Author Topic: Fruit Loaf - with photos  (Read 77110 times)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Fruit Loaf - with photos
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 12:23:36 am »
Ha ha, you would be correct there VHJ.  Either that or Chookie has a bread making business on the side ;D ;D
;D ;D If she has -at least those who buy her bread will be getting fantastic quality.
I use Lauke flour because -as mentioned on this forum previously- they are the only company who refuse to comply with the mandatory ruling to include Folate in the flour. Too much research says it could be detrimental to our health- especially for males I believe.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:14:54 pm by Very Happy Jan »
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 05:10:33 am »
JD,  no bread making business on the side,   But some very well fed chooks

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 06:40:06 am »
Isn't it amazing?  There are some of us who had never made their bread before, now doing it. Others who gave it a go now and then but didn't do it regularly (me)-all these people are now regularly making their own bread. Thanks TMX.

I used to love kneading the dough as I found it relaxing, but not on hot days. Now Termite does it all.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 10:49:58 am »
LOL - I have always hated kneading - used a mixer to do it then No_knead classes - too bloody lazy/impatient.  ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 10:58:12 am »
I don't mind kneading but we don't have to now.  Many other options

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:02 am »
The good thing is that we have the option to do a bit of kneading if we need (knead?) to get rid of some aggro... but the TMX will do the bulk of it.

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:40 pm »
I just made this, and it is DELISH. But from the texture of the end slices I don't think mine is cooked all the way through either - I had it on 200 fan forced but may try lower next time. My oven does seem to run a little hot. I popped it back in for a bit with some foil over the top so it doesn't burn, hopefully that works.

So easy! I had to have the oven on to cook some lamb so just mixed this up and threw it alongside.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 02:17:33 pm »
Georgie,  my oven runs 40 C over what the dial says and it's only 2 years old.  I bought an oven thermometer as I was having problems with things cooking too quick and was quite surprised at just how much out it was.  I know now to  set it 40 degrees less than I want it, and I no longer have problems with what I bake.  I do tend to leave the thermometer in the oven to make sure the temp is right, especially when baking cakes and delicate things like pavlovas.  Good luck, I hope it turned out for you.  :)

Offline Georgie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »
Thanks Julie ... yep, it's fine now. Mine's only a few years old too (before that I had one where the seals were stuffed and nothing cooked properly at all!), I've been meaning to get one of those thermometers for ages.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 08:24:50 pm »
Julie, I've made this bread a couple times now with great success but yesterday's had quite a dense texture and isn't toasting very well. Could the change in texture be a result of too much water? I remembering thinking the dough seemed wetter than previous times.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 10:15:53 pm »
Hi Wonder.  I've only made this loaf the one time so far, so I'm only presuming that what you say is right.  It does sound like too much water.  I'm so not an expert in bread making, not something I've done much of until recently, but if you make it again, just be careful that you put the right amount in and if it seems more wet than the times when it's been successful, maybe add a bit  more flour to it.  It is a wet mixture anyway, certainly more so than a normal dough mixture.  Maybe someone who has made more of these Simply No Knead loaves can offer more help than my limited experience.  :(

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:40 am »
Firstly,  I haven't made this loaf.   I looked at the recipe,  and it would appear to have a v ery high ratio of water to flour.   The other main ingredient is the fruit.    It may be the condition of the fruit,  very dry or very fresh, is making the difference .If the fruit is very dry , maybe soaking it in a little of the recipe water for 1/2 hour prior to mixing may help.   

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 05:51:48 am »
Looked up the 'no knead ' recipe book.  They have a very similar recipe,  but suggest that it be cooked in 2 tins.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 08:29:15 am »
Thanks Chookie -  I was going to check mine and forgot
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 08:20:31 am »
This is a fantastic recipe and a regular one for us now. The kids and adults all love it! I wasn't sure what size my loaf tin was originally so I make it in 2 tins and then cook for 35 mins at 180C. The smaller slices are great for the children so it works well for us. Only complaint is the 2 loaves never last as long as they should!! Friends can't beleive it's homemade.
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)