Author Topic: How long have you had a TM and what convinced you to buy?  (Read 14075 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
How long have you had a TM and what convinced you to buy?
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:33 am »
Just thought I would start a post for interest sake.
How long have you had your TM?
And what or who convinced you that you needed a TM?

I have had my TM since January 2011.

And the first time I heard about Thermomixes was when my sisters friend used to say how much she wanted one. She eventually brought one and invited me to demos but I never went because I thought at that price I wasn't even interested at looking. Eventually my sister got the bug and brought one and I started to see the amazing things the TM could do and became very interested my self. I did some research and joined this forum. I soon was addicted and just had to have one. It didn't take much to convince DH as he loves food. I never went to a demo before I ordered my TM as I was already convinced that a TM would be a huge benefit for my large family of 7.

So when and why did you buy a TM?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How long have you had a TM and what convinced you to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09:17 am »
My DD2 invited me to a demo at her place, she had seen the TMX at another demo and mainly had hers so that I could see it.  I had never heard of it but she convinced me I would love it so I went along knowing I was going to buy something very expensive that I knew nothing about.  That was back in Oct 2008 and although I was slow getting going as I had no success with anything much in the beginning (hated the EDC) once I found the forum there was no stopping me.  I love my TMX and I love this forum so my life has changed dramatically since becoming an owner. I always loved to cook so the TMX was never going to just sit there and look pretty, it was just a matter of getting the confidence to use it and finding some good recipes from home cooks who had tried and tested them.  There is no problem finding recipes these days but back in 2008 it was a little different.
I realise that the EDC has had some tweaking done since my edition so things are probably better in that regard but I still prefer the international cookbooks and the forum.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:52:16 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:30:19 am »
 :) Hi I bought my TMX in Sept 2009,  so nearly 2 years old. ( I also bought my husband 2 cars the same week.)
I read a review on taste, and wanted one, ordered sight unseen knowing i would love it.

Now my Mum has one, and my best friend.

Robyn :P
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:40:18 am »
I met a couple of friends a couple of years ago at the shops,they were raving about this new piece of equipment they had in the kitchen. They said I would love it. When I asked what it did they said everything. There began the research! Lots of research! Until eventually my husband  organized a demo and bought it or me ...to shut me up.
I can't believe that was only June - it feels like it has been a part of our routine forever.  I love how my shopping trolley has changed,no processed goods.
Love the forum,although JD, I think the EDC has improved, I wouldn't have had the success I have enjoyed without the forum..
My DD thinks the final song from Wicked,because I knew you, is mine and thermies theme song.( for anyone who has seen Wicked)
Denise

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:49:11 am »
I got my Thermomix in January this year (after wanting one for ages).  I first saw a Thermomix on a food program on the Lifestyle channel.  I was immediately curious about this gadget that could do everything and went off to “Google” it.  I remember telling my partner about this new kitchen appliance I just had to have – he laughed as I already have every other kitchen appliance on the market.  I then told him the price and he stopped laughing! 

Months went by and I still wanted one but told myself I didn't need one, whilst still “Googling” it every second day or so.  We then stumbled upon a Thermomix demonstration one Sunday morning at the Wayville farmers market, what luck!!  After the consultant blitzed raw sugar into icing sugar in seconds my partner was sold.  He sat there mouth opened for the rest of the demo, not believing what Thermie could do.  We have to get one is all he could manage to say!  He (not me) spoke to the consultant and arranged a home demo.  There was no way I wasn't going to buy one now  :)

I don't use it everyday - but I work a full-time job in four days (my choice to have every Friday off), its only my partner and me at home (we can only eat so much) and my partner also cooks (I even let him use it  :D).  On my 3 day weekends I use it constantly.  I don't know if it's saved me any money (if it has I’ve spent it on Thermomix cookbooks anyway!).

