Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478947 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1320 on: December 08, 2011, 06:37:29 pm »
Fundj, I'm in the middle of my big dentristy 'upgrade' just now as well.  I don't think mine is quite as expensive as yours, but still stings at around $10,000!!!!  Good luck with yours.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08:58 pm »
$10,000 is still a lot of money Cuilidh, i did pay it off in 2 months  ;D, now i will be saving for the lower teeth  :'(

i went shopping the other day and for the 1st time in a very long time i had to think can i afford this, so i put it back  :'(

i will have 2 ask DS for extra shifts  :D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1322 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:21 pm »
Fundj, sounds like you do lots of 'extra' shifts , upstairs with your cooking.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 08, 2011, 10:08:25 pm »
The thought just occurred to me, Fundj, with all that money going to the dentists we could buy a couple more TMXs, a car or two, a whole new wardrobe .... gosh, lots of other things.  However, i guess teeth are important so perhaps I'll just stick with my dentist's bills.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: December 09, 2011, 06:04:53 am »
 ;D Maddy love the lolli pop and roller.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »
Yesterday we bought ds 8 an applemac air laptop. We bought from the apple store & for an extra $129 we get 1 yrs tutorial & he can go in and spend 2 hours at a Time with The staff helping him with his projects to get the best out of his applemac.

He will be hyper on Xmas day when he opens it. Soooo excited.

His school is on the laptop programm so in yr 4 they need their own. We bought it a year early so he would  be familiar with it and not struggle (advice from another parent). I have no idea about macs so i will benefit from the lessons. We can have 1 hour everyday for a year, plus there are tutorials on the computer too.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »
It won't be long then Hally and DS will be able to help you out with any problems you have on the computer/iPad. Love to see a photo of his face on Christmas morning as he opens his surprise.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:32 pm »
Hally - does your DS school support Apple Macs? I am a mac convert and love them. I use Parallels to run the couple of Windows programs that I need to transfer data between work"s and my computers.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:41 am »
Yes we are an apple mac school. Yr 4 all kids must have their own applemacs.

Whats parallels?, so far downloaded notes & keystrokes (i think).

People say once you have used a mac you wont go back.

I am very excited too, they synchedmy ipad with it, and we both have icloud, dont understand any of it, but will one day.

Yes JD shoud be able to do my own photos too, download to his laptop & do it myself. Really looking forward to the on to one lessons.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:13:28 am by Hally »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:35 am »

His school is on the laptop programm so in yr 4 they need their own. We bought it a year early so he would  be familiar with it and not struggle (advice from another parent). I have no idea about macs so i will benefit from the lessons. We can have 1 hour everyday for a year, plus there are tutorials on the computer too.

:o Wow....grade 4!  I know DD last year only had the cheap lenovo small netbooks in grade 6, and she was more than ecstatic to upgrade to her own mac in Year 7 (discounted through the school)......they certainly get you forking out the cash early  :o
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1330 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:42 am »
I certainly wouldn't have anything except a Mac.
I've had Macs since the very beginning - in fact, I still have the precursor to the Mac, the "Lisa" which was the first computer with a mouse and I had the Apples prior to that.
In my office my boss initially got Apples and we moved up to the Mac - another doctor who shared the office, when my boss cut back on his practice, had PCs and was constantly having crashes and ongoing problems.  Eventually he switched over to Macs and his employees were thrilled. 
Apple offered and continues to offer many great discounts and support to schools, which is why so many use them and the learning curve is not as steep and there are far fewer crashes. 
One my neighbors got a PC laptop for their son and it was forever crashing which was so upsetting to him.  He has a learning disability and the computer was to help him.   For Christmas he is getting an iPad.  Hopefully that will make up for some of his frustration with the other one. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: December 10, 2011, 07:10:22 am »
no laptops in schools here or not that i have heard of!!  Have seen docs on uk schools who do and one or two tet schools here but its not here yet and honestly Im not sure parents would roll with it...they would want it for free or with a veyr heavy reduction and then I can only impagine the number of thefts there would be with them...

no shopping here of late except for some toys online and some books too..DD has been sick all week but better today ..oufff!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: December 10, 2011, 11:08:01 am »
full size baroque mirror for DD's room......that was fun getting it in the car  :-))

PETE EVANS BBQ Silder Press

Surf thongs, cap, lockable money box for the boy and restocked the fridge  :o ouchy!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
Yes we are an apple mac school. Yr 4 all kids must have their own applemacs.

Whats parallels?, so far downloaded notes & keystrokes (i think).

People say once you have used a mac you wont go back.

I am very excited too, they synchedmy ipad with it, and we both have icloud, dont understand any of it, but will one day.

Parallels is a program on the Mac that allows you to run Windows based programs. Since your son's school is Mac friendly you won't need it.
Yes JD shoud be able to do my own photos too, download to his laptop & do it myself. Really looking forward to the on to one lessons.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
Does parallels allow you to run all Windows programs or just the main ones like Microsoft Office VHJ?

I too am a Mac lover but have been forced over to the dark side over the years due to the type of programs that I have needed to use. I used to work at a newpaper and when we first changed over from the 'old ways' to computers we had the computers installed on a weekend and each person received about 1 hour of tutorial time and we still had the 2 days to get the paper out. Don't think it would have been possible if it wasn't a Mac. I know that many schools use them for the same reason. I would love to return to my Macs but a lot of the programs I use are privately written and therefore not available for Macs.

Hally your son will have no problems working it all out and the tutorials will help no end. Those of us who have used Macs from way back have always known how great they are and the simplicity of using them is one of their greatest assets. Something that Windows has never seemed to replicate