Author Topic: Spinach and Potato Pie  (Read 7509 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Spinach and Potato Pie
« on: March 28, 2010, 05:55:22 am »
Name of Recipe:Spinach and Potato Pie
Number of People: Serves 6 as a side serve
Ingredients:
50g parmesan cheese
1.25kg potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly
500g water
280g spinach or silverbeet - discard stems and finely slice the leaves only.
6 stalks Italian parsley, pluck the leaves from the stems and use leaves only.
2 tblspns butter
S & P to taste
1 quantity short-crust pastry from the EDC

Preparation:
Grate parmesan cheese 20 sec/speed 8.  Set aside.
Place the potatoes and water into the TM bowl and cook 20-25 mins/100o/speed 1. Check to see if they are cooked, drain the liquid away and return the potatoes to the bowl.  Place the butterfly in place and add the parmesan, butter, S & P and parsley leaves. Mash potatoes 5 sec/speed 4. You don't want to overmash for this recipe.
Place this mixture into a large bowl and stir through the chopped spinach.  Leave the mixture to cool whilst you make a batch of short-crust pastry from the EDC.

Line a 23-25cm pie plate with some of the pastry, top with the potato/spinach mixture, pressing down firmly.  Top with remaining pastry, brush with egg wash and make 4 slits in the top for the steam to escape.
Bake 200oC/15 minutes. Turn temperature down to 180oC  and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 06:00:19 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
Re: Spinach and Potato Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:23 am »
This looks great.  I love an egg free spinach pie recipe.  Thanks heaps.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:39:17 pm »
This sounds like a great lunch for when my vegetarian friend visits. Thanks JD
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:39:34 am »
Good work as usual JD  :-* :-* :-* :-*  - but you could easily add a few uncooked eggs under the pastry for those who can tolerate them - would be good (IMHO)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 11:24:39 am »
Oh JD - I've been wanting to make this and finally got in the mind set to do it and because of potato and leek soup and potato mash I already made this week I had 2 small potatoes left when I was ready to do it. Not to be put off, as I had a whole bunch of silverbeet to use up, I made something up. For a start I made Farfallina's pastry from the Tomato Tart recipe
 http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3683.0
- it is such a good pastry! Then I diced the 2 small potatoes I had into a very small dice, sauteing it with onion, garlic and leeks in butter and EVOO, salt'n'pepper too - while steaming the silverbeet in Varoma for a few minutes. I added tasty, Parmesan and cubed philly cheese (oh and the parsley) to mix and baked for 1 hour. It may be a world of difference from yours JD but it was certainly inspired by you - Thanks  ;).
PS Really should of brushed with egg - oh well!  :-))

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:36:15 am »
Glad it got your creative juices running Nay-nay, probably tasted better than mine anyway  :D :D  Good on you for making do with what you had and coming up with a lovely looking pie.

Offline patsycate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:30 pm »
Hi Judy,

I made this the other week and it was very tasty.  The only variation I made was I added in a little diced ham I had leftover in the fridge and this worked really well.

I did have some dramas with the method though!  Next time I make this I will prepare the pastry first so it can chill in the fridge and then will probably be able to plop the potatoes in to cook without washing the TMX.  Making the pastry after was awkward because I had to wash up the hot dish and the pastry wasn't very happy to be worked with immediately.

I also couldn't fit anywhere near 1.25kg of spuds into my TMX?  Is mine smaller than yours?  lol
I think I only got about 800g in.
They probably should have been cooked on reverse as well because they were mush by the time the cooking time was up and I couldn't drain any water out as they were already mashed!

Apart from those dramas it was a lovely hearty and wholesome meal  :)
I only mention those issues I had in case it helps someone who tries it in the future.
It's a very big pie; we ate it for days after!
Thanks again
Patsy in Brisbane

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 01:33:30 am »
Your pie looks lovely. Thanks for the suggestions and variation.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
I think this is one of those recipes which people will just do their own thing patsycate - just look what nay-nay did with hers.
Glad you tried it, it was quite a while ago that I made it and I do remember us taking days to finish it off too.  Would certainly make a smaller one next time. I like the idea of Thermomixers too - adding eggs before topping with the pastry.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:37 am »
This looks yummy and has been on my list to make for ages.  Will have to try it this coming week.

1.25kg of potatoes should fit in the bowl.  1kg fits easily for mash potatoes - EDC recipe.  :)