I’ve always loved cooking and I love my Thermie and can’t imagine now life without it.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:09:04 am »
I got mine in April 2010, seems like much longer ago, I read about it on a saving money forum of all places! Googled and youtubed it, couldn't get a demo for 6 weeks so ordered it sight unseen then ended up with a delivery demo a couple of weeks later, I use in numerous times everyday, I was trying to cut additives from our diet and the TM has totally changed the way we eat, ( for the better ). My TM sits on a board ontop of my cooktop ( under the range hood as I use the Varoma all the time ) so I rarely use the cooktop anymore.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 03:37:51 am »
I think this post would be interesting reading for people who are yet to decide about getting a Thermomix. It may just help them make the decision. Cause we Thermomix owners know that it would benefit absolutely everyone lol.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:03:45 am »
Late 2010, not sure exactly when  :D

Took a long while to decide, in the end, the time saving factor was a big one for me. Being dairy/soy free and failsafe, alot of time is spent in the kitchen, the thermomix makes some of the tedious jobs so much easier (jams, ketchup). With a toddler, time is precious!

I was tossing up between a kitchenaid or the thermomix, but with all the extra functions of the thermomix, it won. I have still such a long way to go, and there are sooo many more levels to cooking with the thermomix, it feels like a fab investment, as as I get time, I can do more. And when there is no time, I can just stick to the basics!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:14 am »
Since the end of march this year.

Had heard about them for abut 1 1/2 years, but dh said no dont go, yiu will buy 1, it will stay in the cuoboard and not get used like yiur rice cooker and other things.

A friend bought one, we had a demo, dh said we need one. I nowhave 3  friends that have bought one too. So we all have cookimg days :D

Love me tm

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:33:01 am »
I bought mine in April 2009. Two of my friends had bought TM's (one became a consultant) and I went to see a demo at one of their homes. I honestly thought the demo food was a bit boring and couldn't really see the value of the machine on the night. When our reno bill came in $2000 under budget later in the week I started thinking though and decided that perhaps a TM was just the thing for me. My friends were both loving their machines and I decided to give it a go.  Hubby was surprised that I wanted one, but very supportive (I am normally quite careful with our money). We were thrilled with our purchase right from the start. Joining the forum was certainly the icing on the cake though. Such good fun and great inspiration. :-*

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:38:11 am »
I have to agree 100% that the forum and the TM just go hand in hand. Without the forum the TM would just be a great machine. But with the forum the TM is a brilliant kitchen machine.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:52:23 am »
I bought mine nearly two years ago. I heard about them online, and did lots of research before going to a demo.  I ordered one the next day, only because I told my husband I wouldn't buy one at the demo!

I was convinced by healthy, homemade food without the time, inconvenience and mess!  Also I had a baby and a toddler at the time, and was constantly ruining dinner because someone did a poo, then they'd fight, then someone would want feeding- I would forget to stir dinner, or take it out of the oven!

Now 2/3 sisters have one, an aunt, and about 20 of my friends!  I should have been a consultant, but no time to spare :)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:13:41 am »
I've had my Zumbo since June.  My sister-in-law has a TMX and after seeing what it could do I had to have one too.  Thought about it for a few months (big expense), researched it and finally organised a demo at the end of which we signed up.  Very satisfied customers! 
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:22:25 am »
I got my TMX back in May 2010.  I first heard of it from a friend who had one and was inviting people to a demonstration.  Unfortunately I was unable to attend but my interest was piqued so I did a bit of research on the internet and asked other people about it (some had heard of it, but none had first hand knowledge of it).  I rang my friend back to say that if she was having another demonstration to keep me in mind.

I thought nothing more about the TMX until she rang a couple of months later to tell me of a demonstration led by Jude Blureau – this time I was able to get to the demonstration and that was it all over.  The benefits were instantly obvious - I went home and raved about it to DH and, shortly after that, there was a Back to Basics class nearby so I dragged DH along and the outcome was inevitable.  By then he had decided he was fighting a losing battle to say no, anyway.

It helped that my food processor had just died a sad death a month or two before and I was looking to replace that – buying the TMX instead was a “no brainer”, as they say.   I didn’t find this forum until several months after I had purchased my TMX but I’ve not looked back since.  TMX and the forum = marriage made in heaven!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:28:10 am »
Saw my SIL's machine on Christmas Day, and she showed me how she makes custard. Then I had a look through her EDC and I was sold. HO was closed over New Year, and I did lots of (secret) internet researching in the meantime cos DH said it was abit expensive for a kitchen appliance  :-)) So that was January 2009, and its been true love  :-* ever since. Belonging to this forum has made the whole experience very enriching.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand