Author Topic: Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.  (Read 98081 times)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
Re: Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 01:19:48 pm »
Just  added this one VieveMS

I have to say I don't think the paleo people have it right.  Our paleolithic ancestors would have eaten small amounts of whole grains  ad legumes when they were available for gathering.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:37 am »
There are many reasons for going on the Paleo diet and it is the cure to some gut problems. Personally I don't think there is problem with grain and there is evidence that ancient cultures did eat grain.  I think the problem is the modern day lack of preparation of grain.  Most grain should to be soaked or sprouted before being cooked and this is often overlooked. Porridge oats are not often soaked overnight, wheat isn't sprouted and dried before being ground into wholegrain flour etc.  Eating paleo is probably preferable to eating grain in the refined form (white flour etc).

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 05:21:40 am »
I looked at the Paleo diet a year or so ago, and found it very interesting, and it has certainly made me rethink how my diet is made up.  I think I/we have just become so used to an excess of grains: cereals for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, pasta or rice for dinner. 
It was also enlightening to find that I don't NEED loads of carbs to feel full - I didn't realise protein could do that.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 06:07:08 am »
I agree the amount of grains we eat today is higher than needed and the types of grains and how they are prepared is also an issue.

I find that as an endurance athlete a high protein diet just doesn't work for me. When I eat low carb medium to high protein I am hungry about an hour after eating. At the advice of a sports dietician I have started eating a lot more carbs in the form of whole grains, rice, pasta, sweet potatoes and potatoes. Since doing this my late afternoon evening cravings for sugar have decreased and I have more energy.

I guess what I am saying is that everyone's dietary needs are different depending on activity level and genetics.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:40 am »
Great to see you back Chelsea. I've missed you and am pleased you are feeling better. It would have been disappointing to miss out on the trip.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:10 am »
Thanks Cookie.  It is lovely to be on the mend now.  After a very rough six months I don't think I will ever take my health for granted again. :)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:28:08 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
Re: Re: Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:50:53 am »
Subbing in here for some recipes :)

Offline aggiebaby

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 03:28:00 pm »
OMG!  I'm so happy to see a Paleo section!!!  I'm a newbie thermomixer who is also paleo-ish... This is so exciting!!

Offline cazmatic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 12:13:16 am »
Hi look forward to reading through this post! I've been paleo for a month and will be continuing :)

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
The recipes links are great thanks. Seems we are heading different eating plan due to my husband health & I'm just trying to find recipes that taste good.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 11:09:42 am »
Great to see you back Chelsea and getting better. What a shame you had to cancel your trip to Ethiopia! Did you have a special reason to go there?

DD you're correct in that a high protein diet isn't the answer. We still need carbs in our diet, as they provide the glucose we need to burn for energy, growth and cellular functioning. However, it is the correct sorts of carbs we need, whole and unprocessed, prepared correctly.

As for the Paleo diet, it's okay, but instead of reducing grains, as Chelsea says, it's the way we eat grains in today's world that isn't good for our gut health. There's too much reliance on wheat alone and it isn't prepared properly with quick rising breads that don't allow for gluten development, hence the increase in gluten intolerance.

I think some of the basic principles of Paleo diet are good, but I disagree with removing entire food groups. Legumes and nuts are full of fabulous phytonutrients. Legumes must be soaked with some sort of acid or whey to help them break down. I don't believe it's necessary to 'activate' nuts. The theory that phytic acid binds with minerals has no scientific proof. The nuts themselves contain enough minerals to counteract any that may be lost.

Wholefoods, good preparation and clean eating is the best option for good health.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand