Author Topic: New TMX owner from Melbourne  (Read 4723 times)

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
New TMX owner from Melbourne
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:54 am »
Hi all. Have enjoyed checking out the forum and looking at the great recipes. I had my demonstration night and my TMX delivered last Thursday night and since then have used my new machine so much. Bread, pasta dough, veggie stock paste, sorbet, sorbet, sorbet, dips, pastes, lemon butter, cheese spread, soups, rice ...... and I have been delighted!  This Friday we are off to Vic market to stock up on base ingredients and I'm going to have to get a second freezer because I am so inspired by being able to make practically anything from scratch. How do you all store your flours, grains, nuts etc and where is best for this sort of shopping?
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New TMX owner from Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:38 am »
Hi Jude59, welcome to the forum.  You are going great guns with your cooking and once you get to the market there will be nothing holding you back. I don't have room in my 2 freezers to store flour, grains, nuts etc but others do, particularly those up north who buy in bulk.  I had to chuckle at the amount of sorbet you have made when Melbourne is as cold, if not colder, than Adelaide at the moment.  Enjoy your time on here, it is a nice friendly forum as you have probably noticed.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:52 am »
Hi Jude59, I'm also in Melbourne (Northern suburbs) and purchase all my flour from Marg & Maree's in Heidelberg but try and get nuts, dried fruit etc from either Preston or Vic market on the rare occassion I can get there. You just need to make sure you are buying from a shop that has a high turnover so the products are fresh and reliable. I've had a few problems with weavils in products I've purchased at what I thought were reliable sources so also now inspect these "fresh" products well before purchasing.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:55 am »
Thanks for that warning. I would have never thought to check!  I'm hoping to just get enough for a month at a time to start anyway.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:51 am »
Welcome to the forum.  You are off to a flying start!!!!!  I agree with the comment on weevels.  I purchased some besan flour awhile back from an Asian grocery and althought it looked OK must have had some eggs in it.  It took ages to get rid of them!!!!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:53:43 am »
Hi Jude and welcome.

I shop at Vic market every Saturday morning and haven't had any problems.  I usually get my flour from one of the organic stalls that sell it in bulk (can't remember the name) and nuts, etc. from the shop in the deli section, it MAY be called The Nut House, but I'm not sure.  I just know where I'm going and never look at names.

The turnover at the market is pretty high so I think you should be fairly safe as regards freshness.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 05:53:48 am »
Oh so glad to hear you find Vic market good. Have just been out and bought a couple of those wheely shoppers to take around the stalls for dh and me  ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:49 am »
If you are going to buy an insulated bag for dairy, etc., don't forget to make sure it fits into your trolley!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:40 am »
Dh thinks we will be taking a separate insulated bag or bin for the car to keep stuff cool he's right into this LOL!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:29:23 am »
Hi Jude59, Wow it sounds like you have been pretty busy in the last week. You have come to the right place joining the forum. The Thermomix and the forum definitely go hand in hand I think.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:31:05 am »
Welcome Jude59. I envy you being able to go down to the Vic markets. I love them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:10 am »
Welcome to the forum Jude59. Great news that you are having fun cooking in your TM.  :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 01:25:15 am »
Welcome to the forum Jude59!
I simply store flour, grains, nuts in plastic tubs.  My biggest tub hold 5kg of bread flour- still manageable for the youngest member of our family.
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)