Author Topic: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?  (Read 70656 times)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
Anyone successfully made a nice jam?
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:40:23 am »
Tried the strawberry jam in the EDC but it wasn't very nice at all.  Maybe I did something wrong?

Do you have a recipe you can share with me - for any fruit jam (although not keen on orange)?
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Anyone successfully made a nice jam?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 03:44:18 am »
mine have all tasted great but turned out like sauce lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:58 am »
Strawberry jam is really hard to set - the hardest of all the berries according to my Mum (a jam maker from way back). Unless you buy a commerical bottle it is rarely well set.  I made some blackberry jam last week and it is just beautiful.  It is a really basic recipe, but I will post it in the jam section for you.
Chelsea  :)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 05:32:23 am »
Oh yum!  Thank you so much for sharing.  Love blackberries....
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:59:56 am »
Have made raspberry jam using jam setter. Very yum and set perfectly. Just needed to increase the time by nearly double and leave the cap off to allow the steam to escape. I dont like my jam to be very sweet so decreased the sugar.

Both apricot and my peach and passionfruit jam worked perfectly. Again less sugar and slightly more time but very thick and set well.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:04:43 am »
You can add a blitzed apple to help it set - try blitzing it on speed 9.  You can leave the pips in, but even if you just take out the brown pips and leave the rest of the core and the peel, then it will help set it ( and shouldn't affect the appearance or flavour significantly.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »
Half a lemon is the other classic for encouraging set - and the flavour compliments most jams.  Alternatively, consider using jam sugar, which is sugar with added pectin.  That's what I use when I'm making strawberry jam because yes, strawberries are low in pectin and so a bit challenging. 

I haven't had a jam not turn out as yet, although I've had to fiddle with them occasionally.  They've all tasted fantastic.  So don't give up!  You'll soon be turning them out without batting an eyelid!

I'm not near my recipe books at the moment, but I'll try and look out another jam recipe for you to try.  In the meantime, here's one from the uK thermomi site.  Haven't tried it myself, but haven't had one of their recipes fail on me yet

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=30
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Novello

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 11:04:18 am »
Half a lemon is the other classic for encouraging set - and the flavour compliments most jams.  Alternatively, consider using jam sugar, which is sugar with added pectin.  That's what I use when I'm making strawberry jam because yes, strawberries are low in pectin and so a bit challenging. 

I haven't had a jam not turn out as yet, although I've had to fiddle with them occasionally.  They've all tasted fantastic.  So don't give up!  You'll soon be turning them out without batting an eyelid!

I'm not near my recipe books at the moment, but I'll try and look out another jam recipe for you to try.  In the meantime, here's one from the uK thermomi site.  Haven't tried it myself, but haven't had one of their recipes fail on me yet

http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=30
Tried the strawberry jam recipe from the book but very very runny and continued to 'cook' in 3 minute stints like it said and gave up after about 30 minutes - jam tastes nice but is runny like pouring sauce.  I used jam sugar with pectin.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:55:29 am »
Welcome Novello - that recipe should be on the list of corrections - next time

BTW - where are you from? - go to the Welcome section and give us some info  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Karen3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:58:15 am »
I don't know if this helps anyone but I find that I need to cook the jam on Varoma for an extra 5 minutes.  It seems to set better that way.  I have no idea why. I also use jamsetta.
cheers,
K3

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 04:37:30 am »
I  haven't made jam, but I have made Tenina's Lemon Butter recipe from her site.
It is very, very wonderful (especially on homemade crumpets) and I am about to make another batch with all the lemons we have now.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:19 am »
I'm afraid all my jams have been tasty but runny. Will have to try some of these ideas. Strawberries are $1.78 at the local Coles so I may try some jam. Will be the same price as bought jam but will be home made.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:48 pm »
This thread got me thinking about making some jam so tonight my first attempt in the TMX was a Banana jam which was successful. Will post it under its own heading in this section.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 08:05:25 am »
Judy, you clever girl. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:39 am »
Thanks Cookie1 - we are not jam eaters (unless we have scones) so I was rather chuffed with myself. You being roughly my age do you remember our Mums making jam with tomatoes and adding a small bottle of BoBo cordial concentrate - don't know what they called the jam (probably strawberry or raspberry, definitely not tomato jam though).  Anyone got that recipe out there and what would you use today in lieu of the cordial concentrate - much more concentrated than what you buy in those 2 litre bottles today, it was the size of a large bottle of vanilla essence and they used to pour it into a great pot of sugar syrup.  I remember once Mum had the saucepan of syrup cooling in the bath in some cold water and I tipped it out!! That went down well.  ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.