Author Topic: When do you need to use the butterfly, and when can you leave it out?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
    • Life of a Military Wife
I thought the butterfly had to be used for pretty much any liquid that you you were thickening, particularly custards, lemon butter and the like.  However we've just had a brief discussion on custard in one of the other threads, and there are a couple of custard recipes that don't use it.

So when is it best to use the butterfly and when can I leave it out?

Also, I was making lentil soup the other day, and every time I turned it on, just up to 3, the butterfly would pop off the blades and rattle around.  After replacing it four times I took it out and cooked without it - can anyone suggest why it wouldn't stay in place?

Thanks!
Melinda

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: When do you need to use the butterfly, and when can you leave it out?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:43 am »
I rarely use the butterfly. I only put it in if the recipe specifically says to use the butterfly. Eg like making butter.

I have no idea why your butterfly would jump off. I guess you had put it on correctly ?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
I rarely use the butterfly. I only put it in if the recipe specifically says to use the butterfly. Eg like making butter.

I have no idea why your butterfly would jump off. I guess you had put it on correctly ?
If I'm following a tmx recipe then I only use it if stated.  If I'm converting another recipe, which I'm doing a lot lately, then I have to guess....

I thought I was putting it on correctly, however once there's soup in the bowl and you can't see the blades then it's hard to tell.   ;)
Melinda

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »
When I use the butterfly (which is only when the recipe suggests or for something like rice risotto here) I scrape the mix off the top off the blades as much as possible then wobble the butterfly down onto them til it feels stable. Sometimes it takes a slight angle change or something to get it sitting down properly, my experience is that if it is not flat and straight then yes, it will fly off.
Hope that makes sense,  :-[ I'm not good at explanations! 
:D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:50 pm »
Taken from List of Hints and Tips:
Butterfly
Once the butterfly is inserted you MUST NOT go over speed 4 - otherwise the butterfly may come off and get damaged in the bowl. When using the butterfly the MC may also be placed in upside down if required. When placing the butterfly into the bowl it goes in the smaller space between the blades.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:24:57 pm »
Like cookie I rarely use the butterfly but when I do it Is important to place the butterfly correctly between the blades.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 10:36:36 pm »
I don't use it much and once the bowl is full it's hard to tell if it's on correctly because you can't see the gap between the blades.

Offline Melinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:04:49 am »
I don't use it much and once the bowl is full it's hard to tell if it's on correctly because you can't see the gap between the blades.
I'm assuming that's what happened, just wouldn't have thought that I could have mis-placed it four times!  The soup cooked well without it.  ;D
Melinda