Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478326 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #16035 on: February 07, 2020, 10:39:28 am »
When we shifted to Invermay we sorted through all our books.  1/2 went to the Op Shop. None were cooking books.  The ones we kept , other than the cooking books, have significant meaning for us.  We both studied Literature at Melb Uni at a time of cultural change.  The literature we studied reflect this. These are some of the books we kept.  Until we are in a situation where we significantly have to down size, we will be keeping our books. I will try not to buy too many more.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16036 on: February 07, 2020, 10:42:57 pm »
Books books books. Wow. I was able to dispose of  all my books when I moved to Cairns. Books do not do well in the Wet Tropics! I took to kindle but not for my cook books. But then I downsized and realised I really use the Internet more  as Judy says. I now am eyeing off getting rid of th e8 of the 10 I have left. I will never get rid of  my Thai cookbook as it is a direct translation in English from Authentic  recipes and is pretty rare. I have had it for 40 years. Maggie Beer is the other one.

Gert

I love looking at my cookbooks through the Kindle App on my iPad/laptop or through the iBooks app whichever they may be on. Don't have to worry about having good lighting to see and no storage issues. I would honestly only ever buy books as an ebook if all were available on that platform.

You can now download books/mags onto your device through a lot of libraries, this is what I do when wanting to look at food mags (though to be honest, I haven't done so for a while, but it's nice knowing it's there). :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16037 on: February 08, 2020, 09:03:44 pm »
I have a subscription to Dish.  It is a NZ magazine. Love it.  Julie, like you I have some foodie magazines on line but don’t really enjoy this method of looking at them.  May be a generational thing. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: February 09, 2020, 07:11:55 am »
I have heaps of magazines in the cupboards, mainly BBC Good Food ones. I now get it on RB Digital through the library. Cheaper and easier to store.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16039 on: February 09, 2020, 08:14:36 pm »
I am like you Chookie, I prefer my recipe books to be hard copy.  I have a couple on my Kindle, but never look at them, it is just too hard (and they are not in colour!).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16040 on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »
Simple pleasures are the best. A cup of good coffee and cook book at 11 am.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16041 on: February 09, 2020, 10:31:10 pm »
I am like you Chookie, I prefer my recipe books to be hard copy.  I have a couple on my Kindle, but never look at them, it is just too hard (and they are not in colour!).

Cuilidh, do you have an iPad or laptop/computer?  You can download the free Kindle app so you see the book just as it is in real life, full colour etc.  I enjoy my Kindle too but only for reading books, not viewing.

I'm having a good coffee right now Chookie, I couldn't wait for 11am  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: February 10, 2020, 06:05:44 am »
I had a lovely surprise this morning. I had a delivery from the parcel post man and it was my coffee machine coming back. I unpacked it and immediately made myself a coffee. So far so good. The turn around for it to go back for repairs was a month, which wasn't bad.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: February 10, 2020, 07:32:30 am »

Cuilidh, do you have an iPad or laptop/computer?  You can download the free Kindle app so you see the book just as it is in real life, full colour etc.  I enjoy my Kindle too but only for reading books, not viewing.

I'm having a good coffee right now Chookie, I couldn't wait for 11am  ;D
Thanks, JulieO, I didn't know that.  I will have to investigate it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: February 11, 2020, 10:09:39 pm »
Thank you again, JulieO, I downloaded the Kindle app onto my desktop this morning and it is wonderful - now I will happily start downloading recipe books :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16045 on: February 12, 2020, 08:49:51 pm »
Must try this.  Thanks Julie and Marina.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: February 12, 2020, 08:51:17 pm »
Great news Cuiidh, I'm so pleased.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: February 13, 2020, 03:14:42 am »
I use my iPad a lot when I’m cooking.  I have a fair few e recipe books.  I have lots of recipes stored on my old iPad too. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16048 on: February 13, 2020, 08:28:36 am »
Made a mess of trying to load Kindle. Problem is I may have had it a long time ago.  We now have different address ,  phone numbers and post code. Will have another go when I have someone to help me.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16049 on: February 13, 2020, 10:33:29 am »
Made a mess of trying to load Kindle. Problem is I may have had it a long time ago.  We now have different address ,  phone numbers and post code. Will have another go when I have someone to help me.

Do not worry my friend. Delete all kindle apps and start again.  Try to remember when you first set up an Amazon account. If you cannot then just set up a new Amazon account with a new address and a NEW password.
Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.