Author Topic: Chicken Korma  (Read 34389 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Chicken Korma
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 02:53:01 am »
made this last night also as a result of the positive reviews, and yes, have to agree with everyone  :D i am glad that i blended the whole spices before adding the chicken because it gives it a beautiful flavour.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 01:46:03 am »
I made this on Monday night, although a little bit hesitantly as I have 2 fussy eating kids. But I am so happy to say that they really liked it. DH and I enjoyed it too. I steamed some carrots and peas so the kids would fill up on vegies and rice if they didn't like it, but this wasn't a problem at all. I didn't try giving it to our bub as he's even fussier (if that's possible) but may try him next time given the other two's reaction. Smiles all round at our house that night  ;D ;D ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:38:35 am »
Virgo9,  glad that you have a recipe that all the family can eat.   makes life much easier.   thanks for the feedback.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:26 am »
Yummy!  3 of us enjoyed the flavours (didn't add chilli or garam marsala either)......and as expected.....the 8 year old ate the rice.....no surprises there  :P

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 10:02:27 pm »
Maddy,  great photo,  glad you liked the Korma.

Offline mixotrophy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 02:25:19 am »
Chookie, your Chicken Korma recipe has gone straight onto my to-make-really-soon list! Looks fabulous. Here's a conversion I did of Poh's Chicken and Pistachio Korma. Mum had made it and said it was really good so I converted it for TM, based roughly on the method for Butter Chicken in the EDC. Have a go and see what you think!

Name of Recipe: Chicken and Pistachio Korma
Number of People: 4
Ingredients:
  • 4 onions, quartered
  • ¾ cup pistachio kernels
  • 4 green chillies
  • 30ml oil
  • 1 ½ tbs ginger and garlic paste
  • 1 tbs coriander powder
  • 1 tsp white pepper powder
  • 1 kg diced chicken thigh fillets (skin and fat removed)
  • Salt to taste
  • ¾ cup yogurt
  • ½ cup cream
  • ½ tsp garam masala powder (made from roasted cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom and black peppercorns)

Preparation:
1. Boil onions in one cup of water. Drain and cool.
2. Make garam masala by adding equal parts cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom and black peppercorn. Dry roast at 100°C for 2 minutes on speed 1, then mill for 2 minutes on speed 8. Take out and set aside.
3. Puree pistachios and green chilli for 5 seconds on speed 7, keeping a few nuts aside for garnish.  Take out and set aside.
4. Puree onion for 5 seconds on speed 7.
5. Add oil and sauté at 100°C for 4 minutes on speed 1, do not brown. Add ginger and garlic paste. Fry for 1 minute. Stir in coriander and pepper powders. Add pistachio and green chilli paste and cook for about 1 minute.
6. Add the chicken, salt and water (quarter of a cup) and cook at 100°C for 20-25 minutes on reverse + speed soft, or until done. Add the yogurt and cook for a further 2 minutes.
7. Add cream and garam masala. Stir. Garnish with pistachio nuts and serve hot.

Tips/Hints:
I made this a while ago, but from memory, 4 green chillies made it smokin' hot! You might need to adjust the chilli quantity to taste  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 02:59:37 am »
Littlerikagirl,  this looks great,  but will have to make it when I come off the diet.   Although,  I could have Half a serve.? ;D ;D ;D

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 04:42:56 am »
I know this is an OOOOLD thread, so sorry for dragging it up again.
I just made the sauce component of this recipe, because I'm having people over for dinner tonight and thought it would be quicker just to have it ready to go.  So I whizzed it up, tried it, and  :-[ I don't like it!!!  Certainly doesn't taste like any korma I've had before. I think I should have removed the cinnamon stick before blitzing, because it tastes kinda cinnamony...  Any idea how I can rescue it? If it was just me and DH I'd probably just eat it, but because we're having people round and I know they're itching to see what the TMX can do, I don't want them to be disappointed. Should I just ditch it and cook something else?! HELP please!!

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 05:04:15 am »
I would blitz more raw cashews mixed with a bit of water and add to the mix...keep doing it until the cinnamon taste is not dominant

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2012, 05:21:32 am »
ok thanks courton I'll give it a go!!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2012, 06:25:23 am »
Amanda,  which recipe did you use ?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2012, 07:11:45 am »
I don't add the whole spices any more in this recipe. I simply use ground spices and add them at the same time as the other spices.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 08:55:42 am »
Chookie it was the one from the indian cookbook, I think that it's the same as the one you posted?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 12:44:40 pm »
How did it go in the end Amanda?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2012, 02:17:58 pm »
amanda,  Yes it is.  I was wondering as I re read the post on this topic and others did not seem to have the same issue.  The only thing I can think of is that when the chicken is added it might change the flavour.  I also don't like too strong a taste of Cinnamon.  Let us know how you go.