Author Topic: Batatas Harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes) - with photo  (Read 8254 times)

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Batatas Harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes) - with photo
« on: November 04, 2011, 02:03:30 pm »
Name of Recipe:  Batatas Harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes)

Number of People:  4

Ingredients:
900 g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small, even chunks
160 ml olive oil
1 bulb garlic
Fresh chillies to taste, finely chopped
70 g coriander leaves,  finely chopped

Preparation:
Peel the garlic in the TM by separating into cloves, cutting off the roots and processing at Speed 4 / Reverse Blade / 3-6 seconds.
Remove the skins and chop the garlic for 2-3 seconds / Speed 4.
Remove from the bowl and reserve.
Place the Butterfly in the bowl.
Heat the oil in the TM for 3 minutes / 100 degrees / Speed 1.
Add the potatoes, and cook on Speed 1 / 100 degrees / Reverse Blade / 20 minutes.
Add the garlic and chillies and cook for 5 minutes / MC off adding the coriander for the last minute.
Remove the Butterfly and serve.

Tips/Hints:  They will go with practically any Lebanese dish, but I also like them on their own as a snack or even for breakfast!

If you are unable to find the sort of chillies you want, you can use dried flakes instead.

It does not matter what size the potato pieces are so long as they are even. However you may have to adjust the cooking time and also bear in mind the type of potato you are using.

It is difficult to judge the amount of chilli to use, so you must try to work out for yourself how much you need. The norm would be about 3 medium strength chillies. I never bother removing the seeds. Avoid using chilli powder for this recipe if possible.

The food in the image has rather a lot of olive oil. I like lots of oil, but you can drain it off if you wish, but do not reduce the amount you add the bowl in the first place.

Origin:   Adapted from a recipe in Lebanese Cooking by Susan Ward (ISBN 1850763682)

Photo:   See http://www.flickr.com/photos/34648965@N03/6311692799/in/photostream for a larger version.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:11:31 am by JuliaBalbilla »
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Online Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Batatas Harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes) - with photo
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 07:55:07 pm »
Rosemary, should I have the TMX on reverse when cooking the potatoes?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
Re: Batatas Harras (Lebanese spiced potatoes) - with photo
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:24 am »
Rosemary, should I have the TMX on reverse when cooking the potatoes?

Hi Cuilidh, I did wonder about that!  I took the idea for the instructions from a similar potato recipe and it didn't mention using reverse blade, but with the benefit of hindsight, I think it would be a good idea to do so.  I have amended the recipe accordingly.

Thanks
JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire