Author Topic: EDC Sponge cake - Don't bother  (Read 21802 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: EDC Sponge cake - Don't bother
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »
I gave my small hand mixer away to my sister when she moved out of home and was setting up home.

Barbara, will have to try your translated method sometime.  So many things to cook! 
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:22:31 am »
I also have to agree with you Amanda.  After several flops re pavs exc I also now use my kitchen aid.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:58 am »
I my KA and wouldn't be without it.
When making sponges, something that I do very well, I never mix the flour in with the beater whisk, rather I remove the whisk and use it to incorporate the flour. My recipe uses only 4 eggs, but the eggs are beaten for 3 minutes, then sugar added, then another 5 minutes.
Perhaps just try the egg and sugar beating for longer and then remove to a bowl to sift in and incorporate flours?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline containergirl

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 07:47:38 am »
Great thread to read.  Some recipes seem to be temperamental.  Thank goodness we can share tips to the common problems.  It is soooooo frustrating when you follow a recipe and it flops.  Following recipes isn't my strong point so I feel really miffed when I do and it doesn't work

I haven't tried the sponge but one friend swears by the recipe.  She had never made a sponge before and thought it would flop but was brilliant and she keeps turning them out.

My sister (who lives further south) has been making top ricotta but following the same recipe but I made buttermilk.  I think I might get some answers when I go back over the thread on ricotta making.
Senior Princess
Pimlico Palace

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:20 am »
When making sponges, something that I do very well, I never mix the flour in with the beater whisk, rather I remove the whisk and use it to incorporate the flour. My recipe uses only 4 eggs, but the eggs are beaten for 3 minutes, then sugar added, then another 5 minutes.
Perhaps just try the egg and sugar beating for longer and then remove to a bowl to sift in and incorporate flours?

That may work, but doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the TM as you would then end up with 2 dirty things to wash? ???
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 07:02:31 am »
I just found this recipe from  my consultant and remember making it last year. I am not a cake baker so was dubious but I do remember that it worked for me.

4 large eggs room temp separated
125 gms raw sugar
125 gms corn flour

Pre heat oven 180 degrees
Place raw sugar into *: mill for 6 seconds on Speed 9 and set aside
Attach butterfly and place egg whites into  *: whisk  4-6 minutes on speed 4
Add sugar through hole in lid and whisk for 2 minutes  speed 4
Add egg yolks and whisk for 2 minutes on speed 4
Add cornflour gradually  through hole in lid over 1 minute on speed 1-2
Remove butterfly and continue folding in cornflour with spatula assistance  through lid for 30 seconds  on speed 1

Pour batter ihnto greased 24 cm spring form pan and bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown.

My consultans calls this her never fail recipe.

I'd be interested to now from you bakes if this is really a never fail recipe.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:57 am »

That may work, but doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the TM as you would then end up with 2 dirty things to wash? ???

Well, at least one is easy to wash!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 11:08:01 am »
Thanks Gerty - sounds good.  might have to put in the cakes section.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »
Hi Gretch

Fantastic - a gluten free recipe too! I'm also still experimenting with sweeteners to find what I'm not allergic too. I'll try rapadura and also try Jo's formula for substituting honey for sugar.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 06:42:34 am »
Hi Gretch

Fantastic - a gluten free recipe too! I'm also still experimenting with sweeteners to find what I'm not allergic too. I'll try rapadura and also try Jo's formula for substituting honey for sugar.

Duh, now why didn't I think of that! :-[

Clever you moonmobile. I hope someone tries it and it works.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 12:09:19 am »
Gert, I will definitely be trying it soon - will let you know how it turns out.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »
Rather than try Gretchen's, I used my own No Fail Recipe and it worked fantastically! See this thread.
The Bush Gourmand

jakodai

Re: Re: EDC Sponge cake - Don't bother
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:01 am »
I made the EDC sponge cake yesterday, but used my bench mixer instead, and it turned out great. I used the whisk attachment to whip the egg whites and also for the yolks & sugar, then used the paddle attachment on low speed to mix in the flour. I was a little sceptical when I made it that a cake with so few ingredients would turn out well, but it did! The oven had a very strong cooking eggs smell, though... Lol

I filled it with jam and whipped cream and iced it with strawberry flavoured icing and topped it with sprinkles.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:13 pm »
Looks like there is abit of height, I will look up this recipe as sponge cake is G.O.O.D.
I have a couple of no fail recipes...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2013, 01:26:00 pm »
I agree with others, TMX is good but KA will always win when it comes to cakes etc. the other day I used TMX for pancakes and there was a gluggy blob at the bottom that hadn't mixed properly so never again for me.
From Perth WA