Author Topic: Asian Red Rice - similar to brow rice?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Asian Red Rice - similar to brow rice?
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:41 am »
Just wondering if Asian red rice is the same or can substitute brown rice?   Thank you.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Asian Red Rice - similar to brow rice?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:48:08 am »
I'm not into either the brown or the red Denzelmum but according to this, yes you can.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:38:09 am »
I have seen bags of red rice at  the Indian  supply store I go to. I have never tried it  but after seeing the link that Judy provided I should have a go. It looks very interesting. I keep trying to get my kids to eat brown rice with limited success and the red rice may be more interesting for them.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:52 am »
You are a gem, JD!  Thank you.

Merlin, my children enjoy red rice on local Vietnamese restaurant.  I got  the red rice from Korean shop. 

I will experiment making batter blender muffin or pancake with this.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:42:12 am »
I have used the red rice a few times.
I cooked it just a little longer than normal basmati rice.
Make sure you rinse it well or you get a lot of red scum on the water that doesn't look nice, and if you are doing in Thermie would get into everything else you are cooking.

It was easy to get whenwe were in Adelaide with plenty of Indian and Asian grocery stores around.  We really liked it, but have not been able to get it since we moved to Sunshine Coast.
I was really happy to find black rice at the Yandina market last week. 
And the gorgeous purple "Forbidden Rice" is occasionally available at our Natural Food Store.
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:01 am »
If you can find it, I highly recommend the  Madagascar pink rice.  It has an wonderful flavor and cooks much like a basmati or jasmine rice.  It is also a certified organic and fair trade rice. 

Even with prolonged cooking it holds its shape without breaking down. 

So far, there is only one distributor here in the U.S. and it is a bit more expensive than many rices because the crop is (so far) quite small.   A friend who lives in Victoria was able to find it at a vegetarian/health food store last year.  I'm waiting to hear back from her the name of the place.  (I had been raving about it and having shared some with my daughter, passing on her raves also.)

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/