Author Topic: What do people expect/want from a consultant?  (Read 32487 times)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
Re: What do people expect/want from a consultant?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »
I haven't posted for a while, been an irregular visitor so thanks Jo for mentionning this thread on Facebook!  It's so hard to get the balance right.  As Quirky Jo says some clients don't want to be contacted, or have an inital demo, attend a cooking class or anything.  I'll also second what she says about Grace &, here in Melbourne, Janine -the emphasis is on looking after customers.  Happy customers refer their friends.  We don't sell the machines, we merely demonstrate them because they sell themselves!  I've done this business working full time, studying & working part time & it really can be very demanding of time.  The demonstration is the tip of the iceberg & what goes on behind the scenes is quite unexpected.  Our skills as cooks vary dramatically.  I could no more come up with some of the creations many of you do than construct a computer from scratch.  I don't have the technological/social networking or marketing skills that some of the other consultants have.  My aim is to present the machine for people to make their own mind up about it, ensure my customers know how to use it, answer their questions, support them if they need it, be honest & ethical in my dealings with them & fess up when I stuff up. I can't promise to create fabulous new recipes but I try to connect them to links when I find a ripper.  I hope to tell them when events are on but am also aware of the weariness & wariness that surrounds on-going emails.  We are restricted in what we are allowed to send & how we title it - which, I guess is an attempt to protect the brand.  How much of that is from our HO here & how much is dictated by Vorwerk I am unclear.  At the end of the day, if you're not getting what you need - ask for it! I've had times when I haven't communicated with my clients because I've been snowed under with the other parts of my life.  It's not a great excuse, it's just how it's been.  I'm human, we all are.  I've also worked on about 4 computers in the past 3 years & not found an ideal database system. So thank you all for your input on this thread, it's renewed my commitment to do as much as I can to look after my customers. From my point of view, it's always nice to get some feedback when newsletters are sent - especially when I ask for it in them - just so I know I'm not talking to the cyber-wall!!!

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
I am one of those customers who prefer to puddle along and do their own thing.

I had seen a demo 12 months earlier, had a friend with a thermy and knew exactly what I wanted.

My lovely consultant (hi JaneeZee) gave me exactly what I needed.  I ordered my thermy as well as some books recommended by my consultant. My DH attended the delivery demo because I was tied up with a business meeting, but Janee rang me a few days later to see how I was managing.  She offered advice and any further assistance I may need.

Fortunately I was pretty confident with thermy right from the start, having a friend with one, and finding this wonderful forum with lots and lots of terrific recipes to try.  Other customers may not be so confident and may need a bit more 'hands on' assistance, and I'm sure my consultant would have provided that had I felt the need.  She sends me emails of the latest happenings and the occasional super recipe, and I love to read them.

We're all different I guess.  I love my thermy, use it nearly every day, sometimes several times a day, and just love the results.

I'm very happy with my consultant, and would happily recommend her.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 07:29:45 pm »
Yes, big cheers to FF for using this forum in the best way possible: to learn from the experiences of others and apply it towards her own betterment and success. Yay -- you are off to a great start !!!

:-*
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline ViolinCuddles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 08:57:07 pm »
I really like my consultant, but it was hard because she lives on the other side of town and likes to use the phone to communicate where I'm most definitely an emailer (with six kids around the house, it's more efficient that way!).

I would have liked to have more information about special deals and demos (I think I've sold an easy half-dozen TMX to friends who caught my enthusiasm and would have loved to know about the special deals), and then when I did have the Varoma demo it was much more a "hard sell" night than I'd anticipated so I felt embarrassed having invited my friends (who were interested in the TMX but turned off by the sell!).

But when the chips were down and my blades had broken my consultant really came through for me! She arranged a loan set of blades while the new ones came from Perth :D .

