Author Topic: Scones - Nay-nay's family recipe  (Read 157913 times)

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Scones - Nay-nay's family recipe
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 12:52:49 am »
Yes - I just use 'pure' cream because that is all I have (no nasty additives) but when adding to this mix use it unwhipped then use the rest to whip and put on your scones with jam or passionfruit butter.  ;)

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:39 am »
They sound wonderful( you are all a bad influence for me - scones for afternoon tea!)
Denise

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2011, 05:52:30 am »
Hi Nay nay

Made your scones for about the sixth time today and realise that I never posted on this thread to say how much I appreciate this recipe.  I have never been able to make scones and I am so wrapt that I found this.  I used some cream that had "turned" on the suggestion of an elderly friend of my mums and it worked fine too, so a great way to save.  Looking forward to having this batch with your passionfruit butter  :D
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2011, 07:00:35 am »
 :DGood onya Lellyj! Yes, I use up cream that I'm not game to use anywhere else on this one too. I won't tell if you don't.  ;)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2011, 07:05:05 am »
Thinking of you again Nay-nay . . . I am making 100s of scones this weekend for the school fete with my grade, they freeze really well.  I wouldn't have attempted this without your superb recipe!  PS I love the new look avatar that means we can actually see you!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2011, 07:56:11 am »
Thinking of you again Nay-nay . . . I am making 100s of scones this weekend for the school fete with my grade, they freeze really well.  I wouldn't have attempted this without your superb recipe! 
Never would attempt that many (especially with kids!) - you are a super-teacher!  ;)
PS I love the new look avatar that means we can actually see you!
Not sure that's good thing.  :-))

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2011, 08:14:30 am »
Okay, I'll be honest, have made about 100 scones with my class and will make about a hundred more with them on Monday, and I'm making all the rest myself!!  I wouldn't make a single one, without your recipe and Clancy (tmx)!  And yes it is lovely to see you, and all the other people who've put themselves out there lately!  I must find a pic where my back isn't to the camera, but this is the only pic I have with Clancy in it!

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:03 pm »
I don't really bake and I've never been able to make scones but this recipe has had rave reviews!

Questions if someone could be so kind:
Does a half batch work just as well?
When I cut them out, how much do I space them out on the tray.  I seem to remember seeing scones baked very close together.
Does the tray get greased or floured?  Do I brush scones with milk or flour or both?
How do you tell when cooked, golden?
Do they taste reasonable the next day?

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2011, 12:10:00 am »
ok - I'll attempt to answer from what I have found - scones always taste best fresh out of oven - but are ok next day (a 10sec warm up is nice) They do colour up nicely when brush with milk (why waste an egg) and you know they are cooked when they are golden. Yes grease tray but can flour if you like. Now the arrangement  on the tray may bring different answers for different reasons but I always arrange close so touching and break them apart when cooked. Hope this helps.  ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2011, 03:45:21 am »
I'll answer the question you missed Nay  :D  Yes, I have made 1/2 a batch successfully Viv.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 04:59:29 am »
just trying out the half batch now in the oven. made about 10 scones
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:43:03 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:00 am »
Oh that's good - I thought there was another question, just couldn't think what it was. Good to know you can do half. Thanks gals  ;)

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2011, 08:23:23 am »
Thanks Nay Nay!  Look forward to trying these, love scones.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:20 am »
Viv

I have made literally hundreds of scones using Nay-Nay's recipe (thanks again  :D, a baked up a storm for the school fete. I have never been a scone maker before, so belive me, it's a ripper recipe!  I use a small cutter, find the measuring cup sucks in the dough a bit and is hard to remove, brush with milk, and put them very close together on the tray--maybe 1 cm apart.  I use baking paper on the tray.  Looking forward to hearing how you go--but I can assure you, if I can make beautiful scones using this recipe, anyone can!!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2011, 03:07:31 am »
Made this for breakfast at church, gone within minutes!  Thanks for your wonderful recipe, Nay-nay!
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.