Author Topic: Lemon Butter - Help  (Read 6428 times)

Offline M Saver

• View Profile
Lemon Butter - Help
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:12:01 pm »
Hi

I'm a very new thermomix owner and I've been trying to cook a whole heap of yummy food that I wouldn't normally attempt on the stove top. Today I attempted to make some lemon butter (as I want to give some as gifts on Mother's day), but they haven't really thickened or set very much. I used lemons off my own tree and they were quite small - could this have been the problem, if I added the juice of three lemons instead of two would that make it thick or do I need to cook it for longer?

Thank you for your help.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Butter - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »
Hi M Saver welcome to the forum with your first posting.

I wonder if this hint from Chookie would solve your problem.
Which recipe did you use?  We have a few on the forum - just go to the home page and type in "lemon butter" just as I have done (with the ") and you will find some recipes. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »
I hope it turns out for you. I'm sure your gifts will be well received.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Lemon Butter - Help
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »
Hi m saver!
I find that it thickens a little as it cools.... Maybe see how you go with one batch then adjust for the others :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline M Saver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:08:35 am »
Thank you all for your responses. I left it in the fridge overnight, but it still hasn't thickened :(

I used one of the recipes of this site - Tenina's, but I suspect it might have been the size of my lemons. I'll be making more closer to the end of the week, so I'll try the cornflour technique.

I'll give the choc hazelnut spread a go today.

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Lemon Butter - Help
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:48:48 am »
same thing happened to me with the tenina recipe so I just make the edc one and it works every time

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:01:43 pm »
I have not had a problem with Teninas recipe,  however as we have Meyer lemons i have developed a recipe for these. (posted).  M Saver,  if the mix tastes Lemony enough it maybe the size of the eggs,  they may be too small.  You could either thicken it with  cornflour ,  or custard powder,  or add another egg yolk.  If it tastes not strong enough ,  add more lemon juice,  but this will not thicken it. 

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »
Hi M Saver, I too have never had a problem with tenina's recipe. My lemon tree is a Lisbon and the lemons aren't always that juicy so I use 1/2 cup of lemon juice. I read online someone that 1 lemon yields approx. 1/4 cup of juice. Seems a more accurate way to use lemon juice. Good luck, it is a divine recipe.