Author Topic: Cleaning formica  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Cleaning formica
« on: September 03, 2020, 01:44:07 am »
When we completed our renovation we moved the kitchen from upstairs, downstairs for the staff to use as a kitchen.  They were really pleased and happy with this but they have made a terrible mess of it, it is badly stained and every time I look at it my heart breaks just a little bit more.  It was a lovely kitchen unit and we had kept it pristine for 20 odd years, in just a couple of months it is a mess.

I want to try to clean it during lockdown so that it will be more presentable when we (eventually) are allowed to re-open.  It is a textured light green coloured formica.  Does anyone have any ideas of a suitable product that will clean the stains - mainly made from the bottom of a metal biscuit tin and spilled tea / coffee.  Because I try to use my own home made cleaners (which don't seem to be working this time) I have to resort to those found on supermarket shelves and I am not really very familiar with them anymore ... there are so many, it is bewildering.  Does anyone have any suggestions please.  Thanks.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning formica
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 03:26:34 am »
What a shame Marina, people don’t care for our possessions as we do unfortunately. I googled ‘best product to clean a formica benchtop‘, there are lots of suggestions there for you to read.  Good luck with it and I hope you can educate your staff to look after it if you can bring it back to how it was.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 05:33:05 am »
Thanks Judy.  How often you have responded to my vague queries by checking on google for me ... after all this time, I still don't think to do it first myself.  I must learn that google undoubtedly has an answer to just about everything - I think Youtube is also like that.  I'm off to check on both.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 12:24:11 pm »
I hope you find something Marina. It is awful when you treat things so well and others forget too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/