Author Topic: best way to freeze bread?  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
best way to freeze bread?
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:21 am »
The topic title says it all!!
Who freezes their bread, and how? What is the best way to keep it fresh?
thanks guys :)

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Re: best way to freeze bread?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:31:49 am »
The best way is to take it out of the oven before its done and then freeze it(let it cool before you freeze it).  When you need it you just bake it until done.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 12:05:52 am »
We cook our bread, then slice when cool. I then bag it in plastic bags, and throw in the freezer. Whenever we need a new loaf, I just pull one out of the freezer. For the first 10 minutes or so, it can be a little hard to separate the slices, so I try to avoid getting one out just before I have to make school lunches and we're in a rush! Alternately if I have rolls that I want for the next day's lunches, I will take the required number out of the freezer, put them in a plastic container overnight, and we have lovely fresh rolls thawed in the morning.

I have also done as Bluesed recommends - par-baking and then finishing off - when I wanted fresh hot rolls for dinner guests. Worked well.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:31 am »
I freeze packed in ziplock bags, 4 slices per pack. I freeze rolls and just defrost when needed in the microwave if in a hurry or leave them out prior to a meal to defrost naturally. If you wanted to freeze a whole loaf cut into slices it would pay to put the odd piece of baking paper between some slices for easier removal as home made bread doesn't seem to come apart as easily as bought bread. If you want to freeze a loaf intact, I would cut it in half and freeze it in 2 bits if you are not going to be needing the full loaf.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:38:26 am »
I freeze bread sticks.   Slightly under cooked.  Let cool,  wrap in foil.   When I want one to have with dinner for guests,  take out of freezer, leave on bench until needed and pop in oven, still in foil for about 10 mins,  then open foil and bake for another 5 mins.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:52:48 am »
I slice the bread, spread the slices on a tray and freeze them for 30-40 minutes, then into the bags for storage.
The slices will not stick together.

I do the same thing with rolls or hamburger buns for sandwiches, for what are called "English" muffins in the US, &etc. 

It is the only way to handle fruited breads because the fruits will stick together and pull out of one slice, leaving you with holes.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:12 am »
Thanks every one, I knew I could count on you ;D ;D
Now all I need to do is get  baking!! LOL

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 12:50:20 am »
PS, Do you just grad wrap it, or alfoil and then glad wrap? Or do  little freezer bags work best?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:02 am »
Freezer bags are much quicker Kell - I just suck the air out of them - but anything would work, alfoil like Chookie uses with her french sticks or any plastic bag.  You are not going to be keeping the bread frozen for too long I wouldn't think.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:42:06 am »
I tend to wrap in greaseproof paper then in a plastic bag, not sure why just do and I always cook it first. Is it better half baked? I find that when we need bread is usually right now, so it doesn't take long to thaw if I had to bake it would end up too hot to eat right away. I am not a forward planner at all LOL
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:30 am »
I bake my bread loaves.  I then  slice them  with an electric slicer. Some thick slices for toast, some medium for sandwiches and some thin for use in my toasted panini machine. I freeze each pile in bags first so as to keep their shape and then when frozen, I put them in freezer bags and suck the air out. I just take out 2 slices when I need them. Sometimes I just flash them through the microwave for 20 seconds to thaw them but if given more time I just thaw them. I rarely have a problem separating frozen slices but when I do, I find that a knife tip just helps a bit. I freeze rolls but I would par-bake these if I were having guests but frankly, its not worth putting on the oven just for me and one roll.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 12:13:44 pm »
I used to use bags to store my sliced bread but now have great containers by lock and lock for storing whole loaves or half loaves. Love them  ;D they are bpa free and fit a block loaf size well.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »
I'm the same as many others here; I bake my loaves then, when completely cold, slice with electric knife.  I then pop the whole loaf into a large-size snap-lock bag and pop the whole thing in the freezer.  No problem getting slices apart so long as I ensure the loaf isn't squished when freezing so the slices stay square.

I use frozen bread straight into the toaster, or make lunches with the frozen bread (easy to spread the butter without tearing!) and it stays cool in the lunch box as a bonus.  For lunches at home I just get it out the required number of slices in advance and thaw on the bench/sink or microwave if in a hurry.  (Only get out what you need; if you thaw and re-freeze you'll begin to have problems with the slices sticking together.)

Bread rolls just go into another snap-lock bag and treated as per above.

Will look into those lock and lock boxes; thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:14:32 am by patsycate »
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:15:39 pm »
Hmm I used to have an electric knife wonder what did I do with it? that sounds like very sensible
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 07:28:17 am »
probably in the crawl space/attic/garage...whatever you have  :D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/