Author Topic: What to do with left over veg/bones from stock?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
What to do with left over veg/bones from stock?
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:02:53 am »
Hi,
I've just made some liquid chicken stock for tonight's chowder but I have the vegies (onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf, pepper and carrots) and chicken carcass and I hate to just throw it out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I whizz it all up and give it to the dog or should I just compost the vegies and chuck the bones?
Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: What to do with left over veg/bones from stock?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:09:29 am »
I put my leftover vegies excluding onions into the worm farm. Unfortunately any leftover bones and onions can't go in the worm farm as it attracts rodents and worms are unable to tolerate onions for some reason! You could make the chicken carcass into the roast chicken powder in For Foods sake.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:44:03 am »
not sure, but could you add some breadcrumb ,egg  and some fresh veg to the veggies and make some fritters

i dont make fresh chicken stock so i would not know if it will work   ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:47 am »
If someone could pm me the recipe for the stock powder I'd love to give it a go.
Thanks,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:33:37 am »
I grind it all and give it to the dogs with other things I make for them. I try to take the the onions out though. My dogs love all veggies.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.