Author Topic: Bit OT - what's the best bakeware?  (Read 34245 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Bit OT - what's the best bakeware?
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
i need to buy some new bakeware so i can have some gluten-free only stuff. i'm tired of crappy cheapo stuff and want to buy some things that will last for the next 30 years...

what's the best bakeware for making breads, cakes, slices, muffins etc?

oh and i DON'T want anything with teflon-type non-stick surfaces  :-X

thanks!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: Bit OT - what's the best bakeware?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:16 pm »
Seems like a lot of folks suggest going to a restaurant supply house and getting heavy weight aluminum.  You should also check this evaluation at Cooks Illustrated http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=10304 and http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=10354.  You may have to sign in for a free 14 day eval to see the results.....

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:55:25 pm »
hmmm i'm also not keen on aluminium either! (or is it 'lined' so the aluminium never comes in contact with the food?)

thanks for that link though!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:36:23 am »
Scanpan makes some bakeware and they don't use Teflon.  I believe that their non-stick is safe to use and the pans are solid and good quality.
An interesting point I learned last year was not to use aerosol spray oil on pans.  The propellant in the aerosol cans is actually propane or butane and damages the finish on cookware. 
What it does to humans is anyone's guess! ???
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 02:39:49 am »
I'd suggest glass then... pyrex or corningware.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:51:39 am »
BTW, I have several of the silicone pans, and wouldn't really recommend them.  They're flimsy, not as non-stick as advertised, and I didn't like the results. 

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 03:52:18 am »
ugh this is proving hard.

i went into our local cookware shop this morning and they recommended some tins - they had teflon. then when i said no teflon they said the chicago metallic ones, which i have just found are coated in aluminium (mixed with something or other). so scratch them.

then another lady recommended the silicone which i do have some of, and i'm with you UC, i don't think they're that great (and the brand she recommended is one i already have)

i checked out scanpan and the only bakeware (ie: cake, bread & muffin tins) they seem to have are silicone.

i'm getting nowhere fast with googling  ??? :'(
My Cooking Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 05:56:58 am »
hmmm thanks for that! i'm not sure i would be "allowed" to spend that much though i do love the look of them! (i know, i'm being a pain aren't i?!) i think i'll just buy some cheap silicone bits to get me through until i can decide what to buy for the long term... lol ::)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:44:11 am »
Karen, have you looked at Analon?  I'm not sure what surface they use, but the pans are hard anodised something or other.  I have had a couple of them and they were fairly good.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 09:31:22 am »
are they the same as circulon? if so yes, we have the frypan but my sister has told me it's also a teflon-like surface (ie: one i'd prefer to avoid). life is so much easier when you are ignorant LOL!
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
  life is so much easier when you are ignorant LOL!
Ain't that the truth !!!  I don't have much of an idea, except to agree with Wareen about the soft silicon pans/trays - they are OK, but don't hold their shape with loaves etc.

Sorry, not much help.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 02:03:42 pm »
Karen anything with a non stick Titanium coating is ideal if it is non stick you are worried about. Titianium is metallic and as it is heated expands thus sealing the surface completely. Resembles non stick but as I said, metallic. Demeyere pans are the cats whiskers and only available at Kleenmaid in OZ but can be purchased on line at Amazon and the like. Not too many actual bread tins or whatever though, more cooktop type cookware

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »
thanks guys, i'm becoming overwhelmed LOL i have to strike quick while the the credit card is available so will need to try to decide soon lol!
My Cooking Blog