Author Topic: macarons  (Read 38314 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: macarons
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 10:56:43 am »
But look how nice and high they are

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 08:56:18 am »
Emmanuelle Mo???? shop. His food is double wow.
CP I suggest you continue these studies.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2012, 11:49:37 am »
I have rashly promised to make 50 macarons for dd to take to school on her birthday next wed. So here come the questions since I am nervous about making them for the first time...

Can I make the macaroons over the weekend and fill them on we'd morning?

Wonder, any hints after your experience of making them!

Gretchen, what did you mean by saying that you got the egg whites ready the previous day?

Cookie, which recipe did you use for the choc ganache?

Thanks for your help macaron expert cooks.  . :) :)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »
I have rashly promised to make 50 macarons for dd to take to school on her birthday next wed. So here come the questions since I am nervous about making them for the first time...

Can I make the macaroons over the weekend and fill them on we'd morning?

Wonder, any hints after your experience of making them!

Gretchen, what did you mean by saying that you got the egg whites ready the previous day?

Cookie, which recipe did you use for the choc ganache?

Thanks for your help macaron expert cooks.  . :) :)

For my part I used old eggs and separated the egg whites the day before as suggested then used them at room temp. That is a big commitment to make 50 macaroons. That is 100 of the critters.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2012, 01:17:28 pm »
Thanks Gert! Hope it all works out...

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Re: macarons
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:13 am »
I attempted these in my Thermo Chef last week, but it didn't go well. Egg whites can be temperamental at times - I think mine had PMS!
I loved Mara's tip about printing out a template - I usually trace the circles onto glad bake every time I make them. So time consuming.

I had almond meal, so I didn't need to grind the almonds first. I had defrosted some egg whites and let them come to room temperature. I find that I can get more air into the egg whites if I mix on speed 2, so that's what I did. I felt that the egg whites didn't whip up as high as normal, but I continued with the recipe and managed to pipe out 36 circles, not 50. My usual recipe cooks them at 180C, but I reduced the temp to 120C and turned off the fan in the oven. I just couldn't get them to cook. They were in the oven for twice as long as the recipe suggested. I had to turn the fan forced function on and increase the temp a little. However, they did rise like Macarons should.

I decided to try a chocolate version too. This time, my egg whites were sulking and after 4 minutes in the cleaned TC bowl, they were still clear and hadn't even started to foam. I got out my old mixer and beat them until they were glossy. I continued with the recipe, but when I piped them, they were really runny and some of them ran together on the tray. Again, I couldn't get them to cook in the suggested time even with the fan on. Unfortunately, they didn't rise with little feet. I've dubbed these "flattaroons".

I even managed to muck up the chocolate ganache! It started to catch on the bottom of the bowl and I thought I'd burnt it. Luckily it still tasted fine.

I don't like wasting food, so I decided to fill the plain ones with lemon curd and the chocolate ones with ganache, and put them in the fridge overnight. I served them up for afternoon tea the next day, and they were really popular. The chocolate ones were very crispy, but still tasted nice, albeit, not like my usual macarons, but sweet and chocolatey anyway. The lemon ones were more like Macarons should be, just really sweet.

I've only made Macarons  once before in my TC, and they didn't work either. I put it down to the rainy weather that day. I'll try once more in my TC, otherwise I'll accept defeat, and go back to my old mixer.

"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 08:49:26 am »
At least you gave it a try ES and they were edible - I'm not game to try seeing they can be hit or miss.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:05 am »
OMG Sue forget about the macarons lovely as they are. Tell me about the dish?

Is it one of these?

Royal Winton  Grimwaldes. Hagel 

I'f it is I would be interested to know.  I was given this set many years ago and would love it to go to a good home.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 09:23:46 am »
Gretch, they've already been forgotten (not to mention eaten)

My plate belonged to my grandmother and I don't have any other pieces to go with it. It looks very similar to yours. Mine is also Royal Winton Grimwades, but it is "julia". It also has the number 109 in gold paint on the bottom.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2012, 09:36:24 am »
Mine has the number 2208 in gold  on one . The others just have a few flecks of gold paint. I think  the difference is in the main colour. Your Julia seems more blue and mine has black. Probably the same era. Since I mentioned it to you I will give you the first  right to refusal then offer them to anyone else who may have the Hagel.

Would you like them? I have no need of them and even though the have sentimental value and no doubt some monetary value they will not be appreciated by anyone I know.

Gert

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2012, 09:47:44 am »
HELP!  I am just making the macaroons and all was well until I tried to pipe them into circles using templates. They look as if a 2 yr old has done this. I have never used a piping bag before  and went and bought one just for this job. What nozzle should I use....I need to make another batch whilst this one is resting ...help!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
HELP!  I am just making the macaroons and all was well until I tried to pipe them into circles using templates. They look as if a 2 yr old has done this. I have never used a piping bag before  and went and bought one just for this job. What nozzle should I use....I need to make another batch whilst this one is resting ...help!

10 mm nozzle. GO girl

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 10:12:03 am »
And pipe with the nozzle sort of on it's side not directly perpendicular.

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:32 am »
I don't have a number 10 nozzle...I have icing bag...are they different to piping bag? I have odd numbers like 2, 36 etc

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:48 am »
I don't have a number 10 nozzle...I have icing bag...are they different to piping bag? I have odd numbers like 2, 36 etc

No not a number just measure a nozzle. If the diameter is about 10 mm at the pointy end then use that one.  Just do not use a really big one. You will be fine. Otherwise just spoon the buggers onto the templet.