Author Topic: Beef & spinach  (Read 7246 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Beef & spinach
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:19 am »
Name of Recipe:  Beef and spinach

Number of People: 3-4 servings

Ingredients:

400 rump steak (1.5cm dice)
 2 cloves garlic
 2 red onions, chopped roughly                        
 1 stalk celery with leaves, chopped roughly                          
 30g olive oil
 1/4 cup red wine
 leaves from 4 sprigs fresh thyme
 1/4 bunch parsley, chopped roughly
 250g freshly cooked spinach (or use thawed frozen spinach but this is much finer than spinach you
                                                                    would cook and chop yourself)
1 tblspn concentrated vegetable stock
200 ms water
cornflour to thicken

Preparation:

Place garlic, quartered onions and roughly chopped celery in TM bowl. Chop for 5 seconds on speed 7. Add oil, saute 3 minutes 100o on speed 1.  Add the cubed beef, the wine and rest of ingredients except the cornflour and cook for 20 minutes on 100oC on reverse, soft speed.  Thicken to your taste at the end of the cooking time with cornflour mixed with a little water.
Serve with mashed potato & vegies, over rice or place in casserole dish, top with some pastry and bake in the oven.  
The mixture is best left to sit for a while for the flavours to develop.

You could use freshly chopped spinach but I had frozen packs of home grown spinach in the freezer and find it easier to work with than huge amounts of fresh spinach.

members' comments

Thermomixer - if you have lots of fresh spinach then you could place it in the Varoma while doing the initial cook and it will wilt down to more manageable quantities to add to the TMX bowl.

babymaker - Mmm 5/5 from us! we put the uncooked fresh baby spinach in the thermoserver and topped with the cooked meat and sauce so the heat from that cooked it, we then did mash potatoes with steamed veg in the varoma to go with it.  You're right, the meat just got more tender sitting in the saver.

JD - Oct 2011 - I revisited this one today for the first time since I made it way back in 2009.  Changed things slightly.
I used 400g blade steak cut into 3-4cm pieces & 150g water - cooked 50 mins/90o/reverse/speed 1 and used Thermomixer's suggestion of placing chopped fresh spinach in the varoma dish during this time to wilt.  Added it to the bowl and cooked an extra 5 minutes before thickening slightly. Also added a tablespoon of FOSM with the liquid.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:33:01 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Beef & spinach
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:55:03 pm »
Thanks JD - if you have lots of fresh spinach then you could place it in the Varoma while doing the initial cook and it will wilt down to more manageable quantities to add to the TMX bowl.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 10:58:16 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:18 am »
Good advice, hopefully I would have thought of that if I was using fresh.  Appreciate your comments as they can only help other cooks.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »
Mmm 5/5 from us! we put the uncooked fresh baby spinach in the thermoserver and topped with the cooked meat and sauce so the heat from that cooked it, we then did mash potatoes with steamed veg in the varoma to go with it, your right the meat just got more tender sitting in the saver  :-*
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:03 am »
Glad you liked it Babymaker.  This must have been one of the first recipes I converted so didn't really know what I was doing at the time but it tasted OK so thought I'd be brave and post it ??? ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:58:31 am »
Gosh, how did I miss this one? Thanks for bumping it Babymaker. It looks lovely Judy. Will add it to my list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37:43 am »
I revisited this one today for the first time since I made it way back in 2009.  Changed things slightly.
I used 400g blade steak cut into 3-4cm pieces & 150g water - cooked 50 mins/90o/reverse/speed 1 and used Thermomixers suggestion of placing chopped fresh spinach in the varoma dish during this time to wilt.  Added it to the bowl and cooked an extra 5 minutes before thickening slightly. Also added a tablespoon of FOSM with the liquid.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:52:07 am by judydawn »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
i can see pies for lunch tomorrow , nice combo
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:05 am »
Not tomorrow fundj - got the grand children coming for the day so will be weber roasting a chicken for them.  The recipe was  made with the intention of using leftovers as pie fillings though  ;)