Author Topic: Bron's Easy Lemon Sponge Cake  (Read 33890 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Bron's Easy Lemon Sponge Cake
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:44:09 pm »
Very easy and light sponge cake. I always make it a round ring type tin (so it doesnt sink in the middle and it cooks to perfection) Never had a flop yet, and I make this weekly as my kids and friends love this one  ;D ;D

Ingredients

3 eggs
200g sugar
100g soft or melted butter
1 yoghurt - 125g (lemon, strawberries or plain yoghurt work best)
170g plain flour
pinch salt
1 sachet baking powder - 2.5 tsps
1 lemon

To make:
Preheat oven 170º.
Firstly peel rind of lemon, no pith, and place the lemon rind in bowl with sugar. Blitz speed 5-10 about 20 seconds. Add eggs and program 2 mins 37º speed 3. Then add butter and yoghurt, mix 15 seconds speed 3. Add flour, pinch salt and baking powder and mix 12 seconds speed 2 and 1/2.
Pour into greased and floured ring type cake tin. I sometimes use a silicone one, which is ever so easy to turn out on the plate, however the colour isnt as nice as when baked in tin one.
Bake 30 mins on 170º

Then when turned out on plate, squeeze lemon juice into a dish, and add 50-100g of sugar. And baste over cake. This is the bit the kids love best as the sugar is crunchy and yummy.

members' comments

CP  - this cake is just the antz pantz, ohh so delicious --  think I'll skip lunch and have another slice of this instead. I had half a lemon sitting on the bench, so added the zest of that as well at the beginning. This will definitely become a regular. The consensus on the flavour was like having "a crepe sprinkled with lemon and sugar". We all loved it, and it was very moist too.

Caroline J - I didn't have a ring tin (and am impatient) so I have a cupcake version of these in the oven now. Oh wow, divine!!  I used a lemon meringue diet yoghurt, and they are delicious as cupcakes.

maddy - Oh Bron, we really loved this! I think the lemon/sugar syrup really elevates this cake. I did use 100g sugar for the lemon syrup as the lemon I had was exceptionally tart! I used greek yoghurt and baked for 35 mins in my oven. Will definitely make again, thanks.

Berry - It is just fantastic. I've just made it for the second time .... first time was yesterday ..... should I admit there's only 2 of us?  Probably not!

CC - This is a great recipe. I've passed it into friends who don't own TM's because they were impressed by tasting my cake.

Judydg - Just enjoying a slice of this with a cup of tea - divine!

KerrynN -  I've used sour cream and a little milk (about 30g). It's in the oven now. Yummy! Very moist, with a lovely subtle flavour. I hope the kids don't like it.

johnro - this was delicious - as mentioned so easy and suitable to devour warm or cold.  As the pic testifies, the only yoghurt in the house so picked 2 passionfruit and stirred through yoghurt before adding to mixture in thermie. So moorish, thanks Bron for the recipe and all those who brought this thread to my attention! Also made a batch of cupcakes using this recipe.

JD -  Agree with everyone, it's a winner.

salval - DELICIOUS!!!!! Thanks for this easy, peasy, lemon-squeezy cake recipe.

Chelsea - I've made this twice now.  The first time I used melted butter and it was lovely but a little heavy.  Yesterday I used soft butter (left at room temperature for an hour) and it was very light and fluffy. Very yummy!

ES - I made this with gluten free flour and an extra teaspoon of baking powder, and it worked beautifully.

Hally - Thanks to thermie, I have this cake in the oven, ready in 20 mins, so all done and cooling before school. Also it uses yoghurt. Yay

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 01:11:26 am by judydawn »
Amanda

Spain

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Bron's Easy Lemon Sponge Cake
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:59:34 pm »
Thanks Amanda - I'll give this one a go.  As I recall, a sachet is 2.5 tsp , same as a sachet of yeast - is that right? 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:09 pm »
how much is one yohurt bron?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:01:09 am »
Yes, sachet is about 2 and half teaspoons, guess you could use self raising flour, but I cant buy that here easily!
Yoghurt is an individual one, I think they are 125g aprox.
 :-* :-* :-*
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 12:03:00 pm »
thanks!
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:55:50 pm »
Plain yoghurt I presume or could you use vanilla yoghurt.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:00 pm »
To be honest, the best yoghurt to use is either lemon flavour or maybe strawberry or plain, something that goes with lemon. Vanilla doesnt, I have tried that before and it somehow just didnt go together, mind you the kids still gobbled the lot but I would stick to plain or lemon, but as I have mentioned before.....
don't NOT MAKE A RECIPE because you don't have the exact ingredients, IMPROVISE ;D ;D ;D ;D   :-* :-* :-*
Amanda

Spain

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:13:51 am »
LOL

i have a tub of plain yoghurt i need to use up (a large one like 500g). i think i brought it home from the coast meaning to give it to one of the others and forgot. no one here will eat it so i will have to cook with it instead ;)
My Cooking Blog

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:37 am »
this cake is just the antz pantz  ;D ohh so delicious -- i think i will skip lunch and have another slice of this instead. i had half a lemon sitting on the bench, so i added the zest of that as well at the beginning. this will definitely become a regular.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:04:36 am »
You have been busy CP63.

Your sponge looks lovely, fantastic texture from the photo. Well done.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »
Looks lovely and moist CP.  ;D

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:18 pm »
Do you think it's critical to use a ring type cake tin?   I'd love to make this but don't have a tin of that sort and don't really want to buy one just for this.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:26:31 pm »
Do you think it's critical to use a ring type cake tin?   I'd love to make this but don't have a tin of that sort and don't really want to buy one just for this.

Have a look in the charity shops Katya, it's amazing what you can pick up in there. ;) A pity we don't live closer you could have borrowed my Bundt tin.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »
Thanks CC - It's just that I'm going through a massive de-cluttering phase and so don't really want to bring anything into the house that I may only use a few times.   

I guess I could always find one in a charity shop and then re-donate it  ;) ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:34:33 am »
Katya, wondering if you could put a couple of ramekins inside each other (or something similar), place them in the centre of your cake tin and pour the mixture around it to get the hole in the middle. Just a thought  :P :P You may need someone to hold it still whilst you pour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.