Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5135249 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #255 on: January 08, 2011, 09:05:57 am »
Love a scanpan frying pan  ;D

I made the EDC creamy tomato and salami sauce which I reduced down quite a lot and served on a baked potato - we love that sauce and DS1 eats it happily veggies and all :)

Made JulieO's Chocolate Icecream for dessert...mmmmm...straight to the hips but oh, it was worth it!   ;D ;D

(as you can see from the pic, we were so keen for the icecream, it was still really soft and the raspberries still frozen!!)  oh sooooo good!

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #256 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:50 am »
Andrea, lol, love that desperation for the icecream.
Though my kids all love frozen berries (and frozen veg)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #257 on: January 08, 2011, 10:19:42 am »
(and frozen veg)
Now that's keen!! 

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:26 am »
late lunch, so no one was really hungry.
We had some cheese & garlic flatbread I'd made earlier, and kids happy with a bowl of cereal  :P

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:18 am »
(and frozen veg)
Now that's keen!! 

LOL I don't usually do frozen veg but the frozen berry place does a carrot/corn/pea one for $4 for 2.5 kg so I just had to try it. Last week I made soup and thought I'd put some in and they were all swarming around begging, ended up giving them a bowl full.
But they do prefer everything pretty much in it's precooked stage, lol. They eat any herbs/spices (I've even bought that jarred garlic for them as they love it so much), vegies, dried pasta is a big favourite. I often struggle to get a full meal on the table by the time they've scavenged.

But with the veg at that price they can have a bowl as a 'treat' anytime, lol.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2011, 04:34:27 am »
What was supposed to be for tea we ended up having about an hour ago. Ricotta & parmesan gnocchi with a tomatoey sauce I made up with some defrosted roasted red & yellow capsicum that I chopped, a good spoonful of home made tomato pesto. I sauteed both until it smelled wonderful, then added a tin of chopped toms and a tsp sugar. Let it cook for a little while then added a couple of slurps of chicken stock to thin down a little. Mixed in some fresh torn basil leaves right before serving. Went with the gnocchi perfectly. Will just have toasted sandwiches tonight if we get hungry.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2011, 05:53:46 am »
Wow, that really jumps out at you.

Tonight we're having Jo's chicken sausage rolls.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2011, 12:57:30 pm »
Oh Yum Julie!! Wish someone here would like gnocchi other than me. Esp with lots of sauce like that! mmmm.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
Thanks Zan.  It was the first time I've made the ricotta gnocchi, it was so much quicker and easier than the normal potato one.  Really enjoyed it too.  :)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:56 pm »
Julie that looks so goooooood - I have a similar problem to Zan I am the only one who likes gnocchi, need to invite a friend over for lunch before school term begins, as there goes leisurely lunches and surfing the forum at 9am. Cheers  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:59:59 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2011, 11:55:00 pm »
speaking of gnocchi..over here they have a version you can cook in the pan and i much prefer that to standard gnocchi..has anyone ever tried cooking the THX version in the frypan or does that not exist in oz???  Maybe you need to make it first then once cooled recook it in the pan??? probably wouldnt work and just stick to the pan??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2011, 01:40:54 am »
Made Maddys red curry chicken risotto yum, tonight chicken stroganoff and tomorrow night fast chicken curry all cooked just have to reheat.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:50 am »
speaking of gnocchi..over here they have a version you can cook in the pan and i much prefer that to standard gnocchi..has anyone ever tried cooking the THX version in the frypan or does that not exist in oz???  Maybe you need to make it first then once cooled recook it in the pan??? probably wouldnt work and just stick to the pan??

Do you cook it in the sauce in a pan? Or just cook the gnocchi in the pan.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2011, 02:41:00 am »
Frozzie I've had pan fried gnocchi in a restaurant. Its definately worth giving it a try I think you'd need to use a reasonable amount of olive oil. I'm quite sure the recipe would be the same boiled or pan fried.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2011, 10:45:44 am »

Do you cook it in the sauce in a pan? Or just cook the gnocchi in the pan.

you cook the gnocchi in the pan first then add the other ingredients and sauce after..i normally brown the gnocchi first then add iether oignon or shallots and chicken for example..some spices white wine..let that reduce then cream last and reduce it a bit...sometimes put mushrooms in after the onion and chicken have cooked a bit.. but like i said its a commercial special type of gnocchi ive tried it with other normal gnocchi that you boil and it doesnt work the same..may need to dry it out a little or put it in the pan partially frozen or something??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/