Author Topic: zucchini slice/muffins  (Read 18486 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
zucchini slice/muffins
« on: October 26, 2011, 02:42:43 am »
Name of Recipe:zucchini slice/muffins
Number of People:30
Ingredients:375gm zucchini
                     1 large onion
                     1 Cup grated cheese
                     1 Cup SR Flour
                     60 gm oil
                     5 eggs
                     3 rashers bacon
                     salt & pepper to taste

Preparation:pre-heat oven to 175 deg C.
                    peel and 1/4 onion, put in tm bowl.
                    chop zucchini into big chunks - add to tm bowl.
                    chop together 5 sec - sp 6, then scrape down sides of bowl. chop more if needed.
                    add all other ingredients, mix 6 sec - sp 4 (or until combined)
                    put mix into greased muffin pans/oven proof dish.
                    cook approx 20 min for muffins, approx 35 min for slice.

This recipe freezes well.

Photos:to follow...

Tips/Hints:adapted from a recipe my family has been using for years - as long as MY MUM can remember!! So don't know it's origin, hope that's OK?
Very quick and easy, all my family love this including my 9 mth old baby!
Had this all typed out ready to go and lost it when I tried to add the photo...??? Hoping it's not going to be a double post!
Also, if there is already this recipe or a similar one on here already, I apologise - I looked but couldn't see -

members' comments

Kulsha - Thanks for the conversion of this recipe.  The ingredients are the same as one I have been making for years also, except I use about half the cheese.  I processed 2 garlic cloves first and added some chili powder also. I hand chopped the bacon and added at the end as I like to see the bigger chunks of bacon. Another good variation is to swap half zucchini with sweet potato and then add about a tsp of cumin. In fact any vegies are great for this one, even broccoli. I also added a leftover half carrot to mine today with lots of black pepper too.  Sometimes I add sliced tomato just before popping it into the oven. A great versatile recipe!

astarra - I made another batch today (we have an overload of zucchini at the moment!!) with carrot and black pepper in it as you suggested! Very tasty ... better than the original!! Also, I only chopped the Zucchini, onion and carrot for 6 sec on sp 5, DH said it looks heaps better - So we're all very happy now!! Thank you again!
Try steaming these in silicone muffin tins in the varoma, so yum (if I may say so myself!). Very moist.

Songria - I've made this a number of times and my husband said "If you'd told me I'd get excited about zucchini slice I never would have believed you." Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's great hot or cold.

keiramax - Yum - I used a combination of yellow and green squash (instead of zucchini) as I have an abundance of these at the moment.  Works well.  Great as a breakfast dish as well.  Thanks.

Hally - It's different to my regular recipe. We had it for breakfast one day & lunch another day. Will be making it again to freeze for ds school lunches. I added a little more bacon and left it quite noticeable. Renamed it bacon slab & he loved it.
Made these today, this time I used my muffin trays. I spray oiled the base of each muffin bottom, I am not sure why I had trouble getting them out. I lost a few bottoms.
Made another batch of these, this time added cabbage as I didn't  have enough zucchini, also threw some corn in & extra bacon. They look & smell yum.

JD - If I don't line my muffin pans Hally, I often lose my bottom too  ;D  I now cut a circle of baking paper out and put that in the bottom, easy to run a knife around the sides if they are sticking.

Dizzygirl - I love these kinds of recipes. I often add grated carrots, corn, onion and some sun dried tomatoes to mine. You can also swap bacon for left over chicken from a roast. Just turbo the chicken to break it up a bit.

Lellyj - I made this tonight for vego son.  How easy!!  Put in some corn, rather than bacon, however will make again for carnivores because I think bacon would make it extra tasty!  I'm also thinking might add sun dried tomatoes as Dizzy Girl suggests or even some umami paste to add more flavour to a vego version.  Thanks for sharing this super easy dish!

obbie - silicon moulds are easy to get slice/muffins out. I spray with oil first though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:21:59 am by judydawn »
:D

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: zuchinni slice/muffins
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 02:54:08 am »
sorry, can't seem to work out how to post these photos????!!! ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
This is very similar to a zucchini slice that I plan to make this week. Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:23:36 pm »
its easy astarra when you post it says additional options you click on that and you can add and select photos from your computer...just make sure they arent too big or you cant add them either...and only 4 photos per post if i remember correctly!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 07:07:09 am »
Thanks for the conversion of this recipe.  The ingredients are the same as one I have been making for years also, except i use about half the cheese.  I processed 2 garlic cloves first and added some chili powder also. I hand chopped the bacon and added at the end as I like to see the bigger chunks of bacon, my first attempt the bacon disappeared into it (although it still tasted nice) - I haven't mastered the times and speeds yet so maybe I'll work out how to incorporate the bacon so it can be chopped rougher.

This is a great dish to have as a standby in the fridge to just grab when you need a snack. You can cut it up in tiny squares or lunch sized ones. Also a goodie to take to friend's places when you have to take a plate of something.  Another good variation is to swap half zucchini with sweet potato and then add about a tspn of cumun. In fact any vegies are great for this one, even broccoli. I also added a leftover half carrot to mine today with lots of black pepper too.  Sometimes I add sliced tomato just before popping it into the oven. A great versatile recipe!
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 07:10:31 am »
That looks lovely Kulcha.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:58:43 am »
Thanks Kulsha ... I made another batch today (we have an overload of zucchinni at the moment!!) with carrot and black pepper in it as you suggested! Very tasty ... better than the original!! Also, I only chopped the Zucchini, onion and carrot for 6 sec on sp 5, DH said it looks heaps better - So we're all very happy now!! Thank you again!

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:15 am »
No worries  ;D
I agree that its nicer if it has a bit of texture to it otherwise its too smooth - like a savoury cake. Did you hand chop your bacon? I would like to put it in the thermie, was thinking of throwing it in with the veggies next time and just doing a slower speed like you suggest so there are more 'bits' in there.   
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
Darwin, NT

Offline Songria

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:18 am »
I've made this a number of times and my husband said "If you'd told me I'd get excited about zucchini slice I never would have believed you."

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I assume this is able to be frozen?  I have my daughter's second birthday party in just over a week and would like to whip up a batch or two beforehand.
Tasting life, one day at a time.

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:56:11 am »
Yes it freezes well  ;D
Also good for lunchbox (wrapped in portions ready to grab)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
Darwin, NT

Offline Songria

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:07:26 am »
Thanks Kulsha!  :)  I agree.  It's great hot or cold.
Tasting life, one day at a time.

Offline cooking4six

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:35 am »
I adore a good old zuchinni slice, shame my kids don't.  Maybe I can whip one up tomorrow and see if they will eat it because the thermy made it hahaha
Bernie, cooking for six in the stix

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:20 am »
Hello again all - have just thought to revisit this recipe - was so happy to see others have been geting success!!
Also wanted to add .... try steaming these in silicone muffin tins in the varoma, so yum (if I may say so myself!). Very moist.

Kulsha - sorry it has taken me so long to reply ... I actually just get diced bacon from the butcher so chuck it in like that!! cheating, i know!

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »
Yum - I used a combination of yellow and green squash (instead of zucchini) as I have an abundance of these at the moment.  Works well.  Great as a breakfast dish as well.  Thanks

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:02:21 pm »
I made this up in Kalbarri.

Its different to my regular recipe. We had it for breakfast one day & lunch another day.

Will be making it again to freeze for ds school lunches. I added a little more bacon and left it quite noticeable. Renamed it bacon slab & he loved it.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......