Author Topic: Juicing - What am I doing wrong?  (Read 14878 times)

Offline Foodie Mum

• View Profile
    • Foodie Mum
Juicing - What am I doing wrong?
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:09 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading a lot about green smoothies lately and thought I'd give them a go. I started with one granny smith apple, added two carrots, a large handful of spinach and two ice cubes. But the end result was just chopped up pieces and no actual juice. I had to strain it and the squeeze out all the juice by hand and strain again.

I'm assuming if I had a lot more ice or water there would be more liquid but I really want to make pure fruit and vegetable juices. Also, all the pieces just seem to stay on the sides of the Thermomix bowl. I have to turn it off and push it all back down because the spatula hardly reaches and then do it all over again within seconds.

The juice was absolutely beautiful but I don't see myself making these regularly if it's such a hassle.

I would love for someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong or give any tips.

Many thanks,
Carla
Foodie Mum & Thermomix Consultant

My Blog - http://foodiemum.com
Family friendly recipes with a focus on organic wholefoods and cooking with love.

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
Re: Juicing - What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:44 pm »
Hi Carla,
I'm no pro juicing with thermomix. While it's healthier because the whole fruit is there, I can't go past the flavour of the juice from my juicer. I follow the recipes for juicing with thermomix (or as a base) because you do need that big volume of water/ice for it to work-this dilutes the flavour too much for my liking though!
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:37:29 pm »
Carla, you don't need to add water if you don't want to but you will need to add a handful of ice not just two cubes. What speed are you using as well?

I make juice everyday and depending on who is drinking it whether it has water added to it or not.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:02:40 am »
Yes, we make it everyday - a big handful of ice (sometimes two), no water, except at the end if it's too thick. Speed 9-10 for a minute or even two. Love it!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »
thought I should let you know that the ice is what makes the juice smooth and emulsifies the fibre to the liquids - very technical I know!!   :D

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Foodie Mum

• View Profile
    • Foodie Mum
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »
Thanks so much for your replies. I'll be adding more ice  ;D

Family friendly recipes with a focus on organic wholefoods and cooking with love.

Offline KylieJade

• View Profile
    • Embrace Better Health
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:58 am »
Hi Carla - I am a BIG fan of Green Smoothies - I even have a video of me making one on my website -

http://embracebetterhealth.com.au/greensmoothie.htm

but think of them as smoothies not juices. I always do the greens first with ice cubes (about 4-6) and water in TM to really pulverise them up - then add my favourite fruits - banana makes thick and creamy so usually add 1, pears will give it a beautiful sweetness (peel and core), and anything else really, strawberries, mango, peach (seasonal - although I buy boxes in summer and freeze for winter), kiwi, anything you like!

They are the best thing for your health – one tip to get the best out of your green smoothie - CHEW it–  i.e. hold in your mouth for a few seconds and ‘chew’ it – it mixes with the enzymes in your mouth to aids digestion and also warms the drink...especially good in winter when you don’t want to fill your belly with ice cold liquid.

Offline KylieJade

• View Profile
    • Embrace Better Health
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 03:41:22 am »
- one other thing Carla- the classic green smoothie only mixes fruit with dark green leafy veg - no other veg should be used as strachy veg & fruit don't usually mix as well... i.e. no carrot or beetroot or celery or brocoli. Use celery leaves, carrot tops, spinich, parsley, basil, bok choy (green bit only) pak choy, choy sum, silver beet, kale, etc etc...

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 10:09:08 am »
Like Jade says Carla they are smoothies not juices.  I hope our wonderful Branch Manager Janine won't mind me posting this but she feels the secret to the perfect silky smooth vegetable smoothie/juice is speed & slowly adding the water - somewhat like adding oil for mayonnaise.  Note the method particulaly & vary your vegies/fruits according to tast.

This is her beetroot smoothy recipe:

Ingredients
•   Beetroot, half  medium size- peeled
•   Celery, 1 stick
•   Cucumber – 8 cm piece
•   Carrot – half medium size
•   Banana – half and frozen
•   Berries – half cup
•   Greens – hand ful (rocket, spinach, silverbeet etc)
•   Super foods – optional (flaxseed meal, purple corn extract, acacia powder, bee pollen, goji berries, vitamin C etc)
•   700mls filtered water

Method
Add all prepared vegetables, fruit and super foods into the TM Jug. Add 50 mls of water and pulverise, speed 9 for 10 seconds.
Set timer for 2 minutes and continue at speed 9, slowly adding the remainder of the water to the lid during the next 40 seconds.
Continue the pureeing until the 2 minutes are finished. Adjust the thickness by adding additional water if necessary. Mix, speed 4 for 4 seconds to incorporate additional water.
Serve immediately, can be sipped during the morning or be consumed as a raw breakfast smoothy.

Let us know how you go!

Offline Foodie Mum

• View Profile
    • Foodie Mum
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 08:40:08 am »
Thanks so much for the recipe. I'll definitely give that a try.

I did discover after posting that the classic green smoothies don't contain vegetables so I have modified them. I now usually use organic green apples, kale and some sunflower sprouts. They change every day but that's my favourite and the smoothie I make the most often. I no longer use ice cubes as it seems easier with just a glass of water.

The Thermomix makes it so easy to make these every morning now!  :D