Author Topic: Potato Gnocchi -EDC  (Read 31098 times)

Offline This gig

• View Profile
Re: Potato Gnocchi -EDC
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
Hi,
Just tried to make gnocchi, followed directions I thought, but at 25 minutes cooking time, I already had mashed potato, so not possible to drain etc.  Would it be better to cook potatoes in a saucepan, then into thermomix for making gnocchi dough? Has anyone else had this problem or just me?
Cheers,

Gig

Offline ozzy-dj

• from my garden
    • View Profile
    • Golly's Kitchen
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 10:31:01 am »
Gig, Not with making Gnocchi but when I tried to make mashed potatoes when I checked to see if done they were a mess of mash in the bowl. Never tried it again.   :(

dj

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 05:27:52 am »
DD made some yesterday. She cooked the potatoes in the VAroma and then mashed them in the bowl. hey needed a bit more time than the book said. She let them cool a bit and then added the flour etc. They did need quite a bit of extra flour she said. We grabbed a couple for entree and had them with MJ's pizza sauce using tinned tomatoes, very nice.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Marilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
I made the gnocchi yesterday and they were quite nice.  I don't think you could describe them as gluey.  I used quite old potatoes, can't remember the variety but I remember it was described as floury.  However, when I looked at the pile of dishes afterwards I wasn't that sure I would make them in the Thermomix again - I think I could have got away with fewer dishes without it.  I have enough for another couple of meals in the freezer now anyway.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 04:40:57 am »
It depends a bit on the type of potato used, but better to steam them rather than in the bowl with water.  They need to be dry rather than sloppy, and some even put them in the oven to dry out more before mixing.

Good luck.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Toni

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:20 am »
Try making the gnocchi with ricotta and potato flour. These little morsels are light and have an amazing mouth feel. I created a gorgeous sauce with tomato and ginger but any TM made pasta sauce would do.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 02:52:14 am »
Thanks Toni. We love the ricotta ones, so next time I'll use potato flour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline lizzieO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 05:29:46 am »
After previously making mashed potatoes in the tm and having a scrubathon afterwards to clean the gorgeous Harriet, last night I cooked the potatoes in the basket in my pressure cooker for 7 mins - they come out very dry, perfect for mashing (yes, I love Harriet but she is not always the answer to everything) and THEN I heated milk and butter in the tm bowl, added the potatoes and a few seconds later - perfection. I think I will try Gnocchi using the same principle but without any heat in the TM of course. I am gf and haven't had gnocchi since I joined the gf mob so the ricotta and potato flour sounds great.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 10:06:30 am »
Good luck with the GF gnocchi.  Shame when you end up with a scrubathon  :( :( :(
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 11:38:27 am »
i always bake my potato to keep them dryer
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline NatMc

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »
I made the gnocchi for the first time last week with Ruby Lou potatoes and they werent the freshest. I like all of you frecked when I thought I had broken my TM so tipped all the potato out had a good look put it back in and it worked. Since reading the earlier posts I now realise the problem.

The gnocchi turned out beautifully but I was careful not to play with the dough to much.

I served it with burnt butter and fresh sage. Looked and tasted like restaurant quality. Delish!

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 02:21:04 pm »
i am in the middle making these now! just waiting for the potato to cool down, they do look a bit pureed though so may not work. agree it is time consuming, i am making mine tonight for dinner tomorrow so that when i get home from work it is quick to feed the  toddlers! my dh is supposed to be making the sauce but is currently having a nap on the sofa!
i have made gnocchi a few times before, pre- thermomix and is a lot faster but i did burn my fingers while peeling the cooked potatoes! i have a potato ricer but didnt try it tonight as thought i would follow instructions to a T.
only thing is i dug up potatoes from garden about half hour before cooking so not too old unfortunatly!!!
thought i would jump on here (forum) to see if there were any tips but looks like i should have looked before i started!
will let you all know how the end result is. nicky  :)
p.s at least i get to sit down and enjoy a slice of chocolate zucchini cake while i am waiting!!! (with excess zucchini from garden) :P
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
just letting you all know that the gnocchi was successful and everyone liked it, but def would not do it in tmx again, very time consuming and lots of washing up. dh made the tomato sauce which was very tasty, will try the ricotta ones next.
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:01 am »
Hmm, well I have made this before with great success but not this time. I had about 700g of potatoes so DH reduced the amount of flour but still used the egg and the same amount of butter. Sadly we just have a sticky mess. We tried adding more flour but it didn't make too much difference. I have now put it all in a zip lock bag and stuck it in the fridge in case any of the marvelous cooks here have some suggestions to save it.

Thanks in advance.
Kerryn

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 12:01:26 pm »
We love the ricotta gnocchi with the EDC arribiatta sauce. I do two batches and make them and put them on a baking tray in the freezer until frozen then I put it in a labelled bag for a very quick meal. While the waters heating, cook the sauce in the TM.