Author Topic: Farro/spelt... anyone familiar with it?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Farro/spelt... anyone familiar with it?
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:59:33 am »
Farro isn't real popular in the States.  I've never seen it on a menu, Italian or otherwise.  That said, anything different intrigues me.  I cooked some off in my TM today, and while the taste was exactly what I was looking for, it was rather chewy.  The TM cookbook suggests 17 minutes @ 100C, speed 1.   I cooked mine for 30 minutes+ and it was still chewy.  So, I tried a test and put some in the TM @ 100C for an hour....  still chewy.  Is that it's nature?  Seems to leave me thinking I'm never done chewing.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Farro/spelt... anyone familiar with it?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 09:10:14 am »
i know dani from the kitchen playground uses spelt a lot, but more for breadmaking i think. might be worth popping over to her blog to ask her? :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:38:32 pm »
I use spelt (Farro) all the time for baking - bread,cakes, biscuits, etc.  But I haven't got around to cooking with them as whole grains as yet - although I've bought some to try. 

In terms of baking, it's great if you're intolerant to wheat (which I am) as it has a different gluten structure which most people can tolerate - even quite a few coleacs (have I spelled that correctly?) apparently - although they must naturally approach it cautiously and test their reaction or non-reaction to it.  It's also much more nutritious than modern wheat.

For baking, you can use it just like wheat.  It needs less time to rise when baking bread (which makes it a bit temperamental in a bread machine - needs a quick cycle).  Can also need a bit more liquid adding, sometimes.  Best to make the recipe just as you would with wheat, and then decide if it's a little bit dry or crumbly (it'll never be a lot, always fine to eat) to know for next time.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:29 am »
Farro comes in different forms including a precooked variety (precotto), and broken grains (spezzato) which cuts cooking time.

It is a bit crunchy - like burghul in  tabouleh, but I like that.

Better to cook it in a pressure cooker if using the "raw" variety as it cuts the time down considerably.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:09:55 am »
Hmmmmm.  Maybe I should blitz for a second (or two) to break up some of the grains.....

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 03:25:00 am »
I like your thinking - I was going to suggest that - then pushed Post and thought Blast - I'll fix it later.

Also, soaking overnight like chickpeas and beans helps speed up the process.  Forgot to say that too  :-[
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.