Author Topic: Yay I made mayonnaise. After 3 failed attempts  (Read 12841 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Yay I made mayonnaise. After 3 failed attempts
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:46:11 am »
I am so pleased it worked this time. I tried the recipe from the EDC but failed. Then I tried again and failed. Then I tried re using the failed mayonnaise and failed and gave up.  Did some research and decided to use the whole egg without the butterfly method and it worked. I'm so happy. (dosnt take much to make me happy)
I noticed the original mayonnaise in my fridge has sugar added. Can I add sugar to make the TM mayonnaise a little sweeter?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: Yay I made mayonnaise. After 3 failed attempts
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 12:55:17 am »
Dede, if you try out some of the mayo recipes from the condiments and sauces section of this forum, youll find you rarely have a  failure, especially the salad dressing with anchovies. I know I'm weird but I  could eat anchovies all day! I don't ever use the butterfly and I put in a whole egg, a half teaspoon of mustard, some sea salt and then drizzle in the oil slowly through the lid with the MC upside down. It takes a good 4 minutes for everything to emulsify and then get the right mayo consistency. If it is too thick, just add in more oil. If too thin, add more egg. Overall, for one egg I use about 3/4 cup of oil, normally rice bran oil or combination olive oil and rice bran oil to get a neutral taste as I find using straight olive oil too strong a flavour. Once you make proper mayonnaise, you never go back to store bought!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:06:21 am »
You poor thing, 3 batches failed!  Well, at least you've got it now!  I always put a tablespoon of honey in mine because I like it a bit sweeter.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:48 am »
I'm so glad you didn't give up, but kept on until it worked!

I use honey in mine too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:51:24 am »
Glad you finally had some success - it can be frustrating when it doesn't go well!
I always use a whole egg in mine, but I use the butterfly.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:52 am »
I tried the whole egg recipe but definitely prefer the only egg yolk one.  I've never put honey but would like to give it a go - when and how much??

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:12 am »
I just read this and thought id give it a go. I think its come out ok.... much to my surprise. Chucked a spoonful of honey for good measure.  Its not as thick as store bought but i suppose thats because there is not thickeners in it!!! No to try it on the salad!!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:02 am »
Hools, I find it turns out really thick sometimes, and sometimes not so thick.  Nik, I put the honey, egg yolk, mustard, white wine vinegar, salt & pepper (and garlic, parsley & shallots too, usually) in first, then the oil, then add the egg white at the end (still beating with butterfly) and it turns out really fluffy.  :) (This is my recipe here)

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:45:56 am »
Thanks for the tip Jo, i've saved your mayo recipe to try next time, it looks yummy.  My mayo actually tasted and looked, although a bit runnier, like the English salad cream!  The boys liked it too. Thats always a plus ;D

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
Well done Dede. Real mayonnaise is delish, isn't it!  You must have a real feeling of accomplishment after trying three goes! 

I failed with my first attempt at the EDC mayo but managed to resurrect it using Jo's advice from another thread.  It was delicious.  Initially I didn't think I would make mayonnaise with my thermomix as it is pretty high fat and I only buy it for special recipes, but then I wanted some sauce to put on my husbands steak and I thought I would try to make the mayo and mix some seeded mustard through it.  It was so delicious, now I think I will always make mayo in my thermomix!  I usually buy SW or Thomy mayo when I do buy it, which is about$6 a jar so thermomix is way cheaper

I am looking forward to making some of the other versions on the forum--especially ones that involve anchovies.  I could eat anchovies all day, too
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I Definitly will try with the honey and maybe chuck in a couple of other ingredients. Can I add a bit of honey in the mayonnaise I made today or will that cause it to separate. I don't think it will get eaten as is because it's a little to oily tasting.

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:33:44 am »
I too have had failed mayonnaise - I think only twice but ended up buying a jar as I wasn't game to have another go. Thanks QuirkyJo for the advice about using the failed mayo and trying again. I actually used the failed mayo on my shredded chicken salad from the MOM cookbook as it was like a dressing. No one seemed to complain. My sister has had success every time with her mayo and I had planned to see her make it at Christmas time while I was with her but she already had a batch and didn't need to make more so we didn't get there. Anyway, after Dede's success I will keep trying. I know the first time was the result of not having the egg at room temp but the second time I got the egg straight from the chook pen so don't know whether it was just adding the oil too quickly that did it.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:52:29 am »
Roxy, it can also be the acid content - if you use lemons the acid levels vary, that's why I use white wine vinegar, and it always seems to work.  But definitely go slow with drizzling the oil in at first, at least til it's nearly done, then you can speed up a bit.

I've seen a recipe with balsamic vinegar too, and I'd like to try that one - sounds yummy!  I also love the sun-dried tomato version in the chicken & potato salad in the Festive coobook - soooo delicious - I use it just as a spread on bread!  :)

Dede, you should be fine to stir some honey in - I've whipped it in at the end when I've forgotten it, and it has stayed fluffy.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 01:01:59 am »
Thanks quirlycooking. I will gove it a go now

Offline Shiraz49

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:32:43 am »
Well done Dede. Full points for keeping at it. Think I have just been lucky with the mayo. Haven't had a failure. Am now using Elisabeths mayonnaise (recipe on forum somewhere). Need to use the batch I have just made so I try the honey in it.