Author Topic: Ezekial or Bible Bread  (Read 56070 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Ezekial or Bible Bread
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 05:45:20 am »
Does anyone know whether this would count as a "Low GI" bread?  My thoughts are that it's lot's of whole grains so would probably qualify as it's not just white carbs, but would be interested in other opinions.  I know Cyndi isn't a Low GI advocate, but it might be okay anyway.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:15 am »
Do you grind up the larger seeds?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:47:03 am by cathy79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 06:03:21 am »
I would never have given this recipe a second glance in my early days but now that I seem to have mastered the art of bread-making (thanks isi :-*), I am thinking of giving this one a go. Slightly confusing with the differences in the mix ingredients so I may have to rewrite it so as not to get confused along the way.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:46 am »
I made this today - it is soooo yummy.  When making my "mix", I made it school friendly by leaving out the nuts and sesame seeds.  So I doubled the linseeds.  Didn't have maize flour so just left that out.

I think you could put almost anything in the mix, and as long as you don't use too much mix it should work.  I should have added chia seeds instead of doubling the linseeds.

I made it using Isi's style.  So heated the water slightly, added the yeast and let it activate.  Then added everything else and kneaded.  I let the bread do it's first rise in the bowl, second rise in the tin on the bench didn't do too much, but rose a little more in the oven as it cooked.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 01:26:58 pm by cathy79 »

Offline helsbels

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 12:00:03 pm »
I'm making this bread right now and had no idea how long to cook for (or what temp) as Cyndi's book just says to use a breadmaker.  Thank goodness for this forum!
Cathy, this would be a low GI bread.  All the diff seeds / flours etc would make it so. 

Offline helsbels

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 12:09:54 pm »
I have the 2007 10 Anniversary edition of Changing Habits Changing Lives and the recipe says amanranth or quinoa not soy.  When I heard Cyndi speak last year she was quite anti the amount of soy being added to products.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 05:08:24 am »
That's good to know. Just remember amaranth flour goes rancid very quickly so be sure to keep it (and your mix) in the fridge or freezer.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 06:15:26 am »
Welcome helsbels - glad the forum is helpful.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:20 pm »
Still loving this bread.  Helsbels - hope you enjoy it too.  I bake mine at 180C for about 20 minutes, and then 5-10 minutes out of the tin until the bottom no longer looks spongy.

I've been using soy flour - it's only 1 tablespoon in the whole loaf, and we don't eat any other soy.  But may change to something else.

Interesting about the amaranth flour, as the shops sell it off the shelf and it usually has long shelf life on the Use By stickers. 

I've also started adding the super mix (but no sugar) to my Swirls to make them low GI. 

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 12:46:02 pm »
Like Judy, I'm now confident enough with my bread making that I'll be trying this recipe. I don't have any soy flour, but have amaranth seeds, so will grind them instead.

Thanks so much, this looks really interesting!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2010, 01:14:42 am »
I made up the Super Mix last night and I'm so excited about making this bread today.  I've been making the five-seed loaf from the EDC which is fabulous but this is going to be even better I think!  You'd pay a fortune to buy this loaf from a shop - and that's assuming you could even find a supplier.

Next time I make up a batch of the Super Mix I might halve the quantities because it was hard to find a container big enough to combine and store this much in.  It's a great idea though; it's going to be quicker to make than the five-seed loaf because it's just one scoop of the mix rather than weighing and measuring five separate ingredients.

Question:  Has everyone been using Bakers Flour or just regular flour?
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2010, 03:49:12 am »
I hope you like it Patsycate.  We started finding it a bit too sweet for an everyday loaf (even using rapadura), but I still make it occasionally.

It would be quite easy to make a mix for the five seed loaf also. The following is the formula to make a mix for 5 loaves of five seed bread:

250g oats
150g sesame seeds
150g linseeds
150g sunflower seeds
150g pumpkin seeds
150g poppy seeds

Weigh oats and seeds into clean and dry TMX bowl and mix on reverse speed 2-3 until well combined.  Pour into an airtight container and store in cupboard or fridge.  Add 200g of the mix per loaf.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 04:21:05 am »

Question:  Has everyone been using Bakers Flour or just regular flour?[/color]
I've not yet made this particular one patsycate but I use bakers' flour for all my breads.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 07:53:52 am »
patsycate,  I'd use bakers flour,  also many pastry cooks use bakers flour for biscuits.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 03:41:18 pm »
Chelsea, thanks for the five-seed loaf 'super mix' idea and method - terrific!

Judydawn, Achookwoman, thank you for your replies, I did use bakers flour.  I've since read somewhere else that you should always use bakers flour when doing yeast cooking - so you were both right  :)

We're loving the bread so far - cooked another two loaves today - great toasted for breakfast and it more than satisfies until lunch time.  I've added photos below for anyone who's never cooked this before; both the 'super mix' and the finished product.

A question on the method - I've been preparing the same as per the five-seed loaf, ie knead in the TMX, pour into the tin and wait until it rises to the top of the tin before putting in the oven.  Is this the correct method?  I know most breads are supposed to prove twice but this dough is far too sticky to knead I think.
Patsy in Brisbane