Author Topic: HOT X BUNS  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
HOT X BUNS
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »
I would love to know how many of you make your own Hot X Buns and who knows which day you are supposed to eat them?

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: HOT X BUNS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »
I have been making my own Hot X Buns for 10+ years, we eat them from Friday morning till Sunday, or longer if they last that long, 1 doz in the freezer and I will make more tomorrow, so much quicker now that I have my TM.

Had to google your question, this is what I found.
In many historically Christian countries, buns are traditionally eaten hot or toasted on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of The Crucifixion. They are believed by some to pre-date Christianity, although the first recorded use of the term "hot cross bun" was not until 1733; it is believed that buns marked with a cross were eaten by Saxons in honour of the goddess Eostre (the cross is thought to have symbolised the four quarters of the moon);"Eostre" is probably the origin of the name "Easter". Others claim that the Greeks marked cakes with a cross, much earlier.

I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
I have only been making mine since I got the TMX - before that I never bought many anyway as DH doesn't like them. I will have one toasted for breakfast tomorrow morning then whenever I feel like one.  I only ate the remaining one from last year's batch about 2 weeks ago!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »
Mine are in the fridge now having their second rise.  I never made them before I had my thermomix. Christians eat them on Good Friday.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 07:19:12 am »
I've been making them for years. But since I've had the TMX I make more than one batch and also make them the rest of the year as simply fruit buns. We eat them all Easter.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:32:07 am »
Never have been a real lover of X buns, but made them anyway this year a couple of days ago for a challenge. Never buy them either, so my kids have missed out on this tradition. They are aware of them  ;D and are free to eat them whenever they want if they like them. DS#2 made them today instead of buying choccy eggs for her boyfriends parents
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand