Author Topic: Advice for preparation method for Soft Pretzel Bites  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Advice for preparation method for Soft Pretzel Bites
« on: July 05, 2018, 12:14:07 am »
I am not sure whether it is ethical to present this request in this way, i.e. showing the partial ingredient list and method (of the original recipe that is, but not the author’s attribution), so please feel free to delete this post if it is not appropriate.

I am sorely tempted by this recipe but would like to ask our baking experts their advice on the best way to tackle this in my TMX.

The ingredients are:
1 1/2 cups water, warm
1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
2 teaspoons active dry yeast, or 1 package
1 1/2 teaspoons pink salt
3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
3½ to 4 cups organic all purpose flour

And the method:
Start by warming your water. You want it to be warm to the touch, but not hot.

Pour the warm water into a large bowl and mix in the sugar. Then sprinkle the yeast on top. Cover and let sit for 10 min to activate the yeast.

Once the yeast is foamy, mix in the salt and coconut oil.

Now, slowly mix in the flour. Add 2 cups to start, then mix in a cup at a time until all 4 cups are incorporated.

On a clean lightly floured surface, knead your dough for 3-5 min and shape into a ball.

Many thanks for any help, tips, thoughts.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for preparation method for Soft Pretzel Bites
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:45:36 am »
Marina I will give my version but I am sure Chookie will have better ideas.
I would place the water, sugar, yeast, and oil into the bowl and heat at 37* for about 2 minutes, 30 seconds; or it may need more if its really cold. (just till it is 37*).
Then add 3½ cups of flour and the salt on top of it. Knead it until it comes together. See if it is really sticky and if so add the extra ½ cup flour. Then knead until it is a lovely smooth dough and stretches well. (The window pane test) Possibly knead about 4 minutes, Chookie will have a better idea.

I can't wait to hear how they go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:36 pm »
Have only just seen this. 
Marina Cookies method looks great to me.  However being a lazy sod I would put every thing into TMX bowl with warm tap water, keeping 1/2 cup of flour back. Knead for 4 minutes. Use reserved flour to hand knead when shaping.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 12:15:42 am »
Thanks Cookie and Chookie.  I haven't tried these yet - it is still c. -2 here in the mornings (and it doesn't seem much warmer in the afternoons!) so they have got to wait for a little while yet.  Will let you know how I go.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.