Author Topic: The continuing adventures of RC - the down under chapters.  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
The continuing adventures of RC - the down under chapters.
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:42:45 am »
Hey everyone,

As some of you have already read the first 24hrs in 'The Land Down Under' were nothing but eventful for RC and his well travelled Thermie friend. I am normally an unflappable sort of chap (IMHO) however a non working Thermie at the point of unpacking had me in a bit of a tailspin. MrsRC2B hadn't even used the kitchen tool of awesomeness and it was looking like she might have to wait a little bit longer until she too had that moment of 'culinary clarity' that is seemingly still reserved for the knowledgable minority (Thermie owners!). As I mentioned in my closing comments on my Thermie distress call post the team here in Brisbane are nothing short of fantastic. The end result was a working Thermie, not just working but working without a plug adapter - this was good news as it meant that MrsRC2B could begin her transition from Baking genius to Thermie Goddess! And so the events of the weekend unfolded thus;

Friday night.

After a day in the office MrsRC2B was keen to get stuck into the Thermie and its culinary capabilities. It is interesting to see the differences in recipes that we are naturally drawn to. MrsRC2B is more inclined to seek out breads and deserts whereas I am more of a savoury person so between to pair of us we can pretty much do 4 courses in an evening......hhhmmm I can see a few more trips to the gym at this rate. As I have already mentioned, portion control isn't a strong suit of mine especially as I was brought up on the notion of 'eat all your dinner otherwise you are getting it for breakfast!'  :P
Most of the evening was spent flicking through the Australian EDC and Quirky Cooking. We both liked QC as we have a certain member of the family that can be challenging to cook for so this looks like a great book for the 'caring but blasé' approach along the lines of.....'Oh it was nothing honestly as we cook this sort of thing all the time', knowing damn well that the person in question will absolutely enjoy the offering! ;)

Saturday Afternoon.

After walking around the Food and Wine expo in Brissy we came home to get stuck in. MrsRC2B was literally itching to get her sticky mitts on Thermie. The recipe of indoctrination was none other than the Sausage Buns as there was a pastry / dough element that naturally caught my Fiancées eye and we just so happened to have some sausages that needed using up. Naturally I HAD to use the BBQ that has been dormant since I packed it up when flying back to the UK in July. Winner all round I would say.  ;D
Completely unperturbed and with the minimum of explanation MrsRC2B 'cracked on', pulling out the necessary ingredients and even went as far as getting the weighing scales out, Oh the innocence of it!  :D After a brief 'show and tell' of the scales function she was once again twisting, pressing, ooooooohhhhing and aaaahhhhhing as Thermie walked its way around the kitchen top doing its doughball shuffle! 2.5mins of kneading later and MrsRC2B is dubiously yet pleasantly surprised at the mass of perfectly kneaded sticky dough that is now plopped into the awaiting oiled mixing bowl already prepared for proving.
The dough was fantastic in its behaviour, it did exactly as it was supposed to do......it quietly got on with its proving and doubling in size. I am sure that the Brisbane climate had something to do with it, I am however more certain that the Brisbane climate is something that I am going to have to 'learn' to get used to........between the high 20's temperature and the jet lag I was considerably less active than the dough!
First proving complete and the cooked and cooled sausages awaiting it was on to phase two. MrsRC2B was in her element dividing up the dough and then kneading and doing the necessary for the second proving ahead of rolling out the divided 'buns'. I must confess that I was completely oblivious to the efforts involved with great sausages rolls. All this waiting for dough to prove etc. I guess that is why I waited to attempt anything 'bread like', well other than the banana loafs that I made but I guess they don't count.
After the proving had finished for the second time we had 8 softball sized bun shapes that were ready for rolling out and wrapping around the awaiting sausages. It was at this point that we were both convinced we had either too much dough or not enough sausages........quick thinking was required to ensure we wasted nothing. We both came to incredibly similar solutions almost immediately. Use the remainder of the dough for a 'pull apart'. Decision made, complete the sausage buns first so that they could have their final proving ahead of cooking and then we would use the remainder of the dough to make a miniature veggie mite (still have my reservations about this when compared to its Northern Hemisphere cousin!) and cheese pull apart. MrsRC2B was clearly in her element as she was spreading and sprinkling and wrapping and packing whilst I was flagging on the sofa and complaining about how long it was taking to get a sausage roll......  ??? ???