Offline Ninny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »
Phew, this thread is epic and awesome! What a great angle from both the Customer and the Consultant. I like Ferral Family have just signed to become a Consultant after owning my tmx since Nov. Thankyou everyone for your "words of wisdom" everyword has been taken on board by me. I will definatley be asking my Customers (when i have one) what contact they would like or expect from me, and let them know that I am here for them. Love Jenny  :)
Jenny ~ Lake Macquarie

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »
This is such an interesting read  :) I don't see myself as being in 'sales'  I love the TM and am passionate about food and it's power to change the way we eat and live. I like to think I am encouraging that change by both demonstrating to people who dont buy a tm and by selling TMs too. Of course I am not working for free and a sale means commission and helps our family with income but I am not doing it purely for the money because I could be relief teaching for that. I think a consultant should know their stuff whatever focus they may have. They should care and be interested in every person who purchases a TM. I personally remember every person I have sold a TM to and quite often their family situation how many kids they have etc. I think it is really getting harder to find good service these days and when a consultant provides good service then they will get referrals. If one customer is giving me referrals on a regular basis I do thank them with books etc. I like to think I provide great service to my customers with my delivery which always includes a free cleaning brush, demos and phone/email support. Like previous posters you do have to be guided by the customer too. I have had some people call me regularly to ask questions and others not need anything other than the basics. I do like to call people who have had their TM for a longer time  occasionally  just to see how they are going. I also send out a newsletter regularly (this year I am aiming for monthly as it was a bit hit and miss last year  :-))) however I hardly get any feedback or response from it which makes it hard to guage whether people appreciate it or want it to continue and can be a little discouraging.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Bonsai

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 01:33:12 am »
It seems that there are many consultants on this forum who are passionate about thermomix and obvioulsy offer wonderful customer service (which costs them in time and money!). I suspect there are other consultants who are doing the job to either purchase their own machine or didn't really appreciate the amount of work consulting could be, or are just not 'in love' with the concept.

Do HO 'vet' prospective consultants to see if they match the customer service levels that are expected?

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:00 am »
Meagan- your newsletter is great :)  It never occured to me to reply, but I love getting the recipes and finding out what's coming up.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:20 am »
My consultant is fantastic, as my TM was a christmas gift from DH, there was a note in the box to contact her when I was ready, which I did after the New Year, send regular  monthly email with specials and when cooking classes are on. Will deliver cookbooks the day I call her, answers my emails, we have had both the demo's and she has been so helpfull ( I had a knee replacement just before xmas) two of my friends have since bought the TM from my demo's. They are both rapt with the machine and the service they have recieved.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 06:52:36 am »
That's great to hear!

Bonsai, yes, in their interview they are supposed to have everything explained to them so they know whether it will suit them or not, and the interviewing Group Leader is supposed to be careful only to join up people who will be willing to do the work, not just people who want to make a quick buck!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 07:40:16 am »
I've only skimmed this post but found it interesting reading. You all know that I was adopted by a lovely consultant and I find that she treats me exactly as I would want. Kathryn I truly love your newsletters and learn from them. The onl;y advice I was given from the person who sold me my machine was don't give up using it before 2 weeks are up. ACtually that was good advice.
I have also found the forum to be wonderful. As for not knowing when classes are on I have always made a point of checking the HO website weekly to find out what was on. This is even easier now that they have recipecommunity.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 08:22:49 am »
Meagan- your newsletter is great :)  It never occured to me to reply, but I love getting the recipes and finding out what's coming up.

Aww thanks Caroline  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Sonan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:23 am »
I went to a cooking class/Cyndi lecture and wasn't impressed at all with the hard sell by one of the team there. It was actually embarassing as she just went on and on. I still wanted the thermy though and luckily when I was ready to buy, a new consultant had started up who is great. Good demo, great manner - have not heard a lot from her since I bought the machine - but I am sure if I needed something I would get it sorted okay.  I guess I don't really know what to expect - just that they are available if something goes wrong or I have a question.
There are plenty (zillions) of recipes on line and on this forum so I am not stuck for ideas ! Would probably like more cooking classes as I like to chat to other owners and see things being made - two or three a year is not many! On a side note, does anyone get together with other TM owners in real life on a regular basis?
Check out my Facebook Group, Healthy Cooking for Australian Families.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=90888828646

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43:42 am »
I can't say I was over impressed with my consultant.  I'd already decided on getting a thermomix when I had my demo and one of my guests also decided to purchase one.   My friend got hers dropped off with the quick usage demo, no food or anything and has not heard from her again.  I got the same usage demo when mine was delivered and a phone call a couple of weeks later.

At the time I know she wasn't on the forum as I'd asked her about it and it "wasn't her thing", which is fine.  I'm interested in having a varoma demo and getting some books but can't seem to get in contact with her.  I also think its wrong that you have to have a demo just to get a book - I know that's not the consultants problem but someone should take it on board.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 10:44:13 am »
Oh and I'd also like to know what accessories are available as I've got no idea!