Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9005212 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33990 on: December 30, 2019, 06:32:25 am »
Julie,I love the taste of Cardamon.  Something mysterious about it.  I unfortunately also love the taste of good butter.  DD bought me some hand made butter as a gift. Some was flavoured with Fennel, some roasted garlic and some lemon. We tried the roasted garlic today and it is very nice but lacks the kick of raw garlic.
Today made pineapple fruity dream.  RAL loves his ice cream but I haven’t been making it.  I used frozen tinned pineapple and a little frozen mango.  No sugar.  He liked it.  Much healthier than the cream loaded icecream.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33991 on: December 30, 2019, 06:41:47 am »
The tomato and chilli jam has a lovely colour JulieO

I’m creating (or trying to) a birthday cake for DD. It has a very thin sponge, then custard, thinly sliced mangoes, a layer of mixed cream and mascarpone, then a thin sponge with a raspberry jelly on the top and raspberries. We will see how it turns out. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33992 on: December 30, 2019, 08:15:49 am »
Thanks Mab and Cookie. I was pleased with how these 2 things turned out today.  :)

Chookie, there's a french crepe place just off Brunswick st in Melb where they give you a mini cardamom flavoured meringue with your coffee.  Such a nice flavour to have with coffee.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33993 on: December 30, 2019, 12:54:50 pm »
Your machines look good sitting side by side Julie, what did you do with your 31?
Any recipe that cuts down on sugar is a good thing.  I knocked back some apricots for making jam today, firstly it’s been too hot to cook and secondly I’m not eating jam at present.  I have other things I want to cook when the house cools down that are more important.  Mum will appreciate those I did take, just enough to keep her going with a couple a day for a few days.  How I miss all the delicious stone fruit available at the moment.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33994 on: December 30, 2019, 08:28:28 pm »
Fabulous cooking everyone. 👌
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #33995 on: December 30, 2019, 08:57:32 pm »
Your machines look good sitting side by side Julie, what did you do with your 31?
Any recipe that cuts down on sugar is a good thing.  I knocked back some apricots for making jam today, firstly it’s been too hot to cook and secondly I’m not eating jam at present.  I have other things I want to cook when the house cools down that are more important.  Mum will appreciate those I did take, just enough to keep her going with a couple a day for a few days.  How I miss all the delicious stone fruit available at the moment.

Judy, I still have my 31 too. :o  I've had it for 10 years and couldn't think of letting it go so I've covered it and put it in my pantry.  If I ever need to send one off for a service, it will be handy to have.  Can't see me needing to use 3 at one time but I guess it's always there.  ;D

The board on my stove has been great.  Makes things so much easier and is easy to take on and off.  I only put them on there when cooking steamy or fragrant foods to take advantage of the range hood.  There's a power point on either side so it's very handy for any electrical gadgets I may be using at the time.

I still make apricot jam as it's a favourite with my family so I wait until I see apricots on special then will make a couple of batches. It's always greatly received.  I'm not so fussed with other jams, though the marmalade I made a few weeks ago was really good too and if I know we are having visitors I make some of Tenina's strawberry jam to go on scones (my grandson loves them too).  It's not something we eat a lot of in my house but I like to have some in.

Regarding sugar, sometimes that is all you can taste.  You can hardly taste what ever it is you are supposedly eating.  I like to let things settle for a day or so then have a taste test and see.  If the chilli jam sugar could be reduced a bit more I will make note for next time  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #33996 on: December 30, 2019, 09:35:36 pm »
I make a lot of jam.  Most of it is given away.  Although like Julie the GS S love it on their scones. RAL calls it jam currency.  I give a lot to tradies who do jobs for us and a lot goes to the Creswick Swap.  It doesn’t last long on the table.  I make small jars for the swap as there are a lot of single people. We are lucky that we grow plums and apples and are given a lot of fruit.  I find the TMX handy for making small batches. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33997 on: December 31, 2019, 05:51:16 am »
You would be the jam Queen of Ballarat Chookie. There’s nothing nicer than home made jam on scones Julie but I have to close my eyes to those things these days.  I did have a Keto brownie last night, I haven’t missed cakes but that was really nice.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What are you cooking today?
« Reply #33998 on: December 31, 2019, 08:32:00 am »
No cooking here today apart from the naan for dinner.
I'm thrilled with how the cake turned out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:11:38 am by cookie1 »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33999 on: December 31, 2019, 11:13:45 am »
I was pleased with how this turned out. A few changes to the original recipe! It’s not overly sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34000 on: December 31, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
That’s lovely cookie as is the naan bread.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34001 on: December 31, 2019, 10:16:25 pm »
Lucky daughter Cookie, I bet she was thrilled, looks very nice.  ;D

Judy, it's nice to have a little something now and then especially if within your diet.  I can feel your resolve through your posting.  So many just don't have the willpower.  :)

I took my grandson to do a bit of grocery shopping yesterday and noticed the apricots were $5/kg so I picked some to make jam, telling GS that some will be for his mum.  He asked me if I could make some plum jam too as that's his favourite, so I also picked some black plums  ;D  and yes he's asked if we could have scones once the jam is made lol.  Love him.  ;D

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #34002 on: January 01, 2020, 12:23:12 am »
I had 2 punnets of strawberries and a few raspberries left over from Christmas so made some jam out of them.  I still have half a punnet of blueberries and a punnet of blackberries left to deal with.  Not sure what I will do with them.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #34003 on: January 01, 2020, 01:47:15 am »
These are the 2 little (200ml)  jars that I will keep for us to have.  The rest will be given away.

Made NayNay's scones and let cool enough so the jam and cream wouldn't melt.  I had a half of one,  lovely!  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34004 on: January 01, 2020, 06:59:51 am »
Cookies cake and bread look Devine. 
Julie , I had to smile at your GS and his scones and jam.  Be prepared to continue the scones and jam for a few years.  GS Max is 15 and still loves them.  I also use Nay Nays recipe.
Neighbour brought in a fruit cake she made for us for Xmas.  I gave her some ham off the bone and a pot of Apricot and cardamon and pistachio jam. I give her SD crumpets during the year.

It is going to be a stinker on Friday and our CFA  have to stay at the little station just down the road all day.  I have made them some sausage rolls and will make Portuguese Custard Tarts tomorrow. The ones at Cherokee also liked salad rolls.  Will see what these ones like.  I can easily make salad rolls.