Author Topic: Read the recipe!!!!  (Read 29176 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Read the recipe!!!!
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:28:17 am »
Just a word of warning for newcomers as I am still making mistakes in this regard.  Tonight I thought I'd try the Asian style fish fillets pge 104 everyday cooking book.  Did the first bit with the spices then sauteed them as per a suggestion from Joy.  You were then supposed to coat the fish with the spices, place on varoma tray and add water to the TM bowl.  No, stupid me, didn't read it again and I poured the water straight on top of the sauteed spices.  Buggar!! So we had steam infused flathead instead, no way was I starting the process again. Obviously it didn't taste the same as it should have - a simple error but one I could kick myself for.

Another error I frequently made in the beginning was when the timer went off, I checked the food and decided to give it more time, I used to forget to push the temperature button again (just presumed it would continue as previously set but no, it doesn't).  So be careful here too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Read the recipe!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:00:25 pm »

Another error I frequently made in the beginning was when the timer went off, I checked the food and decided to give it more time, I used to forget to push the temperature button again (just presumed it would continue as previously set but no, it doesn't).  So be careful here too.

That is easy to do - good to see others as impatient as me and not reading the whole recipe thru before pressing buttons.  :D :D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:33:52 am »
i'm a shocker for not reading the recipe! lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26:38 am »
Especially when you have heaps of ingredients in the  *: and then you notice in the recipe you're trying to convert that it says grate the chocolate or parmesan. Something you should have done first when you're using the TMX. :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:31:35 am »
but that's why the recipe books are annoying when the recipes are not in the order required!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:10:16 am »
Especially when you have heaps of ingredients in the  *: and then you notice in the recipe you're trying to convert that it says grate the chocolate or parmesan. Something you should have done first when you're using the TMX. :P

I hate that too!! That's when I wish I had a second bowl. I'm a shocker for reading the recipe too. I just skim thru it and think I know what to do. Nearly all the time it works out fine though.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »
Ohhh, tell me about it!!!!  ::)  I'm terrible for reading recipes properly, and often make mistakes.  At least now I have a 2nd bowl it isn't quite so catastrophic when I failed to notice that I was supposed to grate or grind something. 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 11:49:48 pm »
So what do you reckon... as I am having a demo should I buy a 2nd bowl? While I am burning money, might as well burn a little more seeing as I get a discount?

Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:45 am »
Think that reading the recipes and planning properly would save you the $300 odd for a second bowl.  ;) ;D ;)

But I really would love one.  :-\ :-\
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:39 am »
You only make the mistake once on every recipe! I then underline or high-light what I should have done first.
But then if you have money to spare; why not. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:11:44 am »

But then if you have money to spare; why not. :-\

And how about buying one for me too ? ;)  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:34:32 am »
Actually, sometimes it would be nice to have 2 machines not just 2 mixing bowls :P :P
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 10:14:30 am »
I see. :P :P 2nd bowls and 2nd machines for all? Sure why not   ::)

Hey, that eyeroll smiley doesn't work. :(
Row

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:06 am »
that's because you know you want to buy all your new friends a second machine, go on  :-*
My Cooking Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:39:48 pm »
You know you want to, Rowfyo  ;)

It is completely possible to survive without a 2nd bowl, of course.  But I'm so glad that I bought mine - I wouldn't be without it for the world.  It's amazing just how useful it is.  If you have the money, I'd say go for it.  I only bought mine because an Australian Consultant advised me to get one so that it all looked pretty when I did demonstrations, as my home one would inevitably get battered due to heavy usage.  So I did.  Ummmm - don't actually reserve it for demonstrations though  :-[  It's just far too useful!

Of course, a 2nd machine would be really great too ....
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!