Author Topic: EDC Beef Stroganoff Review  (Read 62440 times)

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
Re: EDC Beef Stroganoff Review
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 04:46:55 am »
Yes, I did have a lot of extra sauce! Thought of adding more veg next time, maybe some red capsicum. I'm a cheapskate and like to bulk out with stuff other than meat  ;)

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 03:29:26 am »
I made this last night and it was delicious! I think the paprika and cayenne add a certain something so I will continue to use those.

I like the extra additions people have suggested. Some bacon would be great for example. I will also try it without the sour cream to see what that is like in the interests of less dairy. I will also try making it with chicken.

Good point about the large amount of sauce too. I have some leftovers and will be bulking out with vegetables to make full use of the sauce.

I served it with mixed steamed vegetables - cauliflower, broccoli, snow peas and with brown rice which worked very well.

I couldn't believe how quick and easy this was in the thermomix!

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:52 pm »
A definite "make again" from the wife and kids!

Used yoghurt instead of sour cream to keep the fat down. Also used skirt sliced thinly across the grain to keep it tender.

Very easy and tasty, though not really what I'd call a traditional Stroganoff; more just beef and mushrooms.

I served it with a large amount of rustic mashed pototoe to soak up the excess sauce. I was thinking about adding extras to it next time but on balance think I'll keep it as it is. It would also be great with fettucine due to the extra sauce.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 04:13:47 am »
Good use for skirt steak - great to see you using it.  But yes it does need to be sliced thinly and that takes time  :o :o Sometimes I am just too lazy.  But if you butterfly them too they make good breakfast steaks.  the french love using skirt steak.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 04:23:59 am »
Also used a real lot in Asian cooking. In fact I find the best/easiest place to locate it is my local Asian butchery. It's a good tasty cut and cheap to boot!

Also helps to have it partially frozen to get it sliced thinly. I did it about 6mm thick for this recipe but about 2mm for stir-frys.

tony

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 04:29:24 am »
2mm - now that is hard work !!! Definitely would benefit from being partially frozen. It may be like pork belly soon as people realise how tasty & cheap it is.  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 04:36:55 am »
Don't say that! It's one of my other favourite cuts. My twice cooked BBQ pork belly is awesome (if I do say so myself  ;D) and always a huge hit at parties.

Offline rubyslippers

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 05:26:31 am »
My children didn't like the Cayenne flavour either.  Will leave it out next time.

Offline HelenN

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 02:37:52 pm »
Both of my sons love this recipe - even my fussy one!   Have made it about 4 times now and they ask for it every week!  Normally on a Wednesday after footy training!   I agree that there is a lot of extra sauce - I may also try using extra meat and maybe also adding some veg - however the fussy one might not eat it then?  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 03:02:10 pm »
 Made this last week and this time I doubled the mushrooms and (I think) double the meat - or 1 1/2 times the meat and also add more cornflour (3 tablespoons)  on top of my previous tweaks. This was beautiful, thick, creamy and lots lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline HelenN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 01:37:45 pm »
Both of my sons love this recipe - even my fussy one!   Have made it about 4 times now and they ask for it every week!  Normally on a Wednesday after footy training!   I agree that there is a lot of extra sauce - I may also try using extra meat and maybe also adding some veg - however the fussy one might not eat it then?  :)
Made this tonight for dinner.  I put 700g meat, double mushrooms, handful or so of broccoli, and a small red capsicum...  I cooked it for an extra 10 minutes.  It was delicious over a bed of mashed potato - and a glass of red!!!! :)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 06:54:15 am »
I made this with Faffa's tweaks (and a few of my own  ;) ;D) and it was DIVINE!!! So much better than the original.  My husband is still talking about how amazing it was.  I posted the tweaked version on my blog here.

Offline WAThermoFamily

• View Profile
    • Mish Mash of Food and Thermomix
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 02:10:42 pm »
Dont do the accidental tweak that I did when I first made this.  Accidentally added a heaped teaspoon of dh's hottest chili powder thinking it was paprika ;)  Then to make matters worse dh added extra chilli on his. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:08 pm »
Oh no WATF, was it still edible :o :o
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 01:53:10 am »
I love this recipe, although I do it a little different.

I make the sauce up in the TMX in the morning then chuck it on top of the meat in the slow cooker.

We're having it for dinner tonight.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.