Author Topic: Help me love my thermomix  (Read 20605 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Help me love my thermomix
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
If you cut a small amount off the end of the stalk or even a bunch of celery and stand them in a jug of water they will refresh in a couple of hours :)
Well!!! I didn't know that.Thanks Kathryn. I give wilting roses a hot water treatment to get them to stand upright ;D I never thought of doing the same with celery in cold water. :P
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 01:01:04 pm »
 :) I think planning when the kids are young..as my DH does night shift and walks out right on that 3pm mark I cook dinner just before lunch...but many a time he has left me crying cause it has been a bad day!!
1.Make some playdoh. EDC
2. Make some yummy muffins nothing fancy.
3. Ice cream from the EDC
4. Try yogurt making...no promises here...my kids sometimes eat it somtimes not....but a fruit smoothie for you will give you the energy you need for the day.
5. Chicken and sweetcorn soup..my kids eat this all the time, my failsafe meal.
6. A grown up beef stroganof from the EDC...for you and your hubby
7. followed by an adult cocktail.
8. Not in 1 day...and in any order!!
Nat

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 01:03:52 pm »
If you cut a small amount off the end of the stalk or even a bunch of celery and stand them in a jug of water they will refresh in a couple of hours :)

well I never! I have a very sad piece in the fridge, and will try this experiment...tomorrow!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 01:38:39 pm »
yes havent heard of that one either...thanks for the tip  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline chocymoose

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:04 am »
Hello,

Popping back in with an update. Last week I made Chicken Kiev http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3879.0 Not sure if the link will work but will soon find out! It was quick and easy to prepare and i made a point to make the noisy breadcrumbs in advance while the littlies were still awake and crumbed them when they were asleep. They froze really well too so I will definitely be making these again, perhaps with a little less butter and may try to sneak in some grated veg  ;)  

The one new recipe a week is very managable, this week I'm still deciding between Fried rice and honey mustard chicken. Both sound delicious!

I also tried Garlic prawns and have made Rara's pancakes twice, and probably again later this week.

I made pizza last week, any ideas on how to make it healthier? Once I tried putting more mushroom and sliced tomato on but it made the base soggy. Will have to find some topping ideas, it tasted good but didn't seem very healthy being mostly processed meat and cheese with a token scattering of olives, mushroom and pineapple.

Thanks everyone for all the tips, it is much appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:31:55 am by chocymoose »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 11:52:28 am »
You're going great guns Chocymoose, you might be able to increase that to 2 new recipes a week soon  ;)
Here's a thread regarding pizza toppings.
I've never had a soggy bottom but I believe you can bake the base for 8 minutes, cool it slightly then add your toppings, might be worth a try.
Have you tried the Jamie Oliver pizza dough?  I haven't myself but those on here who have, love it.  You will find the link to the recipe in this thread.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:40 pm »
Mushroom do hold a lot of moisture, mushroom should always be the last topping with very little chesse of top of them

Make a fresh tomato sauce with the tomatoes and reduce until thick

if the kids like garlic prawns add them to a pizza

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »
 :D :D Floppy maybe, but not soggy.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2011, 06:07:04 am »
hahhaha uyou girls are on a roll today...the humour is out and about  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 09:30:08 am »
Get the kids involved in the cooking (Dezelmum's photo is great) no matter what age - have a look at Liam's First Custard video http://www.superkitchenmachine.com/2009/2940/chocolate-custard.html and you'll get the idea.  Make up a batch of bread dough then get the kids to make shapes/animals etc before popping into the oven to bake (the bread that is, not the kids) - if they "made" it they're more likely to eat it.

I've also found changing taste slightly and using crazy names helps in getting kids to eat/drink. Our two wouldn't drink fruit juice. That changed when I added a few drops of Angostura bitters to apple juice and called it "Fairy Wee", bitters in orange juice was transformed into "Dragon's Blood" and soon their friends were also asking for the "naughty" juice (what their parents thought I shudder to think  ;D)

A final tip - get DH involved in the cooking too. I'm a DH (though sometimes just a H  :-\) and now probably use Bimbo more than DW!!  HAVE FUN.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.