Author Topic: African quinoa stew  (Read 18409 times)

Bonsai

Re: African quinoa stew
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:42 pm »
larger okra can be a bit stringy - look for ones which are a bit bendy (but not droopy) without black spots on them. The frozen ones are always OK but can be hard to find - used to get them in Woolies but now more likely to find them in asian supermarkets.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:58 pm »
I made this again today. It came out way too runny.  I am not sure if I did something wrong in following my own recipe or if I wrote it down wrong when I posted it. I ended up adding more quinoa and cooking for an additional 10 minutes.  It was still not as thick as I expected.

I will have to make another batch when I have some time and tweak the recipe a bit.

Offline megant

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 05:48:03 am »
Mine was quite running when I made it, but I just added some corn flour to thicken it up.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 01:10:37 am »
Thanks Dashingden. Looks like a really interesting recipe. Am definitely going to try it.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »
We had this for dinner last night with some red quinoa and some (cheap) lamb. I cooked the lamb in two batches with some EVOO on speed 1, reverse, 100 degrees for 7 minutes the first batch then 5 for the second batch and set it aside. I then added the lamb (including the juices in the bottom of the bowl) back in with the rest of the main ingredients. The amount of water was much less, not sure how much exactly but enough to get it up to just under the 2 litre mark as per the original instructions. I increased the cooking time to 20 minutes before the zuchinni went in.

This was a delicious meal! The whole family really enjoyed it and I even had DH say that he would enjoy it without the meat or with chicken as well. This will go on our list of quick, easy and delicious dinners.
Kerryn

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 01:25:13 am »
I made this a week or ago, although I didn't have quite enough peanut paste and only had crushed nuts rather than whole peanuts, which actually gave a texture I liked. My husband and I really enjoyed it and thought it was something we could definitely play with and tweak further. The kids weren't so keen, so it probably won't make it onto the regular meal cycle for that reason.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 11:08:06 am »
Made this again tonight, but must have used a bit too much meat as this is what happened when DH tried to add the zuchinni at the end...
Kerryn

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:30 pm »
Lol. Oops what a mess :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:07 am »
It was a mess, but he 'made it fit' in the end.
Kerryn

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »
I've been looking for other recipes that use quinoa since I've recently discovered it. The ingredients in this recipe sounded good so I thought I'd give this recipe a go and I have to say that it was really lovely.

I'm definitely making this again as it's easy prep, easy cleanup and good for you, as well as tasting great! Thanks for posting Dennis!

Here is a photo which probably doesn't appealing but definitely tastes so and not hot at all (hubby added extra chillies to his):

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:33 am »
No, Tasty that doesn't look "appealing"... it looks AMAZINGLY appealing!!! ;D ;D ;D

I need to try this recipe :D

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:50 am »
Dashingden this was just lovely. I used a large tin of kidney beans and didn't add as much water. I just poured some in and stirred until it looked 'right' and added chopped roast lamb when I added the zucchini and some almonds. It ended up about half an inch from the top.

Thanks for such a tasty recipe. My guest and husband really enjoyed it, and so did I. ;D

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »
I made this for DM and SD tonight. I only used 400g water, and after leaving it to stand for a while in a casserole dish, I ended up with a lovely, thick consistency :)
Mum said it was very tasty. Thanks for the recipe Den! :D

Mama Fergie

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 02:23:06 pm »
Okra would be great but not cooked the African way.
They cook it into a slime and eat it like a soup or gravy.
For my palate yuk!! I like my okra cooked but holding its shape and texture  :)

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »
I am glad that your mum enjoyed it Amy.  It is probably even healthy enough four you to eat a small serving.