Author Topic: Low fructose chocolate truffles  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
Low fructose chocolate truffles
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:42:51 pm »
Lately I've been inspired by David Gillespie's book Sweet Poison. As well as being inspired, I've also lost 13kgs!  If you want to learn more about his book, check out http://sweetpoison.com.au/

I've just put up a new recipe on my blog, www.thermochoc.com.au, which I've repeated here:

200g 85% chocolate (Green & Black's is great)
200g 35% cream
30g glucose powder

1) Break chocolate into TM and crush on speed 6 for 10 seconds, then put to one side.
2) Put cream and glucose powder into TM and heat on 70 degrees, speed 1 for 5 minutes.
3) Add the chocolate and heat on 50 degrees, speed 3 for 4 minutes, scraping down the bowl after the first minute. 
4) Emulsify on speed 6 for 15 seconds, scrape down and repeat for another 15 seconds. 

Pour into a plastic piping bag and leave it to cool for a few hours, then pipe onto baking paper (or a Silpat) in long logs and let sit for another few hours. Then cut into chunks, roll in your hands and roll in cocoa, or dip in tempered chocolate.

Or if you're as impatient as me, run cold water over the full piping bag for about 30 seconds (being very careful to keep the contents dry!) to cool the truffle mix, then pipe into logs and put in freezer for 5 mins, the cut into chunks and freeze for another 3-4 mins before rolling into balls. 

Enjoy...

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Low fructose chocolate truffles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:55:06 am »
They sound interesting. Are they sweet enough? I find the book rather interesting, thanks for reminding me.

Congratulations on the weight loss.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
Re: Low fructose chocolate truffles
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:11:47 am »
Definitely sweet enough for me now, but might not have been a year ago.  I always liked dark chocolate, but typically 55% to 70%. 

Then when I (or more accurately my wife) discovered the benefits of a low/zero fructose diet about a year ago, we cut out as much sugar from our diets as possible and found that our palates evolved quite a bit.  Now I find 55% chocolate too sweet and I can't bear really sweet things.  The book really is a life changer, but only for people who want to change their life.

I've tried a few high cocoa content chocolate bars, the Green & Black's 85% is fantastic, really creamy and, to me at least, not at all bitter.  The Lindt 85% is a bit more bitter and not creamy, but tempers better than the G&B, so I use G&B for fillings and Lindt for coating chocolates, when I want a thick tempered coating.

Incidentally, I'm now 91kg, down from 107kg about 2 years ago.  I went from 107kg to about 100kg just by cutting out random sweet things and eating very high quality chocolate as a snack (Amedei, Mast Brothers, etc).  So without knowing it I'd already started to reduce my fructose intake.  Then I read David Gillespie's book and cut out all the dried fruit and other hidden fructose and other sugars, which helped me get down to 91kg. 

Not sure how much more I can lose, given that I'm 6'4", but we'll see...