Author Topic: Household hints & tips to save money  (Read 147463 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Household hints & tips to save money
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:13 am »
Shampoo & conditioner

I am sick of squeezing the shampoo bottle and getting 3 times as much as I need to wash my hair (DH says I am too heavy handed but I'm sure this happens to others) so I decided to decant it into a pump action container to regulate the quantity a lot easier.  Have done it with the conditioner as well.  I'm sure my hair products will now last up to 3 times as long which means money in my pocket and not the manufacturers.

Perhaps we could start a thread of its own for this subject as I'm sure we all have money saving tips up our sleeves and it would be nice to share them around.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Karen3

• View Profile
Re: Household hints & tips to save money
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:56 am »
Conditioner tip - I use a good quality conditioner and find it lasts a lot longer if I apply it to towel dried hair and comb through.  I don't rinse it out.  A bottle normally lasts at least 7 months.
Cheers,
K3

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:20:04 am »
here's what i wrote on another forum :)

i only ever buy second hand books - from garage sales not 2nd hand book shops or ebay - or borrow from the library (fines are small here lol). i read a LOT - like 4-6 books some weeks so there's no way i could buy new. if am buying new for b'day gifts etc i go to http://www.booko.com.au or http://www.bookdepository.co.uk (apparently their new US one is even cheaper a lot of the time)

i too make most of our snacks. i make most of rora's gluten free stuff. in fact i actually even make our gluten free flours blends and our baking powder and my rice milk lol

i would rather buy decent brands for clothing and shoes so they last, but i never do it at full price, also in sales or at DFO etc (not talking designer here) most of my clothes are undercover wear so i host a party and get the stuff at big w prices but way better quality

our easy meals are mostly healthy - soups, risottos, pasta & fagiole etc

we don't have alcohol except to cook with

ummmmm

we download movies to watch to save on hire costs. we copy any kids dvds we buy so that if they scratch them (when not if) we can just burn another copy rather than buy

we get cheapo haircuts *sob*

ummmmm

we are eating out less and less. i still do coffee a lot but these days it's always at gloria jeans where i can get free babycinos, go to the reject shop next door to buy water & snacks (if i havne't brought my own) and sit at the free playarea to eat the food i've brought from home wink.gif

i'm running down all my creams and cosmetics and am not sure how i'm going to afford to buy anymore once this supply of moogoo runs out (and their creams are so reasonably priced, but i'm not willing to switch back to non-natural stuff). i think i'm going to have to moisturise with oil of some kind sad.gif (i need to moisturise a few times a week to prevent cellulitis etc)

i use bicarb soda to clean my shower, wash my hair, as toothpaste and as a facescrub

much more and i'll sound like a guru which i am absolutely not !!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:16:59 am »
Spring is here and it is time to tidy up all our drawers, cupboards etc.  I started on my dressing table yesterday and decided to roll all the scarves, pj's etc and was amazed at how uncrowded the drawers now look.  I can see everything at a glance.  Today was babysitting day at DD's place so I decided to go through Miss 4.5's drawers too, putting aside everything that was size 3 and rolling everything else.  Miss 4.5 was 'amazed' with her new drawer set up - let's hope she keeps it like that.  I just showed my neighbour what I've done here and she's now keen to do the same at her place.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:13 am »
Well done JD. Spring lasts for 3 months so I reckon don't do it all in one day (says I looking at the unmade bed, and floor that needs sweeping, etc.... :-[)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:54:14 am »
good thinking! i always roll to pack to go away but have never thought to do it at home lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »
The way the economy is going (down) we will be needing  this thread to grow

It’s been about a year or so that i have been Unplugging power points

Dish washing, washing machine and iron before 7 am

I try and bake bread and make my sauces, before that time 2

Heating is no problem when you live above a restaurant but summer its very hard, air con on 24/7
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:09:57 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:46 pm »
Will think in more depth about this topic - but my immediate thought was the cuisipro foam pump, we were going through liquid soap like water.  I now have 4 in this house and love them - apart form a bottle of liquid soap lasting for months, thereis no corrosion around the screw top as the contents never touch the actual 'metal'.   So worth the $  :)  :)

Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:28 pm »
This lady is a fount of useful information and ideas.  She is also about to start a regular column in the WW next month and there is an introductory article in October's WW.  I just came across her link in Quirky Jo's blog last week and plan to go back there and have a good look around once I get a chance.

However, my biggest tip is to buy a thermomix!  I am saving loads of money now by eating food made in TMX - my bank account / mortgage is very happy with me!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
Have you ever tried to make your own Robyn
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:50:28 pm »
Will think in more depth about this topic - but my immediate thought was the cuisipro foam pump, we were going through liquid soap like water.  I now have 4 in this house and love them - apart form a bottle of liquid soap lasting for months, thereis no corrosion around the screw top as the contents never touch the actual 'metal'.   So worth the $  :)  :)

I have the same soap pumps and they are really good.  I have had mine for about a year and there is no corroision at all depite one being in the kitchen and kids bathroom (high traffic areas).  It is also amazing how little soap you use.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 12:15:20 am »
I didn't know you could buy these dispensers without soap - we've got some (cheapish plastic ones) but had to buy them with soap - could you tell me where you buy these ones from please, Robyn?  Ta

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:50:12 am »
Marina, I've done a bit of research and this is where I found the cheapest price $15.95.  Anyone found better than that?

Everton.com link seized up my computer so be careful of that one.

Have ordered 2 for myself - $43.90 includes postage and insurance.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:04:52 am by judydawn »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 01:18:41 am »
Thanks, Judy, you're a gem.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:51:30 am »
Judy I bought the last 3 at that price after purchasing the initial from Howards Storage at $19.95 - I have found it best to use the clear liquid soaps in preference to the milky type just because it looks better on the bench - at present I am using palmolive liquid soap.  Better run as next class begins very sooooon!   :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.