Author Topic: Cacciatore Chicken Risotto - marmee  (Read 43647 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Cacciatore Chicken Risotto - marmee
« on: September 23, 2009, 02:35:50 am »
I am no good with photos...here is my recipe from last night.  I reckon this recipe would be very forgiving - I just threw things in and weighed as I went.  Turned out pretty good.

Cacciatore Chicken Risotto

1 onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic
parsley/herbs of choice
100 - 200g bacon
500g chicken, diced (or "dice" it yourself in the TMX prior to step 1)
300g rice
675g liquid chicken stock (or water with your own homemade stock)
tin crushed tomatoes
splash of wine (red or white) - optional
1 Tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
parmesan cheese to serve

* Blitz garlic, onion and herbs, 5 sec, speed 5.
* Add bacon. 3 sec, speed 4 (or until chopped to liking)
* Cook 3 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1.
* Add butterfly.
* Add in all except chicken and cheese.  Cook 10 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1
* Add chicken.  Cook 10-13 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1 (check after 10mins - want to see the liquid absorbed)
* Rest in thermoserver 5 mins and serve sprinkled with cheese, salt and pepper if desired.

members' comments

Lynnham - I just cooked this and it was lovely...I have been looking for a different risotto and this one is very nice...I did add some veggies to it though and just let it sit to cook them through. Thank you for the lovely recipe.

em - this is a great recipe have had it quite a few times and we love it, never any leftovers!!

Chelsea - We have a new favourite risotto as of tonight - this is delicious!!!  Thanks Marmee.  I used all of the ingredients listed (including the optional wine, tomato paste, cracked pepper etc), but changed the method a little to suit our preferences.  Basically I just added my herbs at the end, cooked off my rice and wine together and cooked my chicken (cubed thighs) for 6-7 minutes.  Here is the method I used:

Grate parmesan and parsley together on speed 8 for 10 seconds and set aside.
Add garlic and onion and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds.
Add bacon and chop on speed 3 for 2-3 seconds. Scrape down bowl.
Add oil and saute for 2 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Place butterfly in position. Add wine and rice and saute for 3 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Add in tomatoes, tomato paste and stock and cook for 10 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Add chicken and cook for a further 6-7 minutes.
Tip into thermoserver and stir through cheese, herbs and cracked pepper.

VHJ -  it was a resounding success. Thank you for the recipe.

JD -  only made 1/2 the recipe for the 2 of us but still had leftovers for lunch tomorrow. We are not great lovers of risotto and I think this is only the second one I have cooked but it was very nice.  I used chicken tenderloins cut into 3 pieces so had to adjust the cooking time even more.  I ended up cooking the rice for 16 minutes, adding the chicken and only cooking it for a further 3 minutes. Thanks Marmee for the recipe and Chelsea's comments which was what made me try it.

Dublin Girl in Oz -  loved by everyone - thanks for the recipe.

bigTcup - so easy and tasty.  Will add some mushrooms and maybe zucchini next time for a bigger vegie hit.

Zan - really nice. Quite a lot of flavour for risotto though think I might try it with a bit of chilli as well.

CC - I didn't tell DH that it was risotto because apparently he doesn't like risotto but he ate everything on his plate and said it was delicious. I followed Chelsea's method and it worked brilliantly. Loads of leftovers so I will halve the recipe next time. Thanks for the recipe.

NICKY 74 - it was delicious! even my dad liked it and he is not a fan of risotto.

Thermo-baby - we all loved it!  Even my 2 children who apparently "hate rice"!!  Thank you.

Learner - Love this recipe!!! So do the kids. I added mushrooms.

ES - I made this tonight in my Thermo Chef. I love risotto but my DH doesn't. It's the first risotto that I have made for him since I bought my machine. He went back for seconds! My DD loved it and even my DS ate it. I don't have a Thermo server but I do have the Ikea insulated server, so I used that. DH and I always add chilli.

Maddie - this was the first meal I have made in my thermie and it was so easy and tasty - have earmarked that one to have again. Thank you for posting such a delicious recipe.

auds - did exactly as recipe said but added more bacon. Sorry, it was bland and I couldn't get my kids to eat it - don't know what I did wrong.

em - I use a chicken stock instead of the tm stock paste (I find that makes it a bit bland for me) and also adding the tom paste and wine gives it a bit more flavour too. Still one of our faves after 3 years!

jakodai - I cooked in the pressure cooker - it was amazing! I added the tomato paste and I think this made the flavour richer. I will definitely be having this again.

mel1979 - it was a hit. My husband said it's a "crowd pleaser"! The only thing I modified was adding some olives during the last few minutes.

helsbels - hubbie made this and I think you can judge the success of it by the fact that he kept going "oh wow!", "oh my god", "hmmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm"  all the way through his dinner! Particularly impressed by the way the bacon flavour permeates the whole risotto and combines with the tomato to give real depth of flavour.   10/10 from us.  Followed the recipe exactly apart from adding 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper and doing the method so that the chicken gets added later. Thanks so much for posting this!

Kiki J - it turned out great - thanks so much for the recipe! Hubby was happy and all 3 kids ate it without complaint (which is pretty rare!)

Bootobethin - This is a fantastic recipe. We have it at least once a week. It is always a hit! I always add a little chilli for spice.
Thanks for the recipe.

Thermesa - Another great chicken option.

