Author Topic: Wheat in Australia  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wheat in Australia
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 01:52:49 pm »
Here is South Australia our crops are looking fantastic - and as I sit here and write this I can here it raining.
Prices are looking good too for farmers - maybe pushed up by the problems in Russia?
I am looking forward to geting grain straight out of the paddocks this year!
Kimberley it's good to hear that your crop is doing well and that prices might mirror the true value of farmers labour.
Kimberly,  sounds good and half your luck to have home grown wheat.   All we grow where I live in central Victoria,  are very healthy Kangaroos,  fat Wombats and a few vegies ,  at this time of year.  We had 4 inches of rain in July.
Is 4 inches of rain extreme for July where you live Chookie?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »
CC, 4 inches is a lot for us at the moment as we have had a drought for the last 10 years.  This year has been good and all our tanks are full.  This is how I manage to water my large vegie garden in the Summer.   Where we live,  on the side of a small Mountain Range, we are well drained.  There are water restrictions in the towns and cities around us , but as we supply our own water it is up to us how we use it.   If we run out (we never have),  then we would have to buy water.  Many say our area is like England, and I can see what they mean,  but it is a bit untidy with the Gum trees.   I have been to England and assume that you live in Cornwell.   We are more like Wiltshire,  in climate and vegetation.   It is hard to visualize another country,  and Australia is so large.   Jo lives in the Rain Forest up north,  and this is different again. We have just visited South Australia,  where Judy Dawn lives,  and the houses, vegetation, and climate are also different.  Hope this gives a little feel for where I live.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:19:03 pm »
It's wonderful hearing about the country that people live in.We have periods of dry spells here in the U.K. but never for longer than a few weeks and then we just get a "hose pipe" ban, i.e.unable to water the garden.I just take it for granted that when I turn on the tap, water flows.Seems very arrogant just saying it like that.I was born in Cornwall but now live 30 miles north west of London.It's very wooded here in Buckinghamshire,famous for the furniture making industry because of the Beech Trees.My DH and I have done a little globe trotting during our married life because of his job.I have experienced the tropics when we lived in Bermuda and the dessert when we lived in the Middle East.Maybe one day I will be able to visit you all in Oz and see the diversity of such a huge country. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »
CC,  you would be more than welcome.  Today had lunch with a friend who has family friends in Buckinghamshire.  She was talking about the Beech trees .  It really is a very small world. ;D ;D ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 05:58:46 am »
And I'm in the wheat growing region in the Great Southern Western Australia. The paddocks are lovely and green in winter, dry and barren in summer. We're having a very dry spring and our crops are starting to wilt. Today is the first day that I've seen clouds in two weeks. It's windy too, so hopefully blowing up a storm with some rain.

We're on scheme water in town, but the dams on our farms are very low and won't see us through summer without some more substantial rains. We run sheep as well, so desperately need our dams to catch some more water.

Send 'er down Huey!!

I'm fascinated by England and really want to visit one day. I'm besotted with all the UK TV shows - Rosemary & Thyme, Heartbeat, Midsomer Murders, Doc Martin etc.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 06:14:07 am »
MJ,  wish we could send some of this rain over,  but you would have to have the cold weather with it.  4 again today.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:32 am »
MJ they are the TV shows I love. In fact it is so overcast this afternoon that I was wondering if I should go and sneak to watch a Midsummer Murders DVD. Sorry family dinner is from the freezer, I've goofed off and watched DVDs this afternoon.

Hope you get some rain this time MJ.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:50 pm »

That's me running around in the rain!! We've had 14mm and it looks like we might be in for a bit more!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 12:47:34 pm »
Hooray!  I have been trying to blow some rain clouds your way MJ.  It must be working because our 24 hours of torrential rain has ceased here and we are back to sunshine.  Hopefully our backyard mud slide will revert back to lawn again soon.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »
MJ,  that is wonderful. ;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 08:51:22 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Very pleased for you MJ. I know what DH's can be like when the rain is distant. (In my case it was a dear Dad)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:12 pm »
My family are also rejoicing at the rain they are getting (North of Perth). Hope it turns out to be a good season statewide
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.