Author Topic: Chicken liver and pistachio pate  (Read 43207 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Chicken liver and pistachio pate
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:10:03 am »
Chicken liver and pistachio pate

100 gms pistachios shelled or other nuts or no nuts
600 gm chicken livers washed and dried
1 onion large
2 cloves garlic
300 gms butter
1 bouquet garni sachet
Salt and pepper
Brandy or other liqueur

Chop pistachios for abut 4  seconds on  speed 6. Set aside
Chop onions and garlic  for about 5 seconds on speed 6
Add 30 gms of butter. Cook 3/4 minutes  or until soft on 100 speed 1
Add chicken livers, bouquet garni , salt and pepper COOK for about 8 minutes at 100 soft speed and REVERSE
When livers are cooked REMOVE BOUQUET GARNI.
Add the rest of the butter and a tablespoon or two of brandy or any liqueur you fancy
Process until you get the texture you like. I like 30 seconds on 9
Add the pistachios and pour into ramekins/pots or make a big one for party.

You can freeze this pate. If not, it will keep in the fridge wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for a week or more. If you let the air get to it it will change colour but will still be fine to eat. Let your nose be the judge. I always put the plastic wrap in the pots so I can just pull the pate out when set. You can then pop it back into a pot or set it on a plate.

I have been making this for years as my party piece. It's easy as, just remember no matter what weight of chicken livers use 1/2 that weight in butter. Don't think about it just do it. Decadent.

Tips/Hints from members

MM - In response to a question from Chookie - you can add some orange zest.  I use Grand Marnier in mine some times to give the orangey flavour.

Gert - I always have some in the freezer. For a party I make a big one in a quiche pan. For extras I  line some small pots with plastic wrap before freezing. After they are frozen I just lift them out and pop them into a zip lock bag. Very versatile recipe and you can do some Christmas decos  by putting that in to the pot first before setting. Just turn upside down before serving.

Chookie -  Also adapted this recipe using duck livers.  They are easier to clean too.  Added orange rind, port and hazelnuts.   Good combination

bigTcup - This makes heaps so froze a few serves thanks to previous suggestions.  Was a bit dubious about freezing the pate but you wouldn't even know the difference once thawed.

Miranda - One tip is to soak the livers in milk for a couple of hours or over night.  This takes away some of the bitterness that livers can have. Variations - I've include juniper berries, anchovies, the orange zest and some orange juice. You can also substitute bread crumbs that have been lightly soaked in milk for a lot of the butter. Not nearly as sinfully tasty but still very nice and less guilty.  Also dogs adore this if you need to brighten up their dinner, or disguise tablets.

Augusta - I added some short cut bacon, tbsp cognac and port.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:16:02 am by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken liver and pistachio pate
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 03:15:43 am »
Nice one  :D Teens and I love pate, DH has a huge aversion to anything that MAY contain offal lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:22:09 am »
Not everyone is ever going to love pate so it is great that you can make a batch and freeze it in small quantities.  Great recipe, thanks Gretchen.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline whisks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 05:09:51 am »
thanks for the recipe. if it makes anyone feel better, i have come acros recipes which require the same weight in butter and livers......yummmmm....

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 06:44:55 am »
Sounds great Gretchen - thanks.  I love chicken livers and seem to recall another unpublished effort with chicken liver and dukkah pate.

The pistachios sound delish in this.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:38:28 am »
Sadly I am one of those people who just won't/can't eat offal. I remember removing pieces of offal from the sheep when Dad killed them on the farm. I promised faithfully to Mum that I would eat it, but of course never would.  I just enjoyed being allowed to remove it myself using my own 'little knife' I had for the job.  I should have been a butcher I think. :P :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
Thanks for the Pate recipe Gertbysea.   I make Pate as Xmas presents.    The one they liked last year had orange zest in it.  Do you think I could add this ?

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »
OOOH Gretchen this sounds lovely mmmmmm and yes with some orange rind too, what a lovely combination, definitely on my list of xmas list of things to be making, in fact will probably make it to take to MIL's over xmas, together with caramelised onions and caramelised red peppers, nice picky starters and FULL of calories..... :-\ :-\ :-\
Amanda

Spain

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:30:18 pm »
what a lovely recipe. Thank you so much!!!
Barbara

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:03:06 pm »
Oooh, that sounds lovely. 

Paul, can I really, truly not eat pate at the moment, or would it be OK in moderation?  I never know how seriously to take all these strictly forbidden foods & drinks, as many of them seem extreme to me.  But then I don't really understand the mechanics behind it.  I do know though that anything alcoholic is an absolutely forbidden thing in the UK when pregnant, whereas in Germany they say it's fine if you don't have much.  Which makes me wonder about the rest.  It would be lovely to hear that I can have the odd bit of pate!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:30:57 pm »
The orange zest is a good idea.  I use Grand Marnier in mine some times to give the orangey flavour.

CarolineW - it is fully cooked and most of the alcohol gets evaporated so I can't see why not??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:00:56 am »
Thanks for the Pate recipe Gertbysea.   I make Pate as Xmas presents.    The one they liked last year had orange zest in it.  Do you think I could add this ?

Oh yes. I usually use Grand Marnier and zest would be great too. I always have some in the freezer. For a party I make a big one in a quiche pan. For extras I  line some small pots with plastic wrap before freezing. After they are frozen I just lift them out and pop them into a zip lock bag. Very versatile recipe and you can do some Christmas decos  by putting that in to the pot first before setting. Just turn upside down before serving.

Cheeeers,
Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:17:54 am »
The orange zest is a good idea.  I use Grand Marnier in mine some times to give the orangey flavour.

CarolineW - it is fully cooked and most of the alcohol gets evaporated so I can't see why not??

I think it's to do with the vitamin A in the liver, actually.  At least, that's what I was thinking of.  It's just that I find it hard to believe that a smear of pate would unfailingly pack enough vitamin A to harm the baby.  I'd forgotten about the Listeria risk, which is what you meant Wookie  ;), right?

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:43 pm »
Yes, worried about uncooked foods and pregnancy as some pates/terrines have possibly got raw ingredients.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:38:50 pm »
I think its the liver Caroline, but surely one toastie will be ok! Its the same with shellfish, especially mussels, but a few are ok!
Amanda

Spain