Author Topic: Soy Sauce Chicken in the Varoma  (Read 30858 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Soy Sauce Chicken in the Varoma
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:01 pm »
Welcome sew chin. Glad you could sign up - can't wait for your tasty recipes to be posted. ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2012, 06:18:54 am »
Had this for lunch today, the chicken wasn't quite cooked within the stated timeframe so I zapped it in the microwave for an extra 5 minutes whilst I made the sauce reduction and it was lovely, so tasty & moist.   Did stir fry vegies from the EDC to go with it before I did the reduction and sat them in the thermosaver.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:39 am »
This looks great Judy. Must look  at Thermomixer's recipe as i have been reading up on poaching chicken.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 04:11:09 am »
We love it Chookie.  I later reduced all the leftover steaming liquid rather than waste it (in a pan on the stove because it is quicker than doing it in the TMX, :o) and now have a couple of packs of lovely soy sauce for stir fry dishes.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:11 am »
That was a sensible thing to do.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »
This is a question for JD and anyone else who used chicken pieces - do you still use the same timings as for a whole chicken?  It seems to me that surely they'd cook faster?

I'm planning to make this with some chicken drumsticks I have.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 07:36:21 pm »
We had this tonight using chicken drumsticks and it was lovely.  I used the same timings to be on the safe side.  The whole family gave it 4.5 out of 5 (I'm not sure if we've ever had a savoury 5 out of 5 - 4.5 is high praise indeed  ;D )

This has gone into my MacGourmet program to be made again and again.  If I had a whole chicken I'd be interested in trying out something I've heard about, which is putting the chicken cavity over the blades and cooking in the broth, so that it's kind of like a poached rotissary. Apparently the Asian Cook Book has a soy chicken which is cooked like this.  Does anyone have the book to look at the temperature and timings for me so that I can try it with this recipe, please? 
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 11:45:57 pm »
Yes, Caroline, and I've had the Asian cookbook Soysauce Chicken recipe a few times now and love how easy it is to cook.  The recipe is very similar to Thermomixer's one on this thread.  Ingredients are very slightly different.  Timings - sauces, flavouring and water - cook for 10 mins at 100 deg on speed soft.  Chicken in bowl of stock - 30 mins at 90 deg on speed soft.  Then chicken sits in stock still in bowl for 30 mins.  You keep stock to use again next time and it gets better.  I'd be interested in your comments and next time round I'll try Thermomixer's.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 12:03:44 am »
Yes we love this easy chicken dish.

How long do you reckon the stock keeps for. Mine is very old.
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 12:39:50 am »
CarolineW, I've only made this recipe twice, once with Maryland portions and once with a whole small chicken.  I use boiling water not cold and I cooked the Marylands for 30 minutes then seeped 1.5 hours.  With the whole chicken I stuck to the recipe which was 20 minutes and seeped for 2 hours but then had to zap it for 5 minutes in the microwave as it wasn't quite cooked.  I would therefore cook it for at least 30 minutes, maybe even 45 minutes to be sure next time.
The recipe in the Taste of Asia book is a lot quicker to do.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 11:35:14 am »
Thanks very much Cecilia and JD, I've added your comments in the notes section of MacGourmet with this recipe.  What I did forget to ask is what size whole chicken the timings are for, please Cecilia?  Is it 1.3 kg?  I can't imagine a large chicken fitting in the TM bowl  :D

I'm about to email a link to this recipe to my Mum, having just enthused to her about it this morning.  Also the Spicy Asian Chicken in Garlic Sauce from the Canadian cookbook, posted by MelissaS, which was fantastic too.  DH and I gave that a 4 and 3 quarters out of 5, but it's too strong flavours for DD1.  So it won't be a family regular like this one will.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:50 am »
The largest I have managed is  a 1.6kg with a lot of pushing, LOL

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 11:44:28 am »
The recipe book says 1.2kg but I've used 1.6kg and even 1.7kg squeezed in once.  Some of the chook pops up through the MC hole but you put a soupbowl over it so it all cooks.  Remember the parson's nose and extra bits of fat are trimmed off first.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:28 am »
Thanks Hally and Cecilia.  Ooh, I wouldn't have thought of that Cecilia, thanks for the tip!  I'd have had very greasy chicken and sauce, wouldn't I?!  :o

Offline Thermesa

• View Profile
Re: Re: Soy Sauce Chicken in the Varoma
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 01:57:40 pm »
Cooked this tonight with a few teething errors. I added the water early in the marinade (missed that correction) and the extra liquid seemed to escape from the oven bag back into the bowl (lucky it didn't overflow). Less water I the oven bag would have helped not cover so many holes of the varoma. The sauce worked well with cornflour but again cold be more intense and then I forgot to reserve the stock for another day. The extra liquid would have influenced my cooking time as well. It was cooked but a bit of work getting the meat off the bone.

Will cook again now I've worked out my issues but really looking forward to leftovers.

I cooked the rice in the stock so it wasn't all wasted