Author Topic: Cooky's Orange Cake - from the Greek cookbook  (Read 11081 times)

Offline cooky

• View Profile
Cooky's Orange Cake - from the Greek cookbook
« on: April 25, 2009, 05:51:33 pm »
Here's another one recipe of orange cake, taken from the greek TM cook-book :D I'll try to translate into english, so please forgive any mistakes I'll make, or even better correct me, if you like ::)

Boiled Orange Cake

Ingredients:

For the syrup dressing:
  • 250 gr. of margarine
  • 250 gr. orange juice
  • 450 gr. sugar
  • 0,5 of THX-cup cognac or liquer tangerine
  • half an orange, with its bark

For the yeast:
  • 4 eggs
  • 250 gr. self raising flour
  • 1,5 tbs baking powder
  • 2 vanilla flavour

Wash one orange and rinse it well. (we'll use it in the cake) Then produce the orange juice but remember to keep this half orange remainder!

Place in thermomix all the ingredients required for the syrup dressing.
Blend on speed 4 for 7 minutes, temperature 100 C.
When the time-switch is off, pour some glasso into two separate glasses of water, but do not fully fill them. Place one glass in the cold storage and the other one in the refridgerator.

In the meanwhile, heat the oven to around 160-180 C and grease and flour a cake pan.

Next, add the flour into Thermomix, the baking powder and mix manually until it's spread all over. Add the eggs over the flour and blend on speed 7 gradually (but quickly) for 8 seconds.

The yeast is ready.
Pour it into the cake pan and place it into the oven. Bake for approx 20-30 minutes.
When the cake is out, pour over it the syrup dressing from the refridgerator.
Then allow appox 20-30 minutes to cool. During this time, the cake will absorb the syrup dressing.

Once you turn over the cake, pour over the colder syrup dressing, from the cold storage.

The cake is ready.
Bon appetit! ;)

Some notes:
- I thought the sugar was too much in the first place. Maybe the recipe says so, because of orange and cognac taste, so as to balance it. Next time, I will try with maybe 400gr. I won't risk adding less... ::)
- I used normal butter instead of margarine since I didn't have any available.

Here's the photo of my cake.
It's really delicious.
But I was too greedy to taste it so I forgot to take the picture prior to cutting it...
;D

Caution:
Yesterday I cooked again the cake using margarine, as the recipe says.
BUT my opinion is that the cake tastes better using normal butter and not margarine, which has a peculiar smell and taste. I will never make it with margarine again
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:22:09 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Cake
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 09:26:00 am »
Cooky, that looks absolutely delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:27 am »
Thanks cooky - I might shift this to a topic of it's own when I get time - it sounds great.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cooky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:23:30 pm »
Thanks cooky - I might shift this to a topic of it's own when I get time - it sounds great.

Thank you, thermomixer
I never have imagined such a taste for a cake! I was surprised when firstly smelled it and then tasted it. Anyway, I'll definately cook another one these days. The first one already belongs to the past :D :D :D
I also looked up for more recipes in Thermomix's 3300 cookbook, and found two similar cake recipes, one for vanilla boiled cake and one for chocolate boiled cake. When I cook them, I'll let you know. The recipe doesn't differ a lot ;)

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »
Cooky, so really the cake doesn't have any sugar in the sponge. All the sugar is put on the top, twice. Once when hot and then when cooled. I can't imagine a sponge with no sugar at all. Looks good though! Plus the 2 vanilla in the ingredients, is this vanilla sugar sachets or just vanilla essence or paste? l
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Cooky, so really the cake doesn't have any sugar in the sponge. All the sugar is put on the top, twice. Once when hot and then when cooled. I can't imagine a sponge with no sugar at all. Looks good though! Plus the 2 vanilla in the ingredients, is this vanilla sugar sachets or just vanilla essence or paste? l

Hi bron!
No the sponge does have sugar!
Look:
First of all, you make a liquid by mixing margarine, with sugar, orange-juice, cognac and half an orange bark. Then you remove two glasses from this mixture, place one in the refridgerator, and the other in cool storage.
Add flour and the rest, like the recipe describes in the mixture left in your TM..

THerefore, the sponge and the liquid dressing contain sugar :P

As for the vanilla, they are vanilla sachets.. it looks like flour... white powder!

Signed Cooky
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:17:43 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cooky

• View Profile
Re: Cooky's Orange Cake - from the Greek cookbook
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »
New pic (as of yesterday)

Offline cooky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »
Caution:
Yesterday I cooked again the cake using margarine, as the recipe says.
BUT my opinion is that the cake tastes better using normal butter and not margarine, which has a peculiar smell and taste. I will never make it with margarine again >:(

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:18:38 pm »
yes, i no longer use margarine at all, would rather butter which is just cream and not a heap of artificial ingredients ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cooky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:57:51 pm »
yes, i no longer use margarine at all, would rather butter which is just cream and not a heap of artificial ingredients ;)

Thank you sweet brazen20au
You are soooooooo right!
Only butter from now on!