Author Topic: Challenging Diet  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Challenging Diet
« on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:45 am »
Do any of you remember that famous message from Apollo 13 … “Houston, we’ve got a problem”?

Well, my problem isn’t quite so dire as Apollo 13’s, but I do have a problem that I hope you can help me with.

We are having guests over the New Year break and one of them cannot eat grains or sugar!  Remembering that my DH is lactose intolerant and I am vegetarian … well, therein lies the problem.  To start with, we have rice or pasta with most of our meals and they are both ruled out.

Obviously, I have DH and I under control (well, generally, I think I have us both under control), but what can I make for our guest?  I don’t know yet whether she can eat fruit or not, so desserts are problematic as well.  Sugar of one sort or another is in just about everything. 

Meals wouldn’t be a problem in a normal household – you can always fall back on meat and two veges, but we cannot do this with me being a vegetarian (if pushed, DH could always cook some meat but, in all honesty, the smell of meat makes me gag).  A barbecue could work as it is cooked outside, but we have a solid fuel BBQ and it is the season of total fire bans – perhaps we should invest in a gas BBQ.

Anyway, before I ramble on and on and on …. any and all inspired inspiration or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Challenging Diet
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:50 am »
Gosh, Marina does have a problem and I think it could be almost as bad as Houston's.
Is the person a diabetic and that is why they can't eat sugar? You are right about sugar in everything. I will try to have a think but everything I come up with seems to have a problem ingredient or two.

I just found this site, I don't know if it's helpful. http://www.livelovenourish.com.au/recipes.html
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:06:05 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:20:43 am »
Oh dear Marina. Will be very awkward if fruit is not allowed. I have two suggestions, Rainbow Recipes (vegan) and Quirky Cooking http://www.quirkycooking.com.au. Look under substitutes for some ideas. That's all I can come up with.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 01:31:33 pm »
Cauliflower rice is a great alternative or zucchini noodles both to accompany a dish.
Good luck and let us know what you serve up.
Denise

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:50:29 pm »
A very difficult challenge for you Marina. How about this recipe Baked Red Onions with walnut salsa.I realize your DH can't have dairy but maybe you could leave the cheese off his plate.
Delia Smith has a few roasted/ stuffed vegetable recipes too.
Boiled eggs with steamed asparagus for dipping or sweet potato wedges to dip.I'll keep thinking  :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 07:23:10 pm »
Thanks for those ideas, please keep them coming - I'll definitely use them as a basis for more ideas.  There are always salads (thank goodness it's summer!) and I also thought about buying a spiralizer but am not sure if that will simply be a purchase that I would only use once and never again.  At least I have got a couple of weeks yet to come up with suitable alternative meals.

Offline Bootobethin

• View Profile
Challenging Diet
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 08:07:44 pm »
Cuilidh is the person following a low FODMAPS. diet? Is it all sugar or added sugar they are avoiding? On such a restrictive diet I would ask them if they would like to bring a special dish themselves that they enjoy. I know that is what works well for us here .
Green beans cooked in tomato passata is really yummy and is nice hot or cold. You can also cook desserts with Natvia instead of sugar. Roast vegetables are also good and can be served with balsamic vinegar sprinkled over them.
Good luck. I will keep thinking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:09:18 pm by Bootobethin »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 08:27:45 pm »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 10:18:58 pm »
You sure have a difficult task there Marina and hopefully some of the ideas the girls have put forward will solve your problems.  They must be aware of how difficult it is for their hosts, do they have a particular website from which they source their recipes?  You may have to make something they can eat and then separate dishes for you and DH rather than something you all can eat.  Good luck with it all, I don't envy your problem.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 03:33:16 am »
You sure have a difficult task there Marina and hopefully some of the ideas the girls have put forward will solve your problems.  They must be aware of how difficult it is for their hosts, do they have a particular website from which they source their recipes?  You may have to make something they can eat and then separate dishes for you and DH rather than something you all can eat.  Good luck with it all, I don't envy your problem.
Actually, with everyone's help, I've now started compiling a few recipes and good ideas that look as though they will work -  frittatas and pastry free muffins are looking good, Cookie's link has given me what looks like a delicious raw strawberry cheesecake.  I still don't know if our visitor is on a FODMAP or other restrictive diet or if it is just something she wants to do for her own health.  Her husband said that they would bring some meat up and they are only staying three days / two nights so I should be able to come up with enough ideas (I hope).  I will scour another couple of  my recipe books and also check with the wonderful Mr Google and see if he comes up with anything as well.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:44 am »
Google some vegan paleo recipes. Grain, egg, and dairy free.
The minimalist baker and the shrinking husband are good sites. My Darling Lemon Thyme is an Aussie site that is paleo but has lots of vegan recipes also.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:56:53 pm »
I'll keep looking.  I have now discovered that there is a "No Grain No Sugar" diet so there must be a fair few recipes on the various related forums / blogs.  I haven't heard of the blog The Shrinking Husband, but love the name, must head over to investigate!

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 11:36:31 am »
I just had a look at the Shrinking Hubby. Lots of lovely recipes to try from there. Thanks mcmich :)
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“