Author Topic: Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. Ideas please!  (Read 11450 times)

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. Ideas please!
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:37 am »
I am off to Cairns in July with family..  3 kids, 7-10-13.. We're staying in a family friendly resort..
So, should I hire a car?  We are only away for 7 days, and want to make the most of our time. 
I am not big on 'organised tours', preferring to visit places ourself.  I am wanting to go a barrier reef tour though, it will only be snorkelling (due to kids). 
What are the "must sees"?  I don't mind driving to see things (hence need for the car probably?)
Any advice greatly appreciated!!!  I've been to the Sunshine and Goldcoast before- I love them!!  So hold out great expectations for the North!!!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. Ideas please!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 05:16:02 am »
You've gotta do the Skyrail and Kuranda train. You should be able to get a courtesy bus from resort. Go up on the train and come back on the Skyrail - well worth it.  ;)

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 05:26:12 am »
Thanks Nay-Nay.  Do you need a car to get around Kuranda once you are there? I imagine it to be a bit like Montville in Glasshouse Mountains?

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:40 am »
Yes, if you can hire a car that's the best way to see the area! There's so many beautiful places to see around Cairns - waterfalls, crater lakes, beautiful scenery, coffee & chocolate factories (with free tasting!!)... oops, those are all on the Tablelands!!  ;D (That's where I live!) If you go up on skyrail and hire a car at the top you can go for a drive around the Tablelands - don't miss the southern end, it's the prettiest!!  ;) 

And definitely go to the reef - I recommend this tour: Passions of Paradise. It's a smaller catamaran/yacht than the great big boats, and much nicer!! Holds about 70 people instead of going on a boat of 200-300 people. And they sail on the way home - no motor - so relaxing. I booked some friends on it (with small children) and they LOVED it!!! You get all your food included, snorkelling, 10 minute intro dive, seafood buffet, etc, and it's not too expensive.

Hope you have a great time!! :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 08:39:59 am »
I agree with Nay Nay, definately up on the train and back on the skyrail.  It's smaller than Montville, you'll be able to walk around easily.  Also with the Barrier Reef trip, we went to Cairns for our Honeymoon 7 yrs ago, we did a reef tour and went for a cheapish tour but were quite disappointed.  We thought a reef trip is a reef trip, but not so. The coral was really bland and not many colourful fish etc, nothing like you see in the postcards.  After talking to locals we discovered we had only gone to the inner reef, and we should have gone on an outer reef tour, that's where you see the magical colours and fish.  The outer reef tours are of course quite a bit more expensive but better than being disappointed.  Do some research online before you go. At least knowing this, you will have some foresight into why the prices are so dramatically different (something I wish we had of known in advance).

Hope this helps.

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:18 am »
Wow Thanks!  I have contacted Passions of paradise already to book a cruise! 
I am a little confused, Quirky, you said to hire a car up the top of the skyrail. Debbie, you said to walk around..  I think I will hire a car in cairns, but would obviously leave it behind the day we catch the skyrail / train.  Would I be missing out terribly if I did not have a car at Kuranda?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:38:42 am by jaclom »

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:19 am »
I just meant hire a car so you can see the whole Tablelands, not just Kuranda (which is very small, you won't need one there). I'm actually not sure if you can hire a car in Kuranda, probably have to hire one in Cairns - sorry to confuse you! Maybe do the train up and the skyrail down one day (that's just to Kuranda), and another day hire a car and drive up the south end so you can do the waterfall circuit and see the crater lakes! Worth the drive, takes about an hour and a half to drive up from Cairns. (Yucky windy road, so don't read in the car or... well, never mind.  :P )

I'm so glad you've booked with Passions - you'll see the REAL reef, not the worn out bits close to the mainland :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 10:35:32 am »
Lucky you. It is a very beautiful part of the country. I would think a car was essentila to tour the tablelands. The waterfalls and scenery are really something.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:43:46 am »
Thank you so much!!  We will hire a car from the airport  :D 
Confusion was all mine Quirky!!! I lack common sense sometimes! (it's not so common really is it?)
I am so excited now! I like to go away and have some sort of itinerary in mind..  So far,
Passion reef cruise (1 day)
Kuranda via sky rail and train (1 day)
Waterfall circuit drive (1 day)  Is this the tablelands???

Thanks for the suggestions- keep them coming!! (My hubby will be impressed!!!)  :-))

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
Yay!! Yes, waterfall circuit (and crater lakes & coffee & chocolate & dairy farms is the Tablelands!!)  ;D
You can drop by Quirky Jo's cafe too if you like - it's in between the waterfalls and the crater lakes! :D (That's what my kids call our place!)  :D ha ha

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 11:00:36 am »
HI jackom.

Not sure how much time you want to spend in the car and how far you want to drive.  We've had a couple of holidays in this area (have some friends who live in Port Douglas).  The first time we did a lot of tourist stuff and loved it Sky rail was amazing, but try and pick a day when the weather is fine as you wont see much if it's cloudy or foggy.  Didn't think much of Kuranda at the top, too touristy for me.  There are some beautiful waterfalls about and if you have the time a drive to Mossman gorge (about 20mins from Port Douglas) gives you a taste of the rainforest wihtout having to travel all the way to the daintree up higher.  There is a walking track through Mossman gorge and it's simply stunning (make sure you take some roll on deodorant though - for leeches  - makes them fall off straight away).  In Cairns they have a great waterfront water park for the kids to muck around in (and it's free!!) but I think they do cleaning on a Wed morning so avoid that time if you can.  There is a croc farm somewhere too which we didn't do but have heard it's good fun.  All depends on how busy you want to be.  We found a car was very handy both times we've been up there, but you can make do without as lots of the tourist attractions provide shuttle services.  Have a great time

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13:32 am »
Well, what do you think of the Thermomix Travel Agency jackom  ;D ;D  There is nothing that this forum can't help people with, gotta love that.  Enjoy your holiday as much as the planning of it.  We were up there 15 years ago and did some of the things the girls have told you about.

Took MIL along and her favourite thing was going to an All-you-can-eat seafood restaurant - do you still have places like that up there Jo?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:55 am »
Yes! Charlie's in Cairns is a great all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant that is VERY popular! Good tip, JD!!

Yes, you can find out about just about anything on this amazing forum!!!  ;D

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »
Oh fantastic!! Is Charlie's still there!!?? :o :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:13 pm »
Yes, that's the one Jo - amazing that it is still there.  How long ago do you remember it from Nay Nay?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.