Author Topic: Fish curry with rice  (Read 17090 times)

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
Fish curry with rice
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »
Ingredients
2-6 small red chillies
2 cloves garlic
125g shallots / spring onions / brown onions
20g lemongrass
25g ginger
¼ cup coriander root and stems
¼ tsp turmeric
1 tbs peanut oil
4 x fish fillets (I used Basa)
400g jasmine rice (washed in basket)
800g water
Veggies of choice (I used bok choy for us, carrots and broccoli for kids)
400ml coconut milk
2tbs fish sauce
4 kaffir lime leaves
1tbs lime juice
Coriander leaves for garnish

Method
1. Put chillies, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, ginger, coriander root, turmeric and oil in TMX and blend for 10 seconds on speed 7.
2. Spread a little bit of the paste on each fish fillet and set the rest aside (I leave off the kids fish altogether)
3. Put water in TMX bowl, rice in basket, veggies in bottom of Varoma and fish in foil on top tray in Varoma, cook for 14 mins / speed 4 / Varoma temp.
4. Put rice in thermoserver, check fish and veggies and continue cooking as required, set them aside when finished.
5. Empty out water of TMX bowl, put reserved paste back into TMX and sauté for 1 min / 100 degrees / speed 1.
6. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, kaffir leaves, lime juice and cook for 4 min / reverse / 90 degrees, speed 2 – 4 (depending on if you want kaffir in tact or chopped up a bit)
7. Serve rice, fish and veggies and top with curry sauce – OR put sauce in a bowl with fish and veggies and serve rice on the side, serve with fresh coriander.

Tips/Hints
This recipe is based on the EDC Asian-style fish fillets, combined with a Women’s Weekly (my fave!) recipe from their New Asian cookbook. It looks like a lot of ingredients but it is really worth it. You could also use prawns, chicken, pork or beef. If cooking for a crowd you could make the paste and cook the curry and fish in a saucepan while thermie is cooking rice and more veggies.

CP: I used Ling and cooked for approx 7 mins more cos in some parts the fish was thicker.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:06:56 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fish curry with rice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:51:32 am »
That does sound nice hopefulcook and I love WW cookbooks  :) :)  Any WW conversion has to be a good one if you can combine it with TMX methods.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:57:09 am »
Sounds very tasty Hopefulcook.  Well done on the recipe conversion  ;)
You could maybe cook the paste before adding it to the fish to lessen the raw garlic/ shallot taste...  that's what I've been doing when adding a paste to fish before steaming.
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:24:48 pm »
I used Ling and cooked for approx 7 mins more cos in some parts the fish was thicker. This is an exquisite dish and the whole family thoroughly enjoyed it and wolfed it down. This is going to be a regular dish for us, so thank you very much hopefulcook  :-*  5/5
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »
Glad you enjoyed it. Mum cooked it for us last night and I enjoyed it even more!!! Tastes so fresh...

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:06:18 am »
 :D Looks good, i have plenty of fish at the moment, so will make this tonight.

thanks,
robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:52:01 am »
Yum.  Thanks for the recipe!!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:05:24 pm »
 ;D  So the verdict. It was so yummy. Made this with barra.
My husband loved it.
Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:42 am »
Thanks for this great recipe, it was enjoyed by the whole family.  I don't like the EDC Asian fish recipe (this recipe is compared to the EDC Asian recipe further up the posts) so don't let that put you off  ;)  Will be making this a regular as we always have fish in the freezer (DH is a mad keen fisherman).
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:43 pm »
Thanks for posting and converting this hopefulcook. It actually has some really lovely flavours and is a very different fish curry to the one I tried from recipe community. I will definitely be making it again.

I would've posted a photo if it wasn't for the fact that I kinda ruined the dish by using dried lemongrass as I forgot to buy the fresh stuff. I know it would ruin it and I still did it :-)) I also needed to cook the fish for a lot longer. I bought barramundi fillets which were very large and thick. Next time I will either cut these in half so they all fit in the top Varoma tray or buy a different kind of fish.

I used broccoli and carrot with this. What veges do others use?

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:23 pm »
I like all the Asian 'spinach' type veggies, eg bok choy, choy sum etc... Also fresh green beans are good. Not very traditional, but capsicum and zucchini work well. You could also use sugar snap peas (don't put in for too long) and baby corn (I am not a fan), but it would go well I reckon. Let me know how any of these combos go!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:11:32 am »
This sounds tasty. I will use some of the cod we caught when we were away.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/