Author Topic: Zucchini - Chicken Skewers (with photo)  (Read 7078 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
Zucchini - Chicken Skewers (with photo)
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:13:48 am »
Ingredients:
40g parmesan, chopped roughly
1 clove of garlic
400g chicken breast, fat&nerves removed, chopped into cubes
220g zucchini
100g bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt, ground ginger, dried thyme, curry

Preparation:
# Grate parmesan for 15 seconds speeding up from 2 to 9 and set aside
# Chop garlic and 200g of chicken for 10 seconds on Speed 7. Set aside
# Mince the remaining 200g of chicken for 10 seconds on Speed 7.
# Put back garlic-chicken mixture into TM Bowl
# Add zucchini, bread crumbs, egg, salt and spices. Mix 30 seconds on Speed 7
# Oil your hands a little. Get pieces from the mixture and thread onto skewers
# Cover oven tray with baking paper. Place the skewers
# Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC. After 15 minutes passed, turn them and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until browned

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2010/10/zucchini-chicken-skewers.html
http://www.cookaround.com/yabbse1/showthread.php?t=46488

members' comments

Kym -  I actually over processed the mince and then couldn't find our skewers so I turned them into chicken and zucchini cakes.  The kids loved them! My eldest thought that were huge chicken nuggets so they'll be on the menu again as its an easy way to get some vegies into her.

JD - did 1/2 quantity and cooked them outside in the weber. 
Because that usually runs hotter than an oven, I reduced the cooking time to 20 minutes all up.  DH is on medication which makes food taste dry so he naturally said they were tasty but a bit dry but to me they were perfect.  I would maybe add a little more zucchini next time to see if that would make them more moist for him and they are a great idea for BBQ's.  I used metal sticks which I sprayed and they just slid off so easily so could be used in long bread rolls or in wraps with salad.  Thanks farfallina .
I sprayed them with oil before popping into the weber - has to help with the browning. It made 5 from half the recipe -  they ended up the size of a thick sausage.  Will check after 15 minutes next time.

Jannikins - I used chicken thigh as that's what I had in the freezer.
I think it would be better to chop the Zucchini in the TMX before adding with other ingredients, some bits were still chunky, and I had to give it a bit longer.
The mix was very soft so I could not be bothered trying to get it onto skewers, I dolloped it onto the baking sheets, making flat little kofte type things.
They were ok,  I ate them with some sweet chilli sauce, would be a nice addition to party food.
MMM I have to say they just might be even better cold.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Zucchini - Chicken Skewers (wıth photo)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:12 am »
They look great. They remind me of a Turkish dish that I saw on a TV program.  Great idea doing them in the oven rather than on a grill.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Zucchini - Chicken Skewers (with photo)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:40 am »
I missed these farfallina. They look lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 12:25:15 pm »
We had this tonight.  I actually over processed the mince and then couldn't find our skewers so I turned them into chicken and zucchini cakes.  The kids loved them!  My eldest thought that were huge chicken nuggets so they'll be on the menu again as its an easy way to get some vegies into her.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:11:57 am »
Had these for lunch today, did 1/2 quantity and cooked them outside in the weber.  Because that usually runs hotter than an oven, I reduced the cooking time to 20 minutes all up.  DH is on medication which makes food taste dry so he naturally said they were tasty but a bit dry but to me they were perfect.  I would maybe add a little more zucchini next time to see if that would make them more moist for him and they are a great idea for BBQ's.  I used metal sticks which I sprayed and they just slid off so easily so could be used in long bread rolls or in wraps with salad.  Thanks farfallina  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:07:26 pm »

I am happy you enjoyed them judy  ;)
By the way your plate looks so delicious!!

Yes, they can be cooked a bit less I think, this also depends how thick they are
Before, I had gas oven and it was giving me hard time from time to time as it hardly browned stuff
I am new to electric oven. I am trying to learn these days. Next time I try to cook them with fan.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 11:20:41 pm »
Oh, I did spray them with oil before popping into the weber farfallina - has to help with the browning. It made 5 from half the recipe -  they ended up the size of a thick sausage.  Will check after 15 minutes next time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 11:58:03 pm »
Good idea to weber them JD - I think I will be trying this recipe and that method next week.

Thanks for the recipe Farfallina, and for your idea and picture JD.  :)

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 05:58:27 am »
Ok I thought it would be more appropriate to post here to tell you how these went.
here's what I did.
I used chicken thigh as that's what I had in the freezer.
I think it would be better to chop the Zucchini in the TMX before adding with other ingredients, some bits were still chunky, and I had to give it a bit longer.
The mix was very soft so I could not be bothered trying to get it onto skewers, I dolloped it onto the baking sheets, making flat little kofte type things.
They were ok,  I ate them with some sweet chilli sauce, would be a nice addition to party food.
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 02:03:22 pm »
MMM I have to say they just might be even better cold.
Jan-South West Aussie