Well, I can say that the final products were absolutely worth waiting for. I was going to put up a couple of pictures of MrsRC2Bs perfectly formed buns after proving, but thought that I might get the wrong sort of reaction from the forum moderators so I have opted for the safe option and posted pictures of the pre and post cooking sausage buns and a quick pic of the pull apart. I know that its not exactly rocket science but I can assure you that the veggie mite and cheese mixture 'rocks!'.

I will post later about the efforts of sunday, needless to say that Thermie was busy busy busy and it would appear as though MrsRC2B is absolutely a convert of this culinary tool of brilliance.

Please excuse the poor pictures but I was trying to compress them so that I could get all 4 up.

TTFN everyone

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline MEP

• View Profile
Re: The continuing adventures of RC - the down under chapters.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:37 am »
Wow. They look delicious. Looks like thermie had no time to recover from jet lag.
From Perth WA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 01:29:54 am »
Brilliant RC, I can see the TM5 being in constant use in your house with both of you interested in cooking.  Thanks for sharing the journey with us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:56:23 am »
fantastic RC :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:37:08 am »
Great job RC, they all looks fantastic

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:26:57 am »
Impressive,  I love it when forum members keep pushing themselves to create more and more,  well done.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:36 am »
Congratulations on some great cooking. It looks as though everyone and everything has settled in well. I am pleased MRC2B loved thermie too.
A lovely story to read too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:02:41 am »
They look terrific RC, well done and glad you are both enjoying your TMX  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:26:53 am »
I am thinking you may actually need two TMX.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:13:40 am »
Great results RC 8) It all looks delicious.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Deniser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 09:39:16 am »
These look fabulous and are on my list but somehow I seem to be getting a longer and longer "list"  - so many recipes I want to try and just not enough eating time. (otherwise I will be joining you guys at the gym)
You haven't failed at anything until you stop trying.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »
Yum!

Offline Rotorchef

• This thing chops and slices too.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:13:44 am »
Everyone,

Not being slack, well actually I am but there is a good reason for this. I have been stuffing my piggy chops with all of the amazing food that MrsRC2B has been conjuring up in the TMX.

I have however been lazy on the photography front I'm afraid. I have spend far too much time eating to only have that after thought of ......damn I didn't take a picture of whatever it just so happened to be.

Thus far we have made (in addition to the other post),

Garlic and Prawn risotto
5 seed loaf (OMG how good was that!  :o)
Vegetable stock past (only added 75g of salt though as I just couldn't bring myself to add all that salt)
Chicken, garlic & ginger stir fry - initially from Aussie EDC but then poetic freestyle approach as I once again chose the recipe without confirming what we actually had in the fridge  ;D (sound familiar?)
Chorizo, pea and lemon risotto (using the veggie stock) - We went rather off piste from the recipe found on this blog http://opiefamilyfood.blogspot.com.au apologies if I have rehashed an already known gem! If I haven't used something already known about then by all means "go nuts!" it is excellent.

There had a couple of nights off as we had leftovers which suits me down to the ground as I HATE throwing food out!

Anyway, I will post a couple of pictures of todays efforts later tonight.

Thus far I have used Thermie to make a Sunday Morning smoothie (details to follow)
Bread is proving for making some rolls for tonights BBQ, oh that reminds me get the mince out of freezer!  ;)
MrsRC2B has just finished a Orange and Cranberry loaf mixture that is proving as I type.

Pics to follow, I promise! All of this done before 1030 on a Sunday morning actually the morning after we went to the Suncorp to see the Rugby League (wrong rugby code but who cares!). I won't say too much about 'any' of the results for fear of my access rights being revoked!

TTFN

RC
Remember - the little blade at the rear goes really fast and makes a big mess. Stay away from it!

Offline vmc513

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 01:19:38 am »
Great read. Thanks for sharing

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 03:07:07 am »
It sound like thermomix is getting a very good workout.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/