Author Topic: Apple-date mustard seasoned with ginger and cinnamon  (Read 4608 times)

vivacity

Apple-date mustard seasoned with ginger and cinnamon
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:02:57 pm »
Source: www.virusculinarius.de
Contributed by: Krabbe

Ingredients:

500ml good quality apple juice
125g dried dates
50g fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp garlic powder
150 g yellow mustard seeds
75 g brown mustard seeds
12 allspice berries
250 g white wine vinegar
80 g sugar
3 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

* Add apple juice, dates, ginger, cinnamon and garlic to TM bowl. Cook 45 mins/100C/speed 1 so mixture thickens. Pour mixture through sieve and catch cooking liquid in a bowl. Press as much liquid as you can from the dates and ginger. You only need the cooking liquid for this recipe, the remaining date-ginger mush is thrown away.
* Allow liquid to cool. Clean the TM bowl and dry well.
* Add the mustard seeds and the allspice berries to the TM bowl. Place a piece of kitchen paper between the lid and the MC and then grind to a powder for 15 secs on speed 10.
* Now add the cooled cooking liquid, the white wine vinegar, sugar and salt and mix for 30 secs on speed 2.
* Pour mixture into a bowl and leave UNCOVERED until the next day. Stir occasionally with a plastic or wooden spoon and the next day add 1 tbsp olive oil. That will make the mustard smooth and shiny. 
* Pour mustard into a suitable container and store for at least two weeks to give the flavours time to mingle.

The longer you leave this, the better it gets. At first the taste is quite hot and sour but after longer storage, the taste becomes sweeter.

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Apple-date mustard seasoned with ginger and cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »
When you say good quality apple juice, would it be ok to juice 4 or 5 apples? As not too sure whether apple juice in cartons in Spain could ever be good quality! :-)) ???
Amanda

Spain

vivacity

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:46:54 am »
I suppose you could juice the apples yourself. As yet I haven't tried this recipe (too busy marking exam papers at the moment) but I think I will juice my own apples when I do.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 01:50:03 am »
Think that I would try an apple or two and 200ml or so of water if you don't have good quality apple juice.  You are not going to use the mush, only the liquid and so would want to make sure you have enough liquid at the end of cooking to mix with the mustard seeds.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.