JD - Today I added half a large diced zucchini and 4 medium sized diced mushrooms after the rice had been cooking for 10 minutes and the chicken I used was 1/2 roll of Thermomixer's Chicken Croquettes, diced and added with 1.5 minutes to go just to heat it through.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

mab19 - added half a carrot and half a zucchini and cooked with the bacon and onion.  Stirred through some left over cold roast chicken after it was in the thermo server.  DH thought it was very tasty.

Jamberie - it's a winner. It really is as nice as it smells,  definitely a favourite here & good enough to have for guests too.

Kimmyh - Very nice. Found it a little bit too much liquid for our taste. Will reduce stock liquid next time but will definitely be making again.

deedub - We had this for dinner tonight too! I usually add mushrooms and baby spinach.

kmw - Made this tonight as we had friends over and everyone went back for seconds 😄.  I followed Chelsea suggested method and cooked the rice a couple of minutes longer. Thanks for the recipe I will be making this one again and also think it's a good one for DH to make on a day I work.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:21:05 am by judydawn »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Lynnham

• View Profile
Re: Cacciatore Chicken Risotto - marmee
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:54 am »
I am a new thermomix owner only had it for two weeks. I just cooked this for dinner and it was lovely...I have been looking for a different risotto and this one is very nice...I did add some veggies to it though and just let it sit to cook them through thank  you for the lovely recipe

Lynn

I am no good with photos...here is my recipe from last night.  I reckon this recipe would be very forgiving - I just threw things in and weighed as I went.  Turned out pretty good.

Cacciatore Chicken Risotto

1 onion
1 or 2 cloves garlic
parsley/herbs of choice
100 - 200g bacon
500g chicken, diced (or "dice" it yourself in the TMX prior to step 1)
300g rice
675g liquid chicken stock (or water with your own homemade stock)
tin crushed tomatoes
splash of wine (red or white) - optional
1 Tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
parmesan cheese to serve

* Blitz garlic, onion and herbs, 5 sec, speed 5.
* Add bacon. 3 sec, speed 4 (or until chopped to liking)
* Cook 3 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1.
* Add butterfly.
* Add in all except chicken and cheese.  Cook 10 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1
* Add chicken.  Cook 10-13 mins, 100 deg,  :-: speed 1 (check after 10mins - want to see the liquid absorbed)
* Rest in thermoserver 5 mins and serve sprinkled with cheese, salt and pepper if desired.

;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:37:09 am »
Welcome Lynn - great to have you on board - you may want to go to the Welcome - Introduce Yourself thread and let us know about you.

Thanks for trying marmee's risotto and giving it the thumbs up  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 06:31:28 am »
this is a great recipe have had it quite a few times and we love it, never any leftovers!!
Emma from Victoria

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:34:45 am »
We have a new favourite risotto as of tonight - this is delicious!!!  ;D Thanks Marmee.  I used all of the ingredients listed (including the optional wine, tomato paste, cracked pepper etc), but changed the method a little to suit our preferences.  Basically I just added my herbs at the end, cooked off my rice and wine together and cooked my chicken (cubed thighs) for 6-7 minutes.  Here is the method I used:

Grate parmesan and parsley together on speed 8 for 10 seconds and set aside.
Add garlic and onion and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds.
Add bacon and chop on speed 3 for 2-3 seconds. Scrape down bowl.
Add oil and saute for 2 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Place butterfly in position. Add wine and rice and saute for 3 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Add in tomatoes, tomato paste and stock and cook for 10 minutes, 100 deg, reverse speed 1.
Add chicken and cook for a further 6-7 minutes.
Tip into thermoserver and stir through cheese, herbs and cracked pepper.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »
Thanks Chelsea - like the idea of adding the chicken later in the cooking - I really don't like it overcooked (as you may have noticed)  :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:36:52 am »
I must say that I too have started to add the chiken a little later - although don't mind it either way.  Glad it is a yummy addition to a few family's dinner times  :)
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:45:15 am »
We had this for dinner last night & it was a resounding success. Thank you for the recipe.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 12:05:22 pm »
With all those reccommendations we're having this tomorrow night, except I am going to use some salmon I will steam before and some prawns to make  a seafood risotto.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:49:08 am »
We had this for tea tonight - only made 1/2 the recipe for the 2 of us but still had leftovers for lunch tomorrow. We are not great lovers of risotto and I think this is only the second one I have cooked but it was very nice.  I used chicken tenderloins cut into 3 pieces so had to adjust the cooking time even more.  I ended up cooking the rice for 16 minutes, adding the chicken and only cooking it for a further 3 minutes. Thanks Marmee for the recipe and Chelsea's comments which was what made me try it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:22 am »
I am always looking at reviews to see what people are cooking and enjoying.  This is definitely a favourite of ours.  Actually I may have to put it on the menu plan for next week.  :)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 11:38:41 am »
I am so glad people are enjoying it  :)  It is still a favourite here too!
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 11:04:17 am »
Just bumping this recipe.  I made it again last week and we loved it.  It is the tastiest risotto recipe we have tried so far!  :)

Offline Dublin Girl in Oz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
We had this Sunday and loved by everyone - thanks for the recipe.
Sylvia
Sylvia - Melbourne

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »
Thanks Chelsea for bumping this and the reviews from everyone on how good this recipe tastes.Is on the menu for next week